Technical Oil leak?

Currently reading:
Technical Oil leak?

HornetUK

Established member
I have just wiped a lot of very dark black slime from all over this area underneath my car, is it meant to be like that or is something wrong? is it an oil leak from somewhere, nothing is underneath the car in the morning on the ground. It also covers the black plastic part behind it, but on the otherside this plastic is clean (drivers side).

You can still see some of it left, but it was all covered in the dark black slime, no silver could be seen. Everywhere else underneath was clean.

9thoct2005.jpg

Last edited:
T14086 cheers, the photo is the cleaned up version though, before pic it was covered, but still OK you reckon?

Seen this alot on stilos & puntos (and vauxhalls/fords etc)....put it this way ask the dealer to take engine/gearbox out & investigate ;)
Doblos suffer from gearbox leaks that do have to be removed & re-sealed but you can actually see the drips coming out on these.If it leaves no oil marks on the driveway & oil level isn't dropping drastically I personally wouldn't bother however if your worried just monitor it for a few weeks or leave a piece of paper under the car at night.Take another photo in a few weeks & post it up.

Cheers, I'll leave the paper underneath and see what I get.

Also doing around 600 miles between now & Sunday week so I'll post a new pic up then.

I know I can check engine oil level, but how would I know if gearbox oil OK? Can that just all leak out?

Last edited:
Nothing on the paper overnight, could it have been dirt, not oil? What is the part of my car in the 1st photo?

I had an oil leak on my Punto in 2000 when new, they fixed it but made another part leak instead! they told me both repairs took 3 days & involved removing the engine. Both warranty jobs, but they told me if I was paying it would have cost over £1k each time! So I need to get this one sorted if it is an oil leak or would it be covered in third year too?

Cheers

600 miles driven since the clean, not a spot of black slime has appeared. It was very dark black originally.

Paper spotless 5 nights running. Underneath all clean.

Dirt or freak oil splatter!

Could it have just been a build up of dirt, as it was a large are covered in black, yet around it was shiny silver parts! Been checked every night now and still the same as pics above and no drips onto paper.

I now have a bolt up higher than the picture, but on the same part (top photo upper left) that is covered in a clear liquid after a drive, doesn't drip down on floor, but if wiped away it comes back after next drive. Only noticed today after 24k service when checking underneath! Any ideas? Take it nothing serious as theyd have spotted it on service???!!

The bolt didn't leak overnight, but after an hour drive today checked underneath and there was a drop of clear oily liquid on the bolt again. Does the bolt need sealing / tightening?

Looking at the first photo posted the bolt you can just see on the right side, covered in black, the oily bolt is a couple of inches further up. The liquid is slimy, but yellow, almost clear in colour.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back