New Feature Onboarding Tasks

Currently reading:
New Feature Onboarding Tasks

welcomeonboard.jpg

I've added a new onboarding feature to the forum now which give new users a basic list of tasks to complete.

This not only serves to help out the mod team (less questions to answer) but also allows me to show off various features of the site that new people might not find unless told :) On the flip side, it also allows me to alert older members to new features that are subsequently added :D

If you're an existing member, there's a good chance nothing will change for you, as if all tasks are completed then it will disappear - but if you want to know, it looks like this:

1716304880163.png

As you can see, the current tasks are:
  1. Create a thread in the Newbie Lounge
  2. Upload a vehicle to the forum garage
  3. Give someone an award
  4. Write a review of your local garage
  5. Write a repair guide (optional)
  6. Buy a forum car sticker (optional)
Optional tasks can be cleared by clicking the X icon next to them, whereas non-optional tasks will stay up there until complete :)

For a full list, they can all be found here.

Dear Ben, good idee i think, but a review of a localgarage is for someone like me who does all the work itself not possible, Just a thought (y)
Good point, I've changed it to "recommend a local garage" but that does also include dealerships too. Perhaps in the future when we've filled it up a bit, I can set it to optional.

Also added a few more things, which I think covers most of the site features now 😊

Good point, I've changed it to "recommend a local garage" but that does also include dealerships too. Perhaps in the future when we've filled it up a bit, I can set it to optional.

Also added a few more things, which I think covers most of the site features now 😊
Again i do my own except cambelt and traveled 120miles couldnt concider recomending local fiat pro when they were still part of the system.

I've been on here since the late C14th. I see I now have some compulsory tasks, what happens if I don't say hello to the people I already know, does that and the other tasks just sit there?

I've been on here since the late C14th. I see I now have some compulsory tasks, what happens if I don't say hello to the people I already know, does that and the other tasks just sit there?
You've hit the issue that I was worried about with this system - there doesn't seem to be a way to set limits on tasks.

Ideally I wanted to do something like "User was created within last month AND didn't make an introduction thread" - but as stock this isn't available.

It's in my notebook to fix ;)

Ok all done - for the welcome thread task, if you have been a member for longer than 30 days then it's now marked as done, regardless whether you created a thread or not :) (this only applies to existing members, anyone joining after this point won't be included)

I can use this setting for any other tasks I add in the future as well, so we won't be stuck with things people can't complete :)

I don't suppose, you could get new posters to add the make, model, year, and mileage to their post.
Nearly all their questions will require that anybody that tries to help to ask these.

They pretty much won't read the rest of the forum, as they're only interested in fixing their personal issues with their vehicles, and I understand that, but its very tedious to keep asking the same questions over and over again.

Just a thought....

I don't suppose, you could get new posters to add the make, model, year, and mileage to their post.
Nearly all their questions will require that anybody that tries to help to ask these.

They pretty much won't read the rest of the forum, as they're only interested in fixing their personal issues with their vehicles, and I understand that, but its very tedious to keep asking the same questions over and over again.

Just a thought....
Screenshot_20240526_154240_Edge.jpg

This shows up for everyone with less than 5 posts.

I can modify the text if it's not clear enough?

How about "When you realise that you've posted in the wrong section because nobody answers here's the action to take..." 🤭

Perhaps I ought to leave, as I cannot recall having completed any of my "tasks".
After some frustration, I joined this forum in order to help others to benefit from my experience on a specific project. My first post was to give advice on that project.
I have since continued with trying to help others, and I have noticed that there are those who rarely create a thread, but give their time and experience to help others.
My main use of a local garage is for the MoT tests on our three vehicles, and if I was to make a reccommendation, then that may lead to revealing my location which I do not wish to make public.
I never did add my vehicle to the "Garage", as I could not find how to, also I would be reluctant to post a picture.
I might consider a forum sticker, but I have never sought out the way to buy one.

Perhaps I ought to leave, as I cannot recall having completed any of my "tasks".
After some frustration, I joined this forum in order to help others to benefit from my experience on a specific project. My first post was to give advice on that project.
I have since continued with trying to help others, and I have noticed that there are those who rarely create a thread, but give their time and experience to help others.
My main use of a local garage is for the MoT tests on our three vehicles, and if I was to make a reccommendation, then that may lead to revealing my location which I do not wish to make public.
I never did add my vehicle to the "Garage", as I could not find how to, also I would be reluctant to post a picture.
I might consider a forum sticker, but I have never sought out the way to buy one.
Apart from the recommending a garage, all the rest (non optional) are just basic forum tasks and things to help the community. And the optional ones you can just click the little x and they are gone.

I have also hyperlinked them all to instructions - for example, click the "Show off your pride and joy" text and it will send you to instructions on the garage, same with stickers.

The reason the garage one (for now) isn't optional is it would be nice to try and build up a decent guide, then once it gets some traction, it can be changed to an optional task.

Also worth noting, not doing the tasks doesn't affect your account in any way - if you don't do them, it's purely cosmetic :)

Mine will be stuck at 80% until I can get a car in the UK and have somewhere service it ;)

1716724081072.png

Maybe I'll treat myself to some window stickers too, hehe.

Back