500 Off Road Gal & her FIAT

Currently reading:
500 Off Road Gal & her FIAT

gorillamel

I own a 2013 500 S (USA) that I got this past May.

I got the FIAT to be my daily driver to save gas since my other vehicle is not so gas efficient. I am an avid off road hobbyist/adventurist. So dealing with a very small car is new to me since every time I see a dirt track leading into the mountains, I feel the desire to explore it.

Truthfully, I joined this form to do some research on the Panda. I intend to participate in the Mongol Rally in 2015 and plan to purchase a Panda (since they are not available in N America...yet) in the UK. The rules of the Rally state that the vehicle cannot be any older than 10 years and must have an engine 1.2L or smaller.

My goal is to find out dimensions of the undercarriage and locations of important "bits" so that I can fab up some skid plates. I also want to beef up the suspension a little bit to make it stiffer and allow a larger tire/tyre size.

Anyway, I look forward to learning on here. Now for the good stuff....photos!

3-wheeling my 500
969713_673867921553_745288489_n.jpg

My FIAT at work
563599_695008830003_1937441902_n.jpg

And, just because- the true love of my life: 2005 Nissan Xterra S (w/ some mods) :-D
533_679290784093_1005025266_n.jpg

Truthfully, I joined this form to do some research on the Panda. I intend to participate in the Mongol Rally in 2015 and plan to purchase a Panda (since they are not available in N America...yet) in the UK. The rules of the Rally state that the vehicle cannot be any older than 10 years and must have an engine 1.2L or smaller.

Keep in mind you'll need a Twinair Panda, assuming they allow turbos, as the 1.2 is 1242cc.

Thanks for the info! I have actually been looking closely at Cape Town to London Panda for a bit. Great info on the mods they did to it to prep it for the trip (sounds mostly feasible to me, too).

My FIAT is next to an MRAP (mine-resistant ambush protected) vehicle in that photo. If it was just a bit thinner, the 500 could definitely fit inside it.

My goal is to get the Climbing or Cross in diesel since it gets better mpgs. Locking rear diff would be nice, but is not a requirement for me. I can use an engine slightly larger than 1.2 (up to 1.4), but pay a penalty (100UK per 0.1L), which basically means I give more money to the charity I will be supporting for the Rally.

Back