Technical Obtaining replacement key and fob

Currently reading:
Technical Obtaining replacement key and fob

misanthrope

Hello! My fiat only has one key and fob. I want a backup just in case I lose or break my only copy. I have heard it is a much more expensive ordeal to get a new key programmed if you do not have the original.

I called the local Fiat dealer and he told me I have to buy the key from Mopar, that the key already comes precut and he would program it "if I wanted". Does this make sense? How would mopar know how to cut my key? Do they use the vin number or something else? I was under the impression all keys/fobs need to be programmed to the car in order to work.

A bit confused. Thanks!

Hello! My fiat only has one key and fob. I want a backup just in case I lose or break my only copy. I have heard it is a much more expensive ordeal to get a new key programmed if you do not have the original.

I called the local Fiat dealer and he told me I have to buy the key from Mopar, that the key already comes precut and he would program it "if I wanted". Does this make sense? How would mopar know how to cut my key? Do they use the vin number or something else? I was under the impression all keys/fobs need to be programmed to the car in order to work.

A bit confused. Thanks!
I assume you are talking about the current Fiat 500 and not the old 60s classics ;), if this is the case then Fiat do have a system as described.
However if you have good quality Auto Locksmith in your area he should be capable of cutting a blank key that he provides to the profile of your existing key, so that it will go into your locks and mechanically lock and unlock, he then with his laptop and equipment programs a chip for that key to match your other key you provide him with.
It may be a good idea not to give him your address in case he makes two spare keys ;). He will need to have the car beside him as they plug into the OBD diagnostic port on the car as part of the operation.
I had this done for my daughters Punto Evo plus many other makes.
I am assuming this isn't a nearly new car as hopefully you would have all spare keys if that was the case.
If buying a second hand car it is wise to insist on having all keys and if from a dealer make them supply a working spare as part of the deal.
Now don't get me wrong ;), but if this is/was an old "banger runabout" you could have a basic spare cut at a locksmith, make sure it turned the locks correctly and then take the chip from your working key and attach it to the antennae ring around the ignition key slot securely and place that with it's wire still connected out of sight and the car should start and work fine although obviously not as secure and could invalidate insurance in event of a claim.
To prove this point have a basic none chip key cut , place it in the ignition slot and hold your good key against the slot, the car should then start.
One final thing if you have a key cut a lot of locksmiths will just give it to you feeling sharp and rough to the touch, this will soon damage a good lock resulting in lock failure, so it is good practice if the locksmith just runs the new cut key against the wire brush on his equipment taking off the burrs, they don't all do that.

I assume you are talking about the current Fiat 500 and not the old 60s classics ;), if this is the case then Fiat do have a system as described.
However if you have good quality Auto Locksmith in your area he should be capable of cutting a blank key that he provides to the profile of your existing key, so that it will go into your locks and mechanically lock and unlock, he then with his laptop and equipment programs a chip for that key to match your other key you provide him with.
It may be a good idea not to give him your address in case he makes two spare keys ;). He will need to have the car beside him as they plug into the OBD diagnostic port on the car as part of the operation.
I had this done for my daughters Punto Evo plus many other makes.
I am assuming this isn't a nearly new car as hopefully you would have all spare keys if that was the case.
If buying a second hand car it is wise to insist on having all keys and if from a dealer make them supply a working spare as part of the deal.
Now don't get me wrong ;), but if this is/was an old "banger runabout" you could have a basic spare cut at a locksmith, make sure it turned the locks correctly and then take the chip from your working key and attach it to the antennae ring around the ignition key slot securely and place that with it's wire still connected out of sight and the car should start and work fine although obviously not as secure and could invalidate insurance in event of a claim.
To prove this point have a basic none chip key cut , place it in the ignition slot and hold your good key against the slot, the car should then start.
One final thing if you have a key cut a lot of locksmiths will just give it to you feeling sharp and rough to the touch, this will soon damage a good lock resulting in lock failure, so it is good practice if the locksmith just runs the new cut key against the wire brush on his equipment taking off the burrs, they don't all do that.
I had same issue, dealer wanted 350.00 total for spare key, Local lock smith cloned my original for 72.00 , now I have a spare

For future reference, the US-spec FIAT 500 comes with a card in the owners manual labelled "FIAT Code" and it has both the lock cylinder code and the code for the Sentry Key programming.
20230826_210345.jpg

For future reference, the US-spec FIAT 500 comes with a card in the owners manual labelled "FIAT Code" and it has both the lock cylinder code and the code for the Sentry Key programming.View attachment 429246

The UK got those @2000

But the insurance industry stopped it
(owners were leaving them in the cars.. And could start the motor with the Code) 😉

In the US a JEEP key may well be identical to Fiat of the @2015 era

Potentially easier to access those 🙂

The UK got those @2000

But the insurance industry stopped it
(owners were leaving them in the cars.. And could start the motor with the Code) 😉

In the US a JEEP key may well be identical to Fiat of the @2015 era

Potentially easier to access those 🙂
Yeah it was similar with the Renegade. They didn't have the same card though. I think what Toyota/Lexus/Subaru does is the best. A little metal tag with the lock code only that's (ofc removable) attached to the spare key. No electrical and (the tag) cannot be duplicated.

Back