Oil level warning query.

Currently reading:
Oil level warning query.

Well I sort of wonder and get puzzled by "calls of nature" when motoring. They happen and in most cases we make it to safe refuge. But there will be times where roadside relief is inevitable? Right or wrong also a time when "officials" will want to gong you.

So in the recent 24/48+ hour Dover delays I did not see the authorities laying on portable loo facilities for those poor stranded drivers. So I have to assume that they used roadside facilities which were we to do on a "normal" day we would get gonged for?

Whilst possibly exceptional circumstances they are not as exceptional as one might think and certainly a fact. So this then begs the question as to why these sorts of essential facilities are not part of the "emergency planning" procedures for these expected long port delay/disruption etc. events that they with infinite wisdom plan stacking / detours to lorry parks / etc ????

Actually that's not as daft as it sounds. We always took a "potty" on long journeys when they were very young and now, after many years, we're doing it again with the grandchildren. The amazing thing is that no matter how much junk is in the back, Mrs J can always put her hand on it within seconds!
My Uncle and Auty have a Scudo van conversion dormobile and have the potty in the back. They are in their 80's and find it a great boon, particularly in the recent pandemic. The really isnt enough room for a porta bog in the back of a Panda though.

With reference to the last 2 posts, as you get older "comfort facilities" become ever more important when planning a journey. As long as I watch my fluid intake, I find I'm comfortable for about 2 hours but beginning to suffer distress before the 3 hour mark and it's getting worse as I age. Organised holidays aren't usually a problem because you have toilets in airports and on planes/trains and once at your destination there are the hotels themselves and cafes and restaurants etc. Waiting in that queue for the ferry would have been a major problem for me though. On longer journeys I've considered the "Taxi driver's friend" - lemonade bottle - but when you consider the practicality of it I've never had the "bottle" to try! - could be quite embarrassing in a motorway queue? The camper van option sounds wonderful as long as the driver warns when setting off!

I find it surprising that public toilets seem to be padlocked closed in so many places now, and the ones that are still open have been "upgraded" to pay loos so you're in trouble if you don't have the required change. There's always supermarkets but some of them are now requiring you to request the key - which I've not found a problem as I've never been refused, so I assume it's to stop use by homeless people and "undesirables". Public libraries are another good bet but, up here, again you very often have to request the key.

Clearly accessible road side facilities are a must. The continent (EU/Europe) have them in addition to the big commercial refuges/shops/fuel & food.

We have seen over the years town public facilities closed, or if not closed then in such as state that even the deposits want to run away.

Back