General oil Leak?

Currently reading:
General oil Leak?

BigRick

Hi Guys, Yesterday I decided to change the plugs on the 02 1.2 Stilo, as it was well overdue, anyway, I removed the first coil, I was greeted with the sight of it coated in oil!! with oil coating the walls of the coil housing down to the plug, I quickly replced it and checked the second coil, same thing!, so I'm asking where do you think the oil is coming from, is this likely to be a blown gasket, and if so is it a big repair job, amazingly the car still runs fine, and I had no prior indication that anything was wrong!
What do you folks think?

Hi Guys, Yesterday I decided to change the plugs on the 02 1.2 Stilo, as it was well overdue, anyway, I removed the first coil, I was greeted with the sight of it coated in oil!! with oil coating the walls of the coil housing down to the plug, I quickly replced it and checked the second coil, same thing!, so I'm asking where do you think the oil is coming from, is this likely to be a blown gasket, and if so is it a big repair job, amazingly the car still runs fine, and I had no prior indication that anything was wrong!
What do you folks think?

That doesn't sound very good...It sounds like maybe it could be one of two things. Either you're getting oil into the cylinder which is then being pushed out around the plugs by the compression or maybe you've just got a leak around the cam cover dripping into the coil housing. I doubt it's the second as the coils have a rubber guard to stop stuff getting to the sparkplugs plus you'd see the leak.

Do you get any grey/black smoke out of the exhaust?

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the 1.2 unit but hopefully someone will be able to help you out soon! Good luck! (y)

That doesn't sound very good...It sounds like maybe it could be one of two things. Either you're getting oil into the cylinder which is then being pushed out around the plugs by the compression or maybe you've just got a leak around the cam cover dripping into the coil housing. I doubt it's the second as the coils have a rubber guard to stop stuff getting to the sparkplugs plus you'd see the leak.

Do you get any grey/black smoke out of the exhaust?

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the 1.2 unit but hopefully someone will be able to help you out soon! Good luck! (y)

Hi Greggers, thanks for your quick response mate, there is no grey or black smoke of any kind!, as I say I had no clue anything was wrong, she was and still is ticking over quite nicely, :confused:
I haven't attempted to try and clean out the oil from the coil and housing yet, to try and trace the leak.

Hi Greggers, thanks for your quick response mate, there is no grey or black smoke of any kind!, as I say I had no clue anything was wrong, she was and still is ticking over quite nicely, :confused:
I haven't attempted to try and clean out the oil from the coil and housing yet, to try and trace the leak.

No worries, matey. Happy to help any way I can (y)

What sort of state was the end of the sparkplugs like? Did they seem to be coated with oil or was the oil only evident on the top half of the plug and the coil? If there was oi being pushed past the plug by the compression, then the end of the plug should be quite badly tarnished.

No worries, matey. Happy to help any way I can (y)

What sort of state was the end of the sparkplugs like? Did they seem to be coated with oil or was the oil only evident on the top half of the plug and the coil? If there was oi being pushed past the plug by the compression, then the end of the plug should be quite badly tarnished.

Greggers, when I removed the coil from the housing it seemed to be clean and dry, and in good condition, as you suggest the rubber sleeve seems to have prevented any oil getting to the top half, the oil was confined to the coil and housing, I have'nt attempted to remove the plug itself yet.

Back