Technical Oem airbox question

Currently reading:
Technical Oem airbox question

JDS82

I have a punto evo 2015, now I want to instal an custom made cold air intake since the stock oem box is way to huge and its on top of a hot engine. I've been searching for a very long time and there are no aftermarket air Intakes for my fiat so I have to make my own I guess. Now I have 1 question, there are 2 hoses going into the airbox, 1 big and 1 small. The big one is the PCV I know this. But what is the other small one for that goes behind the airbox??

My personal advice is to leave the stock airbox you will not gain any power from this engine adding a cold air intake just likey extra noise

Which engine do you have exactly in this car as you've not said

My personal advice is to leave the stock airbox you will not gain any power from this engine adding a cold air intake just likey extra noise

Which engine do you have exactly in this car as you've not said
You might be right, after lots of research i wil keep the stock airbox but I wil put a bigger snorkus on it . A 90° L type alu pipe 76mm with an velocity stack at the end, so I can take the coldest air possible from the front/bottom of the car. Since hot air rises and cold air stays lower under the bonnet. I already have a k&n drop in filter. Maybe a wil heat wrap the bottom and front piece of the stock airbox also. I want to turn the stock airbox into a CAI basically 😁 and ist a 1.2 8v gasoline from 2015

You might be right, after lots of research i wil keep the stock airbox but I wil put a bigger snorkus on it . A 90° L type alu pipe 76mm with an velocity stack at the end, so I can take the coldest air possible from the front/bottom of the car. Since hot air rises and cold air stays lower under the bonnet. I already have a k&n drop in filter. Maybe a wil heat wrap the bottom and front piece of the stock airbox also. I want to turn the stock airbox into a CAI basically 😁 and ist a 1.2 8v gasoline from 2015
Yup, I agree with chris. A 1.2 in a punto isn't worth wasting your time or money on trying to improve performance. In fact, if you are successful in managing to introduce a cooler, less restricted air supply you might even loose power due to the ECU being unable to accommodate this into it's map of what the fueling should be. On the other hand I have to congratulate you for wanting to get involved in improving your car. It's great fun and teaches you a lot when you get involved with doing this sort of stuff. Back in the 60's one of the first things I did to my cars was to fit a "pancake" type air filter - made lots of "lovely" intake noises, I used to like to think it made it sound like a Lotus! - Only later did I find out that those types of filter actually did very little "filtering" and were really quite bad for the engine! Great fun though!

Thanks for the reply s 👍 I already tested it by putting a flexible bigger snorkus on for couple of days, I took the negative battery cable off for 15 min to reset ecu and I changed the MAP sensor. The sensor had oil on it is this normal? I can say now for a fact that the throttle respons improved and gas mileage went significantly down, from 7.5 liters to 6.6 over a week period. And I drive rather "sporty " I also cleaned the system with enjection cleaner. Now I'm not sure if the new MAP sensor or the cold air feed to stock box did this, maybe both but the car runs better now.

Just to confirm.. your FuelConsumption went Down :cool:
We count how Far 4.55litres of fuel will get you.. in the UK :)
Always confuses me Charlie. I think they measure fuel consumption per 100 KM? So JDS's consumption went down from 7.5 litres to 6.6? Therefore he used less fuel after his modifications - 1.64 gallons to 1.45. - This translates from to 42.7 mpgHe also tells us he fitted a new MAP sensor and that the old one was "oily" There have been other posts about "oily" MAP sensors and how you should clean them if you find yours is like this. So I think it more likely that his improvements - fuel consumption and drivability - are due to fitting the new sensor? 100 KM is approximately 62 miles. This translates into 37.8 mpg to 41.3 by our system of measurement, a small but worthwhile improvement especially if it drives better. Just to compare, I don't keep a very close check on Becky's (2010 Panda 60 hp) consumption, and she does mostly local "shopping type" journeys, but I think she (Becky) is probably averaging out around 45 mpg - and a fair bit of that will be on a "rich" cold mixture.

Always confuses me Charlie. I think they measure fuel consumption per 100 KM? So JDS's consumption went down from 7.5 litres to 6.6? Therefore he used less fuel after his modifications - 1.64 gallons to 1.45. - This translates from to 42.7 mpgHe also tells us he fitted a new MAP sensor and that the old one was "oily" There have been other posts about "oily" MAP sensors and how you should clean them if you find yours is like this. So I think it more likely that his improvements - fuel consumption and drivability - are due to fitting the new sensor? 100 KM is approximately 62 miles. This translates into 37.8 mpg to 41.3 by our system of measurement, a small but worthwhile improvement especially if it drives better. Just to compare, I don't keep a very close check on Becky's (2010 Panda 60 hp) consumption, and she does mostly local "shopping type" journeys, but I think she (Becky) is probably averaging out around 45 mpg - and a fair bit of that will be on a "rich" cold mixture.
Yes! Thanks for clearing that out 😄

Back