Technical Oil in air filter compartment??

Currently reading:
Technical Oil in air filter compartment??

[email protected]

Hello all :)

If people have been reading my recent threads then they'll know that I've had probs with my cinq sporting. Big puff of white smoke when pushing her past 70 or after a hill. Had head skimmed & welding after corrosion found, drove home and same problem again!

Dont know too much about mechanical stuff but had alook under bonnet today, coolant ok - but opened air filter and found alot of what looks like oil inside. Cant ever remember seeing it like that before.

Is this something normal or could this be the cause of my prob?:confused:

Hello all :)

If people have been reading my recent threads then they'll know that I've had probs with my cinq sporting. Big puff of white smoke when pushing her past 70 or after a hill. Had head skimmed & welding after corrosion found, drove home and same problem again!

Dont know too much about mechanical stuff but had alook under bonnet today, coolant ok - but opened air filter and found alot of what looks like oil inside. Cant ever remember seeing it like that before.

Is this something normal or could this be the cause of my prob?:confused:

Oil comes up through the breather tube from the cam cover into the airbox, so pretty normal - though excessive oil may not be :)

Your white smoke wont really be anything oil related as the smoke would be a blue colour - so its something water based.

:idea: I wonder if overfilling with oil/coolant could cause this problem?

Last edited:
Going to mention the oil in air filter compartment to garage when I take back (there is alot, enough to be worried anyway).
(y)

There should be a little residue, but if it's flooded or pooling then it'd suggest engine wear - either piston rings or valve guides / guide seals.

Sonic2 - overfilling with oil could cause it, but overfilling with coolant should just push some out of the expansion bottle cap.

Back