General Off to look at a Marea

Currently reading:
General Off to look at a Marea

Hello Peeps,

Plug here from Panda section. As title, I'm off to look at a Marea in about an hour. It's a W plate 2.0 ELX, 4 owners but only 56000 miles, cam belt done at 48 and full service history, allegedly. Sounds promising, but there's no red key. Is that really a show-stopper? There are 2 other keys that work.

Any particular pointers as for things I should look out for? I've read the buying guide on the forum, plenty to absorb there.

If anyone is reads this before 2PM and feels like singing out, any contributions would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Plug

red key isnt such an issue anymore as you can get one made if required but chances are you will never need it.

sounds like its been looked after but make sure the tensioners and waterpump were changed with the belt.

take it for a spin, when she's warm you should feel a kick at 4500k where the power comes out.

W plate must be a 155 so you should be easily able to tell when the VIS kicks in.

other than that just general checks really, might need the wishbones replacing about now.....

Ry

Ha!

Arranged to see the car at 3 PM (40 miles from me), set off at 2. Got a phone call from the vendor just after I left, saying he was out and stuck in traffic on the M25. No problems, says I, I won't be there for an hour anyway.

Arrived at vendors house, ring bell, no answer. Ring his mobile, he's got off motorway and is trying to route across country. Reckons he'll be 30 minutes.

Anyway, after an hour I give up and head home. Got a text from him 10 minutes after setting off, saying he'll be there in another 10. Rang him back and said forget it, too dark to do anything now. He is now possibly bringing the car down to me tomorrow, I guess it depends how much he wants to sell it.

The car looked OK from the outside, a few dinks and scratches but it doesn't look like a complete shed. The interior looks OK, the seat squab on the driver's seat looks a little saggy (possible fat arse owner at some point) but otherwise pretty tidy.

I'm still interested but I'm not going to bust a gut over it - if the vendor brings it down tomorrow and it drives OK then I'll make him an offer - if he doesn't then I won't bother going back. I know from experience what a pain in the arse it is selling cars privately - and if you let a potential buyer go who turns up on time, with cash in his pocket, then you deserve to be lumbered with the car forever.

I'll let you know the outcome...

Cheers,

Plug.

the 20v golfs really lack torque. it put me off buying a mk4 1.8GTi, my 1.8HLX bravo felt a lot quicker. you had to kill the golf to get it moving.

Golf is an early V5 (150bhp 10 valve - they did make a 20 valve version of the engine, fitted after 2001). Not a sports car, but quick enough and makes a lovely noise. So I still ended up with a 5 pot.. and the engine doesn't have to come out to change the water pump ;)

Cheers,

Plug

Last edited:
Back