General Ordered twin air 500 lounge 9th April

Currently reading:
General Ordered twin air 500 lounge 9th April

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully getting the car next but still have the finance paper work to do with the dealer. Why they could not arrange the finance paper work during the last 8 weeks since we ordered the car is beyond me. Dealer said the paper work may take a week to process. :(

The dealer i'm using did my finance paper work the day I ordered the car and rang up the day after to confirm it all... they rang today to say the car is waiting to be shipped over here so hopefully I have'nt got long to wait!!

Hope it all goes smoothly for you :D

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully getting the car next but still have the finance paper work to do with the dealer. Why they could not arrange the finance paper work during the last 8 weeks since we ordered the car is beyond me. Dealer said the paper work may take a week to process. :(

Your dealer doesn't sound that great. Got the car registered ages before you have it (probably to get into May sales figures) then say the finance may take a week because they haven't been bothered to sort it out before now. They don't want to release the car until they get paid out that's why.

Poor dealer, poor salesman! Actually on saying that, it may just be the salesman who's letting the dealership and you down??

Picked up my TA lounge last Wed, very nice hand over from G Hopkins Chelmsford dealership.

Very happy with the trade for my 1.2 lounge. The TA engines brilliant, the power difference is remarkable, including the Eco mode,.

So far ave 55mpg at 60 up and down the A12 -traffic speed means that's the norm so select Eco mode and getting the same as my 1.2.

My TomTom2 now works fully and worth the money, the SS takes some getting used to but it's good.

I am really pleased that Fiat have done something about the saggy leather drivers seat and added a extra stitch line, so hopefully I won't have that issue with this 500.(y)
Overall so far well worth the wait.

Picked up my TA lounge last Wed, very nice hand over from G Hopkins Chelmsford dealership.

Very happy with the trade for my 1.2 lounge. The TA engines brilliant, the power difference is remarkable, including the Eco mode,.

So far ave 55mpg at 60 up and down the A12 -traffic speed means that's the norm so select Eco mode and getting the same as my 1.2.

My TomTom2 now works fully and worth the money, the SS takes some getting used to but it's good.

I am really pleased that Fiat have done something about the saggy leather drivers seat and added a extra stitch line, so hopefully I won't have that issue with this 500.(y)

Great to hear that feeback including the Tom Tom Live 2.(y)
Could you post a picture of the 'new' leather seats ?
I take it that you wouldn't be going back to a 1.2.:)

Another thumbs up for the TA. Join the Club.(y)

Your dealer sounds as useless as mine was. Make sure you get in asap to sort out the paperwork to prevent any more delays than necessary.

And thanks for that seat pic, I don't think mine has the extra stitch, and it's a bit saggy now. I'll get onto the local fiat dealer next week about it and see if they can get a case opened with Fiat about it.

Don't want to question anyone's response here but this is most definitely not normal. As suggested above, the dealer has probably done it to get a may registration. Maybe this is to suit them or maybe even in your interests for some reason like finance etc. It is most definitely not normal.

Regardless of having the correct documentation to do the registering on Afrl they 100% require your permission by getting your dated signature before registering. This is something the dvla are red hot on when they check the dealers paperwork. Basically it's down to data protection and the dvla database getting permission to store your info. Have you signed and Afrl form?

Then there is having relevant insurance for a vehicle that you haven't even got. How and what insurance info did they use.

They may have been acting in your best interests, but they are in a very sticky situation if you haven't actually signed an Afrl form.

This info may get you a quicker delivery

Last edited:
We are finally getting the wife's 500 on Tuesday so that will have been 9 and a half weeks!

Don't want to question anyone's response here but this is most definitely not normal. As suggested above, the dealer has probably done it to get a may registration. Maybe this is to suit them or maybe even in your interests for some reason like finance etc. It is most definitely not normal.

Regardless of having the correct documentation to do the registering on Afrl they 100% require your permission by getting your dated signature before registering. This is something the dvla are red hot on when they check the dealers paperwork. Basically it's down to data protection and the dvla database getting permission to store your info. Have you signed and Afrl form?

Then there is having relevant insurance for a vehicle that you haven't even got. How and what insurance info did they use.

They may have been acting in your best interests, but they are in a very sticky situation if you haven't actually signed an Afrl form.

This info may get you a quicker delivery

Oh and if it's anything like every other vehicle I have registered you are losing warranty by the day. It starts from dat of registration

This is a very good point. If registering on behalf of someone else i do believe you need the AFRL form signed by the customer - my Parents had to check their details on the AFRL form & sign it a week before we were due to collect our new 500 in March. I used to register via AFRL on behalf of a fleet management company so we didn't have individual customers' signatures on each AFRL form as each vehicle was part of a fleet, but in your instance a signed form would need to be present i believe. I suppose it could suffice for you to sign the AFRL form when you collect the car, but that's not how it should work. I was assuming the paperwork had already been checked by yourself when i wrote my previous reply, but as the finance paperwork hasn't been done yet i'm guessing you've not seen the AFRL form either? It should be a single sheet of A4 paper with your name & address, details of the car & the date of registration, plus a space at the bottom for your signature & date.

The point about warranty is also important. As already said, they might be registering it early for the benefit of the customer - though in this case it seems less likely since the finance offers don't usually change between May & June, as they run quarterly - but given it would appear it was registered at the end of May (V5C will confirm the date of registration) there could be some sales target motivation behind it (getting a few reg's in before the month end).

On collection check that the tax disc expires 31/05/13 as this will mean the vehicle was taxed with extra weeks so that you still get 12 months tax from collection in June. If it expires 30/04/13 it means they've just slapped a regular 12 months tax on it from the registration date in May, which is damned cheeky considering you're not getting the car until June. If this is the case i'd also be enquiring about the state of play regarding Fiat warranty & when that actually started. Not the end of the World but abit shadey given that they've not bothered to sort out the finance paperwork in any sort of hurry.

That's exactly what I was getting at jtd

Maybe worth mentioning to them. The loss of a few weeks warranty may not sound like much but I assure you, a car ismuch more likely to go wrong towards the end of the warranty period. What happens if yours has expired and you didn't raise the point at handover?

24hrs etc, fair enough, weeks, I wouldn't be happy

We are finally getting car on Thursday and yes my wife had to sign the finance forms. Car is registered the 31st May. We could have picked up on Wednesday but Wife is too busy at work. Just got it in time as our MITO is due it's first MOT on Friday. Sure it would pass fine just not keen the 50 pounds test fee. Thanks for all the replies, I will put some picks on when we pick it up.

Picked the machine up today. All seems good. Got the sat nav off eBay which works really well. Thanks for all the advice. Will post some pictures later. Really glad went for the sports alloys they make the car look nice.

Back