Technical Oil leak

Currently reading:
Technical Oil leak

drewbles

have just purchased a fiat doblo to replace our Scudo. Travelled from Wales to Devon...oil was empty when we got to Devon...refilled and it was still in the next morning...started her up, and she dumped a load into the road, and is drip drip dripping as we go...can't see anything obvious...any ideas??

Hi,
Vehicle year, engine size, fuel??
Could be many things.
Get it up on ramps have a proper look to find out where oil coming out.

If it has canister type oil filter; the base seal can leak if tightened excessively or not enough Or if seal incorrectly fitted to filter.

Let us know what you find

Hi,
Vehicle year, engine size, fuel??
Could be many things.
Get it up on ramps have a proper look to find out where oil coming out.

If it has canister type oil filter; the base seal can leak if tightened excessively or not enough Or if seal incorrectly fitted to filter.

Let us know what you find
hey, thanks for the speedy replies..
2008 model, 1.9 multi jet diesel it is. getting it up tomorrow, have to drain it completely as the missus went into panic mode and poured an extra 4 litres of oil in it...I'm hoping she hasn't flooded everything! Don't ask me why, I have no idea what goes through her head!!! Gonna have a good look at the system, will let you know what I find.

so I drained the oil....a whole 10 litres came out! Apparently a friend of hers checked the oil, couldn't see any in..it was new oil, nice and clear..he was looking for black oil! Tit! So he poured in 2 litres (on top of the 4 already in), and the missus did the same thing...was looking for black oil and only saw a tiny bit on dipstick, so she added 4!!! Now I have drained it, I'm going to clean engine as there is oil everywhere....question...ABS failure and EBD failure...is what pops up when engine is tried....are these likely to be oil filled sensors? hoping when I wash through that everything will be cleared...otherwise, is it possible oil has leaked into the brake system?

had a mechanic come out today, reckons the engine is seized and is gonna cost £4000 for replacement and turbo and labour...looks like the scrappy is gonna get this one...shortest vehicle ownership ever...4 whole weeks!

If you drove it home.. how is it seized..?

Worst case.. remove all 4 glow plugs (should be pumping air then..)
And try and spin the motor over
we got RAC recovery to get to where we are. it won't start, tried to start it and it coughs a tiny bit and gives up almost instantly.tried it a second time and even less of a cough and no starting

Thats not seized..

Please recap the last 4 weeks :)
week 1..bought vehicle and drove for 1 day.
week 2..it froze...minus 8...didn't go anywhere...
week 3... jumped in vehicle, went to my work and back 3 times(Mon, wed, Thurs) noticed oil leak on Thurs.. I figured a seal had probably gone after the deep cold, no worries, have a look before we go holidays...didn't get time
week 4...drive from Pembrokeshire to Swansea, noticed small pool of oil when we left..tiny. Drove to other side of Plymouth near coast..."mechanic" hears about leak, says, 'I'll check ya levels".. comes back saying no oil whatsoever...I don't generally second guess mechanics..said ****, put some oil in then...3 litres go in....drove off...half hour later missus stalls...says she will check oil, jumps out, smashes 4.5 litres in. I was half asleep in back with baby, didn't see anything she was doing, just figured she would check dipstick first....she hadn't! Vehicle sets off super smoky and juddering. she pulls over, I look in oil, see massive over fill. RAC recovery to St Agnes. I drain oil, refilled back to just under max. tried to turn over engine, it fires up super smoky...turned it off, tried to get exhaust off, but no avail, ABS and EBD failure cime up when engine tried to restart..cleaned what sensors i could get to( I'm roadside, basic tools, small ramp height....called mechanics, one came out tried to turn it over...says he can hear flywheel trying but engine is seized and needs a new one, nonpiint cleaning it out, also new turbo will be needed and no idea what else...says will cost around 4000 quid....and that's a low estimate. In a nutshell, that's it...

week 1..bought vehicle and drove for 1 day.
week 2..it froze...minus 8...didn't go anywhere...
week 3... jumped in vehicle, went to my work and back 3 times(Mon, wed, Thurs) noticed oil leak on Thurs.. I figured a seal had probably gone after the deep cold, no worries, have a look before we go holidays...didn't get time
week 4...drive from Pembrokeshire to Swansea, noticed small pool of oil when we left..tiny. Drove to other side of Plymouth near coast..."mechanic" hears about leak, says, 'I'll check ya levels".. comes back saying no oil whatsoever...I don't generally second guess mechanics..said ****, put some oil in then...3 litres go in....drove off...half hour later missus stalls...says she will check oil, jumps out, smashes 4.5 litres in. I was half asleep in back with baby, didn't see anything she was doing, just figured she would check dipstick first....she hadn't! Vehicle sets off super smoky and juddering. she pulls over, I look in oil, see massive over fill. RAC recovery to St Agnes. I drain oil, refilled back to just under max. tried to turn over engine, it fires up super smoky...turned it off, tried to get exhaust off, but no avail, ABS and EBD failure cime up when engine tried to restart..cleaned what sensors i could get to( I'm roadside, basic tools, small ramp height....called mechanics, one came out tried to turn it over...says he can hear flywheel trying but engine is seized and needs a new one, nonpiint cleaning it out, also new turbo will be needed and no idea what else...says will cost around 4000 quid....and that's a low estimate. In a nutshell, that's it...
PS I AM NOT A MECHANIC, EVERYTHING I KNOW I HAVE LEARNT FROM MISSUS SCREWING UP HER PREVIOUS 3 VEHICLES...MY KNOWLEDGE IS ALMOST NONE, AND STORED ON YOUTUBE 😁

Hi,
I think you may not have had the best advice from people that you have seen face to face.

How long did the mechanic spend trying to start vehicle?

It is possible that the vehicle battery and starter motor are not up to turning over the engine quickly enough to start engine. Does the starter motor sound slower that it should?

The abs ebd warnings can be triggered by low battery voltage.

After a massive oil over fill if it restarts engine will be Smokey - it should clear after running for some time.

Thanks for the recap.. (y)

so you obviously managed hundreds of miles in your 'new purchase'..
so 'worn out.. sold a pup.. is unlikely

I had forgotten it was the 1.9.. thought it was 1248cc baby engine

Years ago.. I got caught out with a 1.9

The engine 'breathes' out excess pressures.. for emissions purposes this is then ducted back to the air intake and ingested

My old car had its Intercooler full of oil.. from oily vapour settling in it
You may well find some of your excess oil has followed a similar path

Anything being drawn back to the engine could smother the Sensor in the air intake..

That can really mess.up fuelling

My message.. dont give up yet :)

Feel free to ask more tomorrow

In the meantime
For some photographic assistance
Search MAF in the Multipla section (y)

Last edited:
If you can get the rac again they should be able to try and jump start engine.
Talk to them nicely tell them it had been over filled with oil but had started since then.
Then The rac person may not be so surprised by smoky exhaust and spend bit of time running engine trying to clear smoke .

If you can get it running there's a very good chance it will be ok and you can then fix oil leak.

If you can get the rac again they should be able to try and jump start engine.
Talk to them nicely tell them it had been over filled with oil but had started since then.
Then The rac person may not be so surprised by smoky exhaust and spend bit of time running engine trying to clear smoke .

If you can get it running there's a very good chance it will be ok and you can then fix oil leak.
mechanic spent about 10 mins trying to restart...he stuck a jump pack on it for the second attempt...so reckon its worth getting a garage to recover it and give it a clean out? as I am not sure my little knowledge can handle this amount of removing parts and cleaning out...also I only have a standard socket set and nowhere to raise her up up... Happy almost New Year guys! nd gals!

Back