OMG! Not good

Currently reading:
OMG! Not good

Our best estimate at the moment is that the car is driving at something like 50 miles per hour. And on a road like this, that isn't excessive speed.

Why do they have to make everything about speed limits? In icy conditions 30mph might have been excessive. As quite a keen cyclist myself I know how little car drivers pay attention to cyclists. My thoughts go out to the families involved. Maybe this will shock some drivers into taking it easy when the conditions are poor.

Personally i was shocked aswell!! Saw it on the news earlier. Just reminds me that u never know the time or the place....

Ross

I also find a lot of people are lulled into a false sense of security and go around corners expecting there to be nothing around that corner. I did myself until I stopped 6 inches from the rear wheel of a cyclist because I was whizzing around a corner too fast with oncoming traffic :( Until you have a lesson like that I don't think you appreciate just what COULD be around that blind bend. Unfortunately by that point it's usually too late, as happened here.

yeah my thoughts exactly... I know this is an awful thing to happen, but it will probably have quite an effect.

I'm no saint, and I'm not the most experienced driver ever, but I know to slow down when the roads are wet or it is cold... The driver may not have been speeding but was obviously not paying enough attention to the driving conditions.

You cant see the car very well in the pic but its a toyota avensis, and it doesnt exactly looked "well maintained". Personally, i always try and make sure anything that can affect safety on my car is sorted out ASAP as ur life (or other peoples) just isnt worth the risk.

Ross

h2ypr said:
...it doesnt exactly looked "well maintained".
If you click on the "enlarge this picture" link on the BBC site, you can see it clearly. I can't see anything to suggest to me that the car isn't well maintained.
A corner might be easily achievable at 50 mph normally, but in weather like this it can easily be very slippy...
H

Welll that wasnt the same pic i saw on tv anyways.... so :yuck:

Ross

h2ypr said:
You cant see the car very well in the pic but its a toyota avensis

Bing! Wrong answer!

It is actually a toyota corolla so :yuck: as worked out by me and mentioned in the article.

Avensis have a different rear light cluster, are longer and have a different boot

AppleSei said:
Bing! Wrong answer!

It is actually a toyota corolla so :yuck: as worked out by me and mentioned in the article.

Avensis have a different rear light cluster, are longer and have a different boot

I'll get me coat..... :cry:

Ross

Back