Panda (Classic) Onyx Firefly

Currently reading:
Panda (Classic) Onyx Firefly

Liquid Knight

Distinguished member
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162058702887?clk_rvr_id=1027318959012&rmvSB=true

Panda based kit car from the 90's. Unfinished and thanks to new guidelines probably only good for parts. It's shame it's too far away and will be more trouble to get on the road than it's worth. I really like these.

seems to be a pile of other FIAT kit lying near it.., ;)
HUGE battery / tray, :D

looks as it there is no space for an aircleaner..??:confused:

also TIGHT in the bay.. so now power upgrade options.. although if it goes CHEAP you could do anything.. :)idea: "Boxer.."):D

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
ahahahahahahahahahahah :D :D :D

Is it possibile to drive that car in UK ???
Really your rules allow that thing to be on the road ?!?! :)

ahahahahahahahahahahah :D :D :D

Is it possibile to drive that car in UK ???
Really your rules allow that thing to be on the road ?!?! :)

When it was new the rules were much more relaxed than they are now, back then you could have put the number plates of the donor Panda on it and driven like that.

Now, however it would need a IVA test, which whilst not impossible to make it pass, it would not be easy as it would need to comply with all of the current emissions, lighting and safety regulations for kit cars.

Now, however it would need a IVA test, which whilst not impossible to make it pass, it would not be easy as it would need to comply with all of the current emissions, lighting and safety regulations for kit cars.

Emissions go on engine age - pre August 1995 engines have much more relaxed limits. You need to be able to prove the engine age though.

Lighting - the depth of the headlights might be an issue, I can't remember the exact angles required. That's the only difficult issue I can see.

Safety regs...what safety regs do you mean? I can see you'd need to be careful with radii all over the car (which is a fairly common IVA fail).

It would be worth any buyer checking if the donor Panda V5 is with the car - if you want an age related plate, you'll need it for the DVLA; otherwise it's a Q plate, which would bother some but not others. You would also need a receipt stating the kit is new, i.e. it was supplied new by the manufacturer and hasn't been used on the road, otherwise it'll be a Q plate.

Emissions go on engine age - pre August 1995 engines have much more relaxed limits. You need to be able to prove the engine age though.

Lighting - the depth of the headlights might be an issue, I can't remember the exact angles required. That's the only difficult issue I can see.

Safety regs...what safety regs do you mean? I can see you'd need to be careful with radii all over the car (which is a fairly common IVA fail).

It would be worth any buyer checking if the donor Panda V5 is with the car - if you want an age related plate, you'll need it for the DVLA; otherwise it's a Q plate, which would bother some but not others. You would also need a receipt stating the kit is new, i.e. it was supplied new by the manufacturer and hasn't been used on the road, otherwise it'll be a Q plate.

I have no first hand experience of an IVA test, you probably know more than me, my last post was more of a generalisation for kestrel4x4 as he will not be familiar with UK procedures.

I guess things like seat belts, seat mountings and the mentioned radii all come under safety, I also believe lights need to be at certain heights and distances apart from each other, not sure if any of this would be a problem here though?

I read somewhere that something like 70% of all kit cars would fail the current IVA reg's. That's why so many new builds get the identity of a scrapped Dutton or worse.

It's ringing to avoid the cost of the IVA usually but there have been a few on the road structural failures that have lead to criminal proceedings.

The one I recall on the A11 was a Locust (made from the Haynes manual), bought as an unfinished project, slapped together and to avoid the IVA was rolling with the VIN and number plates from a Triumph Spitfire. The front suspension mounts were only tacked on and failed at sixty miles per hour.

As I suggested it's a useful pile of parts or a nightmare if you want to get it on the road.

Maybe a SuperFIRE turbo conversion for a trackday car but that would depend on any scrutineers at the venue.

On that note. I'm clearing out all my Panda wheels and bits. My Fantasia will be restored not modified, my Bravo will be back on daily duties as soon as the MOT is sorted and I'll have my 16V Turbo Coupe to play with soon. I'm having a break from modified Pandas and being all grown up with the Coupe.

So if anyone here wins the Onyx I have a set of five Uno Turbo, set of five X-1/9 alloys and a set of five Fiorino steel wheels appearing in the classifieds soon.

Back