Technical Oil Change Question

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Change Question

sajr

I am thinking about changing the oil on my 500 Lounge and just wanted to know should I change the Oil Filter too?
Thanks

When fitting the new filter, oil the seal lightly.
This is not to help it seal, as most think, but to allow it to slide as it is tightened.

If the seal is fitted dry, as it tightens against the housing face, the rubber seal face tries to grip, rather than slide. This creates minute puckering of the surface, like lots of very tiny folds, which get squashed tight. Then as the engine is run, it gets hot, then cools, then hot again, etc. Over a short time, the rubber seal relaxes and suddenly it lets go and all your oil is ejected very quickly. At best very messy, at worst, new engine needed. At least the "failed" filter can be just retightened and the oil refilled. Experience with a major filter manufacturer shows this to happen after about 300 miles. So if you've ever had this happen, that is why.

The filter on these engines is the element type.

Thanks for that. Just assumed 1.2 petrol. For any spin-on canister, my advice still stands.

For an element, make sure that whatever seal is used is in good condition.

I understand that the diesel is an element, and of course earlier 1.2s were all canister. Is the latest 1.2 element? What does the TA use?

Last edited:
TA is an element.

Indeed it is:

periodicTable_Ta.jpg

Thanks for that. Just assumed 1.2 petrol. For any spin-on canister, my advice still stands.

For an element, make sure that whatever seal is used is in good condition.

I understand that the diesel is an element, and of course earlier 1.2s were all canister. Is the latest 1.2 element? What does the TA use?

The TA filter comes with the O ring for the cover. Oil this to ease its fitting as you screw the cover down and stop it getting pinched.

Slightly off topic - apologies - but when I first started in the trade, had to change the oil and filter on a 1954 Rover P4 (Auntie Rover for those who know it.). The element filter was a pain to re-seal, until I discovered it was oval, presumably previously run over or trodden on. So best to check.

Always a good idea to ensure the sump plug is replaced before refilling with oil. One of my first, this Rover. Remembered just as I finished pouring in the first quart (2 pints = 1.1lit). Got the plug back in just as the oil got there!

Back