Oil level warning query.

Currently reading:
Oil level warning query.

johncard007

Hi fellow Fiatista's

I have a 2018 Panda twin air Cross. Every once in a while I have a warning message come up on my dash display warning me to check the oil level, this first happened when the car was only a couple of months old on a 400 mile journey up the motorway to the Scottish highlands and to be honest it scared me! It has happened a few times over the years but each time I have checked the oil level and it has been ok (never low). I don't have a problem resetting it, I just wonder why it comes on - is it just a friendly reminder? or is there a legitimate for it coming on? I cannot seem to find anything anywhere in the owners manual.
I might add, this isn't the service countdown message, that gave up a long time ago as I do my own servicing now.

Thanks in advance. :)

John

Go in your menu and do a reset oil level. It seems these clever and useful messages are programmed to make you smile. There are tech posts on here that explain why they happen. Check our oil on level ground then reset in the dash computer and it should go away for a ong time. Worked on Noop.

Yeah I've done that and it does stay off for a long time, I was just wondering why it does it. I've been unable to find any answers on the forum.

I finally got the answer by trawling the forum, it's actually programmed to remind you every 5000 miles although I can't imagine anyone not checking their oil levels regularly.

A large amount of people never check the fluid apart from when they get a warning message.
With an 875cc engine and a thimble full of oil not checking by the majority is a good reason never to buy one second hand! Had some neighbours who did similar with their lawn mower with predictable results.

Many people don't even get a service and just say I have a mot everyyear
Even the 20 year old wreck thats our Seat gets its basics and a thorough check annually. The others get weekly checks and service as required. After many years of cost cutting when younger I found its cheaper to keep a watchful eye on machinery and to ensure its always given proper parts and quality oils etc. I can state with certinty that on every occasion I have strayed from this approach its cost a lot more. Since my duaghter took the Seat away to Manchester its slowly gone downhill and will soon be broken up for spares. Properly nursed it woiuld have done another 10 years. All the little things that she has ignored and not given me time to fix have now caught up with her and its very near the end. Hopefully soon she will buy soemthing else or even better get a lease car from her work. No wonder GEM the AA and all the other breakdown providers do such a brisk trade. I am getting old and a scardycat and have cover myself now but have not ground to a halt since a broken drive shaft stopped me in 1976. Touch wood. Even my strimmer which is now 51 years old still goes first pull. That must be on borrowed time.

I know, it's crazy right? My daughter is the same, she'd rather spend money on other things and complain when her clutch finally gives up the ghost or her tyres completely perish even though I've told her repeatedly to get them changed.

Well yesterday saw the Panda used in anger with a run to the west country and back with a number of miles at full chat. If only it went nearly as fast as it says it does... It did give a lot of people cause to jump and get out of the way though. Watching some pretty flash german cars disappear in the rear view mirror as we did a few rapid over takes was most amusing. This morning it still starts and runs OK but there is no oil on the dip stick. This seems to be another case of AVOID Petronas oil as I am pretty sure its still full after adding some proper oil and running it for a few minutes its now just slightly over full. Petronas oil has no clingability factor at all and the dip stick kept coming out dry. The entire engine, like our 1.2s must be dry on start up if its as bad on the bearings as the dip stick. Both the 1.2s are now on Castrol edge and have no noises on start up, no tappets clattering at all, even after standing 2 weeks. On Petronas Syntium 5/40 they rattled like hell until oil was circulated. I think the Twinair will have its Petronas oil thrown out too its now done about 850 milessince service. Thats enough! I shall return again in a few minutes and see if I can get a measure of where the oil level actually is now its had time to run back again. Noop has justification to have used oil after the last 50 miles. The MPG read just shy of 46 after 380 miles of pretty hard driving so its in my good books today.

Last edited:
Well yesterday saw the Panda used in anger with a run to the west country and back with a number of miles at full chat. If only it went nearly as fast as it says it does... It did give a lot of people cause to jump and get out of the way though. Watching some pretty flash german cars disappear in the rear view mirror as we did a few rapid over takes was most amusing. This morning it still starts and runs OK but there is no oil on the dip stick. This seems to be another case of AVOID Petronas oil as I am pretty sure its still full after adding some proper oil and running it for a few minutes its now just slightly over full. Petronas oil has no clingability factor at all and the dip stick kept coming out dry. The entire engine, like our 1.2s must be dry on start up if its as bad on the bearings as the dip stick. Both the 1.2s are now on Castrol edge and have no noises on start up, no tappets clattering at all, even after standing 2 weeks. On Petronas Syntium 5/40 they rattled like hell until oil was circulated. I think the Twinair will have its Petronas oil thrown out too its now done about 850 milessince service. Thats enough! I shall return again in a few minutes and see if I can get a measure of where the oil level actually is now its had time to run back again. Noop has justification to have used oil after the last 50 miles. The MPG read just shy of 46 after 380 miles of pretty hard driving so its in my good books today.
Well Im not sure if I have seen the oil level or not. I am going to fabricate a dipstick that can be read properly and keep it in the garage the TA thing might nearly as well not be there at all for all the use it is. It would seem that 8 miles at full speed had no effect on the oil level which remains full. Why I wonder do I carry a litre of oil in the boot. I supposem it goes with the sill jack chuck, the multi ecuscan, the tyre inflator, impact wrench, extending socket bar, jack two sets of bulbs, two Hvis vests, rain mack 3 pairs of gloves, LED warning triangle, flashing cats eye, two dust sheets, hand wipes, 3 torches,code reader for VAG cars, emergency window hammer and seatbelt cutter, fire extinguisher, 10 Pandas 2 sets of fitted floormats seat covers, drivers lumber seat cushion, knife fork and spoon swiss army gadget, 4 USB wires,squeegee, snow brush, ice scraper, valvecap spanner.... I find myself LOL ing at the stupidity of all this crap, and at the large felt carpet boot box in the form of a Panda if you hadnt guessed it and the three spare Panda air fresheners. Oh and the amber magnetic beacon and extension wire , tow rope, tyre pressure guage. What do the other sensible old codgers carry. The thought occurs that without this crap, the car would do another 1-2 mpg and probably a genuine 110mph on a long down slope.

Well Im not sure if I have seen the oil level or not. I am going to fabricate a dipstick that can be read properly and keep it in the garage the TA thing might nearly as well not be there at all for all the use it is. It would seem that 8 miles at full speed had no effect on the oil level which remains full. Why I wonder do I carry a litre of oil in the boot. I supposem it goes with the sill jack chuck, the multi ecuscan, the tyre inflator, impact wrench, extending socket bar, jack two sets of bulbs, two Hvis vests, rain mack 3 pairs of gloves, LED warning triangle, flashing cats eye, two dust sheets, hand wipes, 3 torches,code reader for VAG cars, emergency window hammer and seatbelt cutter, fire extinguisher, 10 Pandas 2 sets of fitted floormats seat covers, drivers lumber seat cushion, knife fork and spoon swiss army gadget, 4 USB wires,squeegee, snow brush, ice scraper, valvecap spanner.... I find myself LOL ing at the stupidity of all this crap, and at the large felt carpet boot box in the form of a Panda if you hadnt guessed it and the three spare Panda air fresheners. Oh and the amber magnetic beacon and extension wire , tow rope, tyre pressure guage. What do the other sensible old codgers carry. The thought occurs that without this crap, the car would do another 1-2 mpg and probably a genuine 110mph on a long down slope.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for that post! My Mrs has long chastised me for the "stuff" that rides around in the boot with us but I can't even begin to compete with you. Here's a picture of my "goodies" box with tyre inflator to the right and emergency triangle and sunscreen tucked in behind it:

P1100461.JPG

If I unpack the box a bit:

P1100462.JPG

There's top up for coolant and screenwash - (yes I know about the "thing" of using pop bottles for storing this sort of thing) Fuel additive, WD40, spare engine oil, Hand wash etc. In front of the box is a container of electric wire and fittings and to it's right is a container with old tin cans for temporary exhaust repair (there's a gun gum bandage somewhere too). the Cuppaccino tin has spare bulbs in it then there's my fire extinguisher and hi viz waistcoat. Oh, mustn't forget my flying lead light which has a 21watt bulb in it and enough lead to reach anywhere on the car:

P1100464.JPG

Lift the wee hatch just inside the rear door and you see this:

P1100463.JPG

Cheap multimeter on the left. container for wheel security nut. Powerbar for wheel nuts. LED torch. the disc like orange thing is a flashing, unbelievably bright, LED beacon with magnetic base which I would put on the roof of the car if I broke down on the motorway etc. In the right hand cubby hole is spare batteries for the torch and beacon and a selection of small hand tools like a mole grip, multi bit screwdriver, my old rose pruning knife, and other tools. Also Tucked up inside the full size spare wheel (which I had to source separately) is a set of jump leads, a tow rope, wheel chocks and the usual jacking paraphernalia.

When we go on long hauls, like our trips to the "deep south", the black plastic former comes out and the space is filled with all manner of tools which I think could be useful. Now a days I almost never need them to sort the car but they do come in very useful for sorting out my sister in law's ride on mower, daughters Skoda City Go - which sometimes doesn't! and other stuff like changing a socket in the house or rehanging a garden gate.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that post! My Mrs has long chastised me for the "stuff" that rides around in the boot with us but I can't even begin to compete with you. Here's a picture of my "goodies" box with tyre inflator to the right and emergency triangle and sunscreen tucked in behind it:

View attachment 410362

If I unpack the box a bit:

View attachment 410363

There's top up for coolant and screenwash - (yes I know about the "thing" of using pop bottles for storing this sort of thing) Fuel additive, WD40, spare engine oil, Hand wash etc. In front of the box is a container of electric wire and fittings and to it's right is a container with old tin cans for temporary exhaust repair (there's a gun gum bandage somewhere too). the Cuppaccino tin has spare bulbs in it then there's my fire extinguisher and hi viz waistcoat. Oh, mustn't forget my flying lead light which has a 21watt bulb in it and enough lead to reach anywhere on the car:

View attachment 410366

Lift the wee hatch just inside the rear door and you see this:

View attachment 410367

Cheap multimeter on the left. container for wheel security nut. Powerbar for wheel nuts. LED torch. the disc like orange thing is a flashing, unbelievably bright, LED beacon with magnetic base which I would put on the roof of the car if I broke down on the motorway etc. In the right hand cubby hole is spare batteries for the torch and beacon and a selection of small hand tools like a mole grip, multi bit screwdriver, my old rose pruning knife, and other tools. Also Tucked up inside the full size spare wheel (which I had to source separately) is a set of jump leads, a tow rope, wheel chocks and the usual jacking paraphernalia.

When we go on long hauls, like our trips to the "deep south", the black plastic former comes out and the space is filled with all manner of tools which I think could be useful. Now a days I almost never need them to sort the car but they do come in very useful for sorting out my sister in law's ride on mower, daughters Skoda City Go - which sometimes doesn't! and other stuff like changing a socket in the house or rehanging a garden gate.
Somehow I knew you would confess and there are a few more customers on here that also need the confessional I'm sure. I only stopped carrying around tools sufficient atleast to change drive shafts, diff, or gearbox by the roadside a handful of years ago, and that only because nothing else would then go in the boot. When I actually though about what the recovery service I pay for actually provides and the liklihood of actually doing any of the said works at the roadside these days, a car in warranty, full service history etc., I finally saw sense. But as you point out women are just fundamentally unreasonable about these things. I want a good roof rack, but these seem to start at about £450 and she says she cant lift the shopping that high to get the bags onto the roofrack anyway.... I ask you! On the up side I no longer carry the detachable towball around all the time. I think I deserve a medal.

Somehow I knew you would confess and there are a few more customers on here that also need the confessional I'm sure. I only stopped carrying around tools sufficient atleast to change drive shafts, diff, or gearbox by the roadside a handful of years ago, and that only because nothing else would then go in the boot. When I actually though about what the recovery service I pay for actually provides and the liklihood of actually doing any of the said works at the roadside these days, a car in warranty, full service history etc., I finally saw sense. But as you point out women are just fundamentally unreasonable about these things. I want a good roof rack, but these seem to start at about £450 and she says she cant lift the shopping that high to get the bags onto the roofrack anyway.... I ask you! On the up side I no longer carry the detachable towball around all the time. I think I deserve a medal.
I too used to carry around "serious" car repairing tools and would have not thought twice about doing a clutch or similar on my old Anglia, Cortina, etc. when away from home on holiday or the likes. However back in those days the range of tools needed to think about addressing these sorts of job was much less numerous and there wasn't a whole load of electronic gizmos to possibly have to dismantle - and maybe break - to get at stuff. Now a days, as you can see, I carry stuff like top up fluids in sufficient quantity that after I've patched the leaking hose - I have self amalgamating tape - I've got some hope of topping up enough to either get me home or to somewhere that a permanent repair can be made. I haven't rethought what I'm carrying for about 20 years though and I doubt if bits of electric wire and tin cans to strap round exhaust pipes is so likely to be helpful now? Reappraisal required!

Back in the day when I was doing the breakdown recoveries (got extra money for agreeing to be on call at weekends) Britannia Rescue seemed to be very well thought of by many so I went with them and their get you home or to destination cover probably some 30 years ago - never had to use them (oops, shouldn't have said that!) I think they're now part of LV so who knows if they are still so well thought of? I mention this because my thinking was that if I could just get the car home I could then get the use of my tools and effect a repair cheaply. However these types of service operate, mostly, on a relay basis where you and your car are taken from one area to another and handed on to the recovery in that area. This can result in long waits at relay hand overs as one area drops you, perhaps in a motorway service area, where you may wait for some time to be collected by the next area's agent who then takes you on to the next relay change point and so on. With modern cars not now being so "home mechanic" friendly I'm beginning to wonder if I wouldn't be better to just take basic cover and pay a local garage, wherever my breakdown happens, to effect the repair?

Oh, I meant to say, Women and what they want to take on holiday. When our kids (3 off) were young the car was stuffed literally to the roof and packed around the children - which was quite good as it stopped them fighting to some extent. The Ambassador with it's enormous rear bench seat was great for separation in this way - As the years rolled by the payload changed in content but not in volume and now, with just the two of us, we seem to always be still loaded to the gunwales. I think it operates on the principle that applies in kitchens which is that no matter how much cupboard space is available she'll always fill it! I'm now expecting to get a, probably very well deserved clip round the earholes, for those comments. Trouble is I don't have a leg to stand on with all the stuff I want to take! Arguably her stuff is of considerably more use too!

If I told you what I carry in the boot of my car tool wise I'd have to kill you as you would be round to supplement your tool emporium.

I think that for us individuals who "can and do" then these modern cars present us with real issues. Gone are the days of a simple socket and spanner set. Now we need allen keys, torx, splines, ribe, deep, ball allen, .......

Then Maxi, Standard, Mini Fuses! .....

The list goes on and on.

I carry most including EOBD kit, plus all fluids etc, hose clips, wire, ...... but I'm always concerned that:

1) I've missed something and will be very upset (polite word)

2) F-It. Just call your breakdown company and replace all that kit with a 12V kettle, teabags/coffee, dry milk and a portable loo :)

I too used to carry around "serious" car repairing tools and would have not thought twice about doing a clutch or similar on my old Anglia, Cortina, etc. when away from home on holiday or the likes. However back in those days the range of tools needed to think about addressing these sorts of job was much less numerous and there wasn't a whole load of electronic gizmos to possibly have to dismantle - and maybe break - to get at stuff. Now a days, as you can see, I carry stuff like top up fluids in sufficient quantity that after I've patched the leaking hose - I have self amalgamating tape - I've got some hope of topping up enough to either get me home or to somewhere that a permanent repair can be made. I haven't rethought what I'm carrying for about 20 years though and I doubt if bits of electric wire and tin cans to strap round exhaust pipes is so likely to be helpful now? Reappraisal required!

Back in the day when I was doing the breakdown recoveries (got extra money for agreeing to be on call at weekends) Britannia Rescue seemed to be very well thought of by many so I went with them and their get you home or to destination cover probably some 30 years ago - never had to use them (oops, shouldn't have said that!) I think they're now part of LV so who knows if they are still so well thought of? I mention this because my thinking was that if I could just get the car home I could then get the use of my tools and effect a repair cheaply. However these types of service operate, mostly, on a relay basis where you and your car are taken from one area to another and handed on to the recovery in that area. This can result in long waits at relay hand overs as one area drops you, perhaps in a motorway service area, where you may wait for some time to be collected by the next area's agent who then takes you on to the next relay change point and so on. With modern cars not now being so "home mechanic" friendly I'm beginning to wonder if I wouldn't be better to just take basic cover and pay a local garage, wherever my breakdown happens, to effect the repair?
I have a family policy with GEM and its reasonably priced at about £52 a car I think they said they would just take the car on to detination or directly home. With a 4x4 I am fearful of it ever needing towing as it will only be 4 wheels off the road and the idea of running that battle with several operators across the country stikes the fear of god into me!. Old habits die hard though or is that Die Hard two or Die hard another day etc. I am going to have a sort out! GEM used to be the CVM or Company of Veteran Motorists and is till very like a big club and seems well run. I think you are right though because I would almost certainly just decant the car to the nerest Fiat dealer for at least the nest 2 years since Desira Norwich dumped Fiat for Suzuki. I really need to find a really good Fiat specialist within 50 miles or so before Noops warranty ends.

If I told you what I carry in the boot of my car tool wise I'd have to kill you as you would be round to supplement your tool emporium.

I think that for us individuals who "can and do" then these modern cars present us with real issues. Gone are the days of a simple socket and spanner set. Now we need allen keys, torx, splines, ribe, deep, ball allen, .......

Then Maxi, Standard, Mini Fuses! .....

The list goes on and on.

I carry most including EOBD kit, plus all fluids etc, hose clips, wire, ...... but I'm always concerned that:

1) I've missed something and will be very upset (polite word)

2) F-It. Just call your breakdown company and replace all that kit with a 12V kettle, teabags/coffee, dry milk and a portable loo :)
I didnt metion the loo did I?

Well my wife would say you boys have the "picnic kit" and are not ashamed to use it. Females are a little more "delicate/sensitive?" in certain departments which is their right etc. so "packing all contingencies" is a good plan even if never needed :)

Actually that's not as daft as it sounds. We always took a "potty" on long journeys when they were very young and now, after many years, we're doing it again with the grandchildren. The amazing thing is that no matter how much junk is in the back, Mrs J can always put her hand on it within seconds!

Back