Technical Outside temperature gauge showing low temp

Currently reading:
Technical Outside temperature gauge showing low temp

whaley

Hi All,

Out Fiat 500 has just started to report Ice on the road on every trip now. We live on gold Coast Australia with 30ish Celsius temps at the moment, so i guess in this weird world we may encounter Ice on the road, but probably more like an issue with a temperature sensor. Could anyone point me to where i may fin the outside temp sensor on fiat 500 2008 1.4l |100hp model and if there are any known issues with them reading low temps?

thanks heaps
John

It's going to be in one of the mirrors.. they look like a little pimple on the underside.

You can get the sensor by itself so don't be persuaded that you need a whole new mirror.

The sensors do pack up occasionally.. on the 500X forum at least... and I'd expect they're made by the same firm.

Ralf S.

Yes there are some cheap aftermarket sensors available on the likes of eBay which do the job perfectly well. Fairly easy to change if you remove the mirror glass, take the mirror housing off the car and (from memory) you may need to remove the trim cover (the colour-coded bit) also to get access. The sensor is just turn-clipped in from the inside of the housing. There's a bit of a knack to some of it - remove the glass first with a broad flat blade inserted behind at either top or bottom, to lever it off carefully from the circular adjuster pad. The rest then becomes easier to work out (the trim cover has clips which can be levered up from inside once the glass is removed. Best to solder the new sensor in.

The factory sensors fitted to 500X's seem to be particularly poor - I've done quite a few of those now.... 500s better but failure not unknown.

Nick

Back