TTR

Established member
Eh up all,

I did my scheduled oil n filter change on the twin air this weekend

febi filter
0/30w oil acea c2 and fiat spec 9.55535 - exactly 3.2l

filter in correctly with lug seated first in filter housing
all bolts torqued to correct spec
exact 3.2l - I know how sensitive these things are !!!!

finished job car started no problem- left until Mrs used it today, started fine this mornin.

heres the issue- she came to car tonight to drive home - on starting the eml light came up and “ it sounded odd” 😳

she then drove the car 100m 🤬 FFS !!!!!

got the call the car had no power and amber eml light on, told her to pull over and turn off,

then told her to restart car - before moving anywhere confirmed eml light was out, talked her through next 10 minutes whilist she was driving and all appeared well, so she drove home.

when I got in took car out, started fine, no lights on, drove fine, actually checked oil level and it’s spot on. Decided to stretch it’s legs through the box and it was fine, no miss or lag.

Anyone any ideas.?I’ve no access to a code reader so a bit stuffed.

I cannot understand why it would throw a wobble 🤬

anyone any thoughts or views - it’s really odd never had this before

cheers in advance

I've always believed that a problem arising shortly after you've done something to a car is most likely to have been caused by something you did.

So on that basis, if you've just changed the oil, I'd say the most likely cause is something oil related. IIRC this is a TA, and we all know just how much these depend on the manufacturer's specified oil for correct operation.

Note that, if you want certainty, this means it has to be Selenia; an oil with the same specification from a different manufacturer may not work correctly.

The thinking behind this is that correct operation of the uniair module depends on a specific temperature/viscosity curve for the oil, and different brands of the same specification of oil may not have exactly the same temperature/viscosity characteristics.

There's a detailed explanation in this document.

Now all that said, it's also possible that the uniair module may need a little time for all the oil passageways to refill after an oil change, so if this glitch turns out to be a one-off and it doesn't recur, then I'd not worry too much about it.

It was a cold damp weekend, you working outside, the engine got cold? the oil took time to flow, so volume not an issue but being in the right place. Air bubble/lock in the filter, damp filter even, or an oil gallery and the sensor picked this up? Just a glitch.....? On "old" engines with a proper oil pressure gauge, blip on the needle or slow rise, you can see this occurs after a filter change.

Eh up all

Jrkitching- I tend to work on the same principles- I would have preferred to use digitek or Selina oils neither of which I could easily source, instead spent ages finding the correctly specified oil to minimise risk- I know how ridiculously sensitive these engines appear to be. Luckily or otherwise no issues today and the Italian Tune Up I gave it last night may or may not have assisted

Witley- fair point but I’m in the garage and car ran fine on Saturday and on Monday morning. I’m thinking it’s a sensor issue somewhere and it’s highly likely to be related to the oil change but why and how it’s cleared up I’m lost on !

Cheers for the inputs will keep the thread open

PS any views on my other thread re the water leak ???

Now all that said, it's also possible that the uniair module may need a little time for all the oil passageways to refill after an oil change, so if this glitch turns out to be a one-off and it doesn't recur, then I'd not worry too much about it.
My TA 4x4 has had to stand for the last 4 weeks (and previously for another extended period) each time on restart it has had a misfire, or running persistently on one cylinder, which, without revving, clears in probably less than a minute. I believe this relates to oil draining from the UniAir system and especially the actuators and it takes a little while to purge any air and refill, this also occurred after a DIY oil change. I didn't get any EML messaging but then didn't try to drive it so the engine management may be a little more tolerant in this situation; maybe this is what you have experienced??

Eh up Panda II

I’m beginning to think this may have been the case.

Odd it drove ok 10 miles in the morning to get Mrs to work but then threw a wobbly but I’m guessing it could happen

It’s been fine since so fingers crossed

Cheers for the inputs

Note that, if you want certainty, this means it has to be Selenia; an oil with the same specification from a different manufacturer may not work correctly.

Second that whole heartedly, had several hours worth of head scratching problems on ours a few years ago including horrible cold running and out of spec Lambda readings on the MOT (indicating lean mixture, basically the inlet valves were a little slow closing letting in a bit too much air) This place came to the rescue!

Back