Technical Oil/Engine Problem?

Currently reading:
Technical Oil/Engine Problem?

EmmaC

Hi All,
Wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I've been having recently with my 1.2 500 pop.

A few weeks ago I filled up with petrol from Tesco (I normally fill up in Asda) and as soon as I drove away I noticed my car felt very heavy and different to drive. I don't know if this has anything to do with the actual problem but I had no problems with my car prior to this.

A couple of days after this I went to drive to work as normal, the car started, however as soon as I put it into first gear and went to drive off the car lurched forward, cut out, and the oil light came on. Thinking I had possibly stalled it I tried again and the same thing happened. I checked my oil, and it was in between the indicators on the dipstick, but topped oil up anyway - the car was then fine.

Then about a week after, the exact same thing happened again. I checked the oil again, it was of course fine! I topped up oil again, the car drove again but now it is very noisy, feels very different to drive and getting past 60 feels very hard for my car. It's only a small engine but it could previously do 100 with ease! I also noticed that the petrol gauge was fluctuating, obviously it's digital so it shouldn't. My 'shift up/down' reminders weren't showing on the dash and neither was the information about what track was playing on the CD. Thinking I had an oil leak and electrical fault or something I took it to a mechanic who advised there was nothing he could find, my oil and electrics were fine (this is a family mechanic who I've used for years.)

I put in more petrol at Asda like normal in the hopes that I had had a bad batch of petrol from Tesco that was making my car drive worse the lower my petrol got. It seems to have helped with the engine sound a little but not much.

I'm worried that there is still a problem and driving my car is going to kill it! Is there anything I can do myself to check what's wrong? Or any suggestions as to what it sounds like it could be? I don't have a lot of money so taking it for a head to toe check is a bit out of my price range at the mo.

It's an 11 plate and has done 11,000 miles.

Thanks for any help!

I lost my job recently and so I'm a little behind on my payments as had no money coming in! So I didn't think they would do anything for me!

I lost my job recently and so I'm a little behind on my payments as had no money coming in! So I didn't think they would do anything for me!

Condolences on the loss of income - hope you find something else soon.

You may have fallen on hard times, but you still have the right to expect fair treatment from the supplying dealer.

Hi All,
Wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I've been having recently with my 1.2 500 pop.

A few weeks ago I filled up with petrol from Tesco (I normally fill up in Asda) and as soon as I drove away I noticed my car felt very heavy and different to drive. I don't know if this has anything to do with the actual problem but I had no problems with my car prior to this.

A couple of days after this I went to drive to work as normal, the car started, however as soon as I put it into first gear and went to drive off the car lurched forward, cut out, and the oil light came on. Thinking I had possibly stalled it I tried again and the same thing happened. I checked my oil, and it was in between the indicators on the dipstick, but topped oil up anyway - the car was then fine.

Then about a week after, the exact same thing happened again. I checked the oil again, it was of course fine! I topped up oil again, the car drove again but now it is very noisy, feels very different to drive and getting past 60 feels very hard for my car. It's only a small engine but it could previously do 100 with ease! I also noticed that the petrol gauge was fluctuating, obviously it's digital so it shouldn't. My 'shift up/down' reminders weren't showing on the dash and neither was the information about what track was playing on the CD. Thinking I had an oil leak and electrical fault or something I took it to a mechanic who advised there was nothing he could find, my oil and electrics were fine (this is a family mechanic who I've used for years.)

I put in more petrol at Asda like normal in the hopes that I had had a bad batch of petrol from Tesco that was making my car drive worse the lower my petrol got. It seems to have helped with the engine sound a little but not much.

I'm worried that there is still a problem and driving my car is going to kill it! Is there anything I can do myself to check what's wrong? Or any suggestions as to what it sounds like it could be? I don't have a lot of money so taking it for a head to toe check is a bit out of my price range at the mo.

It's an 11 plate and has done 11,000 miles.

Thanks for any help!

When you topped up the oil did you use the correct grade I.e. 5w40 ACEA C3 ? Also given that it's a 1.2 with only 11k - did it need topping up ?

Issue with supermarket fuel was a active topic some moons back and googling it again there are some very recent activity where it has reared it's ugly head again. One useful post mentioned that if you see a tanker in a garage not to go in since whatever contaminants are in the underground tanks get stirred up. If you only noticed the difference in performance after the fill up would you consider taking all the fuel of the tank and putting in a better brand fuel with more additives. Also given the compression ratio of the 1.2 being 11:1 it works better on higher octane fuel. Also given the ethanol content in petrol would you consider changing the plugs early to new ones. The NGK iridium will save you money if you have to get someone to put them in.

My rule is never to use supermarket fuels, for the reasons mentioned above.

Secondly, you said a 'family' mechanic looked at it. Was he a Fiat mechanic and did he do the right diagnostics? Since it is still under guarantee (?) I would have thought the first point of call would have been a Fiat dealer.

It does sound like some sort of fuel contaminant, even a drop of water in the fuel could do this. Good luck anyway.

PS. Just read earlier messages and so now see point re warranty.
Very best wishes in all areas.

Last edited:
... I'm worried that there is still a problem ...

I think some of what you say maybe no problem at all.
The oil level doesn’t effect a start-up/stall.
The oil pressure warning light would be `on’ if the engine “cut out”.
I can’t see a fuel change being noticeable “as soon as” drawing away.
But the engine needs time to adjust to a new diet.
I think the weight gain from a full tank is about the same as your granny.
Any forecourt tank can be contaminated if they don’t have good housekeeping.
(The fuel scare of 2007 wasn’t limited to supermarkets).
If money is tight & you’re more inclined to run on a low tank - that would leave you more open to condensation etc. forming in your tank.

If you log your fuel receipts & black-box read-outs then you may spot a negative change.
For example, negative results get worse running towards a service.
Some folks hold-on to their receipts to provide proof of purchase in case of fuel contamination.

(Jim was an early mechanic of mine. Sundays many a yoof would turn-up & leave their show-pony for a tune-up. Later they’d be back to fire-up with mucho revs & agree they could detect an improvement. He never touched the cars – they’d just been relieved of a few notes for a phantom tune-up).

071440Z

I think some of what you say maybe no problem at all.
The oil level doesn’t effect a start-up/stall.
The oil pressure warning light would be `on’ if the engine “cut out”.
I can’t see a fuel change being noticeable “as soon as” drawing away.
But the engine needs time to adjust to a new diet.
I think the weight gain from a full tank is about the same as your granny.
Any forecourt tank can be contaminated if they don’t have good housekeeping.
(The fuel scare of 2007 wasn’t limited to supermarkets).
If money is tight & you’re more inclined to run on a low tank - that would leave you more open to condensation etc. forming in your tank.

If you log your fuel receipts & black-box read-outs then you may spot a negative change.
For example, negative results get worse running towards a service.
Some folks hold-on to their receipts to provide proof of purchase in case of fuel contamination.

(Jim was an early mechanic of mine. Sundays many a yoof would turn-up & leave their show-pony for a tune-up. Later they’d be back to fire-up with mucho revs & agree they could detect an improvement. He never touched the cars – they’d just been relieved of a few notes for a phantom tune-up).

071440Z

I did think the weight gain was from having a fuller tank, but the car definitely drove very differently for me. And I did notice it straight away. I don't always run on a low tank, normally about a quarter?

I didn't think oil would affect the engine starting or not but the car would only let me drive away when the oil had been topped up.

Not sure what you mean about Jim but the mechanic didn't charge me anything if you're implying that he said he checked it over just to get money (y)

My rule is never to use supermarket fuels, for the reasons mentioned above.

Secondly, you said a 'family' mechanic looked at it. Was he a Fiat mechanic and did he do the right diagnostics? Since it is still under guarantee (?) I would have thought the first point of call would have been a Fiat dealer.

It does sound like some sort of fuel contaminant, even a drop of water in the fuel could do this. Good luck anyway.

PS. Just read earlier messages and so now see point re warranty.
Very best wishes in all areas.

Yawn, yawn, yawn. Supermarket fuel is just the same as any bog standard fuel from any petrol station. Where the feck do you think it comes from? Planet crap fuel. Believe me, it all comes from the same refinery if you live in Scotland. I would assume the same applies elsewhere in the UK.

Yawn, yawn, yawn. Supermarket fuel is just the same as any bog standard fuel from any petrol station. Where the feck do you think it comes from? Planet crap fuel. Believe me, it all comes from the same refinery if you live in Scotland. I would assume the same applies elsewhere in the UK.

My brother-in-law got some petrol down the country in an out of the way petrol station and the oxygen sensor when it in. He had only replaced it the previous 6 months and he put it done to bad petrol. It was a 320i with the 2.2L engine. I'm sure it wouldn't take much research to prove that the additives in the branded petrol are better for your engine and allow it to run better. Also changing to better petrol or I should say higher octane petrol takes time for the engine to trust the new fuel. But if the octane drops the ECU steps back the timing advance and runs less efficiently. This has a noticeable immediate effect.

I did think the weight gain was from having a fuller tank, but the car definitely drove very differently for me. And I did notice it straight away. I don't always run on a low tank, normally about a quarter?

I didn't think oil would affect the engine starting or not but the car would only let me drive away when the oil had been topped up.

Not sure what you mean about Jim but the mechanic didn't charge me anything if you're implying that he said he checked it over just to get money (y)

The weight if a full tank would not be noticeable.
It could be that you got some poor fuel but its best to get the car checked out at the dealer. I cannot imagine that the dealer will know anything about the finance situation.
I do hope you see better times soon.

Not being dumb here but could the hand brake still be on / sticking causing the car to have to pull harder to move :confused:

... Not sure what you mean about Jim but the mechanic didn't charge me anything if you're implying that he said he checked it over just to get money (y)

I wasn’t implying your Sooty was from the same envelope as Jim. It sounds like he hopes to keep your business if he hasn’t charged for his time. In contrast, Jim & Co may well have found something that needed replacing. I recall I took him to view my shortlist of motors for my first buy. He advised the `best buy’ was the one that needed new brakes – I wonder why … ka-ching!

Fifth Gear did a “Posh Fuel” trial (2012?) with a Golf GTi (Mk35) 235HP & concluded it wasn’t worth buying in terms of power gain. But they didn’t go into elements such as lubricity or cleaner burn. In an earlier trial, they’d claimed it wasn’t worth buying unless you had a high-performance engine.

If you ask the forecourt staff they may or may not know the source of your fuel. I’ve chatted with some three tanker drivers & they were all willing to advise on what refinery their load was from. But best to approach carefully – as they’re obviously a bit nervous when in the middle of operations.

If you suspect the fuel – you could try trading standards (or whatever they’re called now) to enquire if they’ve received any complaints. If you’re a lone-voice then it’s more likely the car & not the fuel source.

081148Z

Back