Technical Number plate lights not working

Currently reading:
Technical Number plate lights not working

johnfoxllb

Hello all,

First time Panda owner. I have a lovely Mk2 (2006) 1.3 multijet with only 51,000 miles.

The number plate lights are not working despite the fact that front and rear sidelights are. I am at a loss to understand why.

I have explored the following:

The condition of the loom between body and tailgate (excellent)
The block connector in the tailgate where power is fed to the exterior bootlid handle/ light unit
Fuses - although I would expect the number plate lights are on the same circuit as the sidelights?
I have sanded the metal bulb connectors (they were fine anyway)
The bulbs themselves are new Osram LED festoon bulbs - I have also tried conventional bulbs

Everything else appears to work on the car save the tailgate release, the problems with which I am aware. The boot opens fine with the key so this is not a concern.

I made up a bulb tester and did not appear to be getting power at the 4 pin block connector in the tailgate mentioned above.

Any thoughts anyone?

The loom in the tailgate is short. There is another connector inside the rear of the car. I cannot now remember where exactly this is. Options are:
1. Inside the rooflining. Don't think so.
2. Behind the upper left side trim. That's the plastic trim panel behind the rear quarter window. This is held in by clips that prefer to break the trim panel than let go, so be careful.
3. Behind the lower left trim panel, inside the boot. This is most likely, and a good place to start, as the fixings come out more easily.

Find the connector. Check for power to it from the car. Wiring colours may change between tailgate loom and car loom, so take care again.
You will probably find power from the car, but not getting to the tailgate plug at the lamps. Despite the loom looking ok, wires could be broken. This is a very common problem with the 500, but their loom gets flexed a lot more as the tailgate opens/shuts.

You may well find the answer to the tailgate release too, although that is more likely to be the microswitch. I fitted one of these: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/push...39303332363426&searchHistory={"enabled":true}
It fitted nicely to the left of the left number plate light, on the horizontal part of the handle/light assembly. Cut the wires off the microswitch and extend them to this switch.

The block connector in the tailgate where power is fed to the exterior bootlid

There shouldn't be a connector

I changed a hatch on a 05 with one from an 06

Pain in the neck as there isn't a connector and you have to take everything off and feed all the wires out change the hatch and feed all the wires back through

the wires are continuous all the way upto the rear seat. Gave up looking for a connector here.

There shouldn't be a connector

I changed a hatch on a 05 with one from an 06

Pain in the neck as there isn't a connector and you have to take everything off and feed all the wires out change the hatch and feed all the wires back through

the wires are continuous all the way upto the rear seat. Gave up looking for a connector here.

There is a connector for each component in the tailgate. Latch switch, wipers, heated window, number plate lamps. They don't all have their wires soldered on.

My thanks to those who replied above.

I have removed the lower inner left boot trim to expose a block connector and will test for power at this location. I will report back.

The rear number plate light/handle piece disconnects behind the carpet panel in the boot door.

4 nuts hold the trim piece on IIRC.

I swapped mine over with another one, and I connected the number plate lights which were fine, but when I plugged in the boot release, it didn't work..... unplugged it, it worked �� very odd.

The rear number plate light/handle piece disconnects behind the carpet panel in the boot door.

4 nuts hold the trim piece on IIRC.

I swapped mine over with another one, and I connected the number plate lights which were fine, but when I plugged in the boot release, it didn't work..... unplugged it, it worked �� very odd.

correct

plus its only got some foam to make it weather proof

I tried fitting an Active to a Dynamic. It looks like it should work but if you lock the car is immediately re opens

johnfoxllb, I have a similar problem on our 57 plate panda multijet; no number plate lights at all; most of the electrical type fittings inside the light fittings are pretty corroded, and my muitimeter is only giving me 0.70 volts at the spade connectors, with b all at the festoon clips. Any idea where to get replacement fittings ? cheers

My number platen Light was also not working.
It would Light up for only half a second, then the dashboard told me: check the number plate Light.
It was simple to fix: just changed 10 Watt bulbs, for the original 5 Watts ones

My number platen Light was also not working.
It would Light up for only half a second, then the dashboard told me: check the number plate Light.

It was simple to fix: just changed 10 Watt bulbs, for the original 5 Watts ones
Who fitted 10 Watt?

I know FIAT sometimes use bulbs away from convention.. So stores stock "the wrong bulbs" for a FIAT

Back