Technical Oil change warning

Currently reading:
Technical Oil change warning

MalcJ

How does my 2015 Fiorino decide when to tell me to change my oil ?
Is it just a mileage generated thing ? Or is it cleverer than that, like, maybe, a viscosity measurement somehow ?
I recently had my oil and filters changed, as part of some other bits and pieces that needed doing. The next day I get the change engine oil warning and flashing oil can light.
I've reset it now, but it's bothering me.

You've not said what year your car is, but most modern diesels have an Oil degradation sensor on the bottom of the sump.

My understanding of the working of this sensor is that it measures the temperature of the oil and the electrical resistance of the oil, and using some math's works out the viscosity through known parameters of the oil the car should have in it.

as the oil ages, it oxidizes and other chemicals build up in the oil which changes the viscosity, it also changes the electrical resistance, so it knows if there is a change in the resistance then it is likely to have changed the viscosity by a known amount. The sensors also include a level sensor so if there is a lot of fuel in the oil from trying to do a DPF regen and the level of the oil is too high, you will also get a warning to replace the oil as it will know the oil has been contaminated with too much fuel.

Hmm, that's interesting, but I'd be a bit surprised if my van had that much tech. As I mentioned in the post, it's a 2015 van, so nearly nine years old. I did notice, when I checked the oil that the level was a bit high.
Wonder if that might have triggered a high oil level sensor ?

Hmm, that's interesting, but I'd be a bit surprised if my van had that much tech. As I mentioned in the post, it's a 2015 van, so nearly nine years old. I did notice, when I checked the oil that the level was a bit high.

Hi 🙂

During an oil change you have to TELL THE ECU that you've got clean oil or it will struggle to Regen the DPF

THE ECU Adds fuel to aid a regen..

Lots of unsuccessful Regens adds a lot of fuel.. This can add fuel to the oil = raising the level 😕

Ah, thank you, I wasn't aware of that at all.
How do I tell the ecu ? I presume it's not just a case of finding the thing and giving it a good talking to ?
If it's anything to do with software and connecting it a laptop etc, I'm well out of my depth.

Sorry id not read that. And yes if it’s a 2015 van it will be euro 5 maybe even euro 6 it will definitely have a DPF filter and so will definitely have this tech

Probably identical engine to yours 🙂

Thank you all very much for your responses and expertise.
I'm obviously a bit old school for all this diesel tech. As is the garage which I use.
I very much doubt if they would have done this.
I could do with a little advice on

a) is it OK to use the van until I can find a way to sort this. I'm due to be using for a trip to Wales on Thursday, probably doing about 500 miles.
b) what's my best bet for getting this done, in the shortest possible time.
Thanks again,
Malc

Thank you all very much for your responses and expertise.
I'm obviously a bit old school for all this diesel tech. As is the garage which I use.
I very much doubt if they would have done this.
I could do with a little advice on

a) is it OK to use the van until I can find a way to sort this. I'm due to be using for a trip to Wales on Thursday, probably doing about 500 miles.
b) what's my best bet for getting this done, in the shortest possible time.
Thanks again,
Malc
Look on the forums MULTIECUSCAN register,

That is people with the correct kit
(MES). to reset the things in the ECU

Where are you based.. Or visiting..?

I am near the M4 🙂

Once upon a very long time ago I was also near the M4, in Chippenham, then Bristol. But we've lived in the North for 20+ years now, just south of Preston.
I'll have a look to see if anyone near me has the kit.
Once again, very many thanks for the help 👍

Snowdonia way, mate, with wife and a pair of German Shepherds in tow.
The 15th is our 33rd wedding anniversary, so we're going to hide ourselves away, in the middle of nowhere, where the kids won't find us.

Like a plan! 👍
So....
Just advice, I won't hold you solely responsible, or anything, if disaster strikes, but how much risk am I running if I make this trip without the ecu reset ? I can't see a way that I can find time to get it organised before we go.

Back