Now - Channel 4 - Coppers

Currently reading:
Now - Channel 4 - Coppers

I think that served as a stark reminder that you NEED to pay full attention to the road, especially to other drivers

Don't spoil it. I'm watching +1. I did have a thought though. That guy was saying dark tints are dangerous in the dark. Now my eye sight is perfect. How come it's illegal for me to block some of the light out of the windows but somebody with bad eye sight is perfectly legal to drive?

Don't spoil it. I'm watching +1. I did have a thought though. That guy was saying dark tints are dangerous in the dark. Now my eye sight is perfect. How come it's illegal for me to block some of the light out of the windows but somebody with bad eye sight is perfectly legal to drive?
It's not legal for somebody with bad eyesight to drive. As with many reportable ailments, the authorities leave it up to the honesty of the individual to report.
Sadly, the only thing that gets an annual check is the car.
IMO, the annual MOT should be compulsory for driver AND vehicle and should be all tied in together in order to get tax and insurance.

i guess it's finished on +1 by now?
I really felt for the copper having to go back to the old boy who lost his wife. & the old boy was right about how the driver would get away with killing his wife - 300 hours community service (if he ever shows up) and an 18month ban (which is often meaningless).
Just shows what a crap justice system we have.

Last edited:

The minimum legal requirement to drive in the UK is the same as for the car or motorcycle driving test, namely that you can read a licence plate from a minimum of 67ft or 23 metres. Mind you, I think the newer style plates have a slightly different requirement.

I watched both episode and, to be honest, I'm quite impressed. Not with what the custody staff from last week and the traffic lads this week had to say, but the fact that they were allowed to say it.

The part where they were waiting in A&E for the outcome of surgery on the victims of the head-on and were laughing and joking was partially explained in the programme, but all members of the emergency services enjoy black humour and often find it in what might be considered as inappropriate moments.

they are not legal to drive, if you drive with defective vision you get done too

not quite
Im legal to drive without my glasses eg the opticial doesnt have to inform DVLA
however if i drive without my glasses a car reg 2-3 cars lengths away would be a bit blurry and night driving would be ....interesting

300 hours community service (if he ever shows up) and an 18month ban (which is often meaningless).
I can't comment on this particular sentence as I wasn't in court and don't have access to all the evidence.

I can confirm that if he doesn't do all the hours of unpaid work, or put in sufficient effort when he does turn up, he will be recalled to court and re-sentenced. He already has the maximum number of hours of unpaid work that the law allows so a judge could order the hours to be completed and add a fine or he could cancel the hours and send him to jail.

There is no power (yet) for anybody to reduce the number of hours of unpaid work a court has ordered. If he had got jail he would have served an absolute maximum of HALF the time. The governor of the jail would have the power to discharge him early. It is common for people to serve well under 25% of what the court ordered.

If he is caught driving while disqualified he will probably go to jail for that. in addition his ban would definitely be extended.

Just shows what a crap justice system we have.
We have the justice system we deserve. People don't talk to prospective MPs and explain that to get their vote they must agree to clamp down on low sentences. People don't bother to talk to their MP and complain about this sort of thing. People don't bother to respond to public consultations about sentencing. If they bother to do anything they complain on forums like this one - I doubt very much if the politicians and civil servants who influence law and sentencing practice come here for information.

The Sentencing Guidelines Council are currently running a consultation exercise on sentencing for assault. How many of the posters here who think courts are too soft have actually responded to it?
http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/sentencing/consultations-current.htm

there was a case here not long ago where people was paying the person who supervises their community service to mark them down as doing it when they hadn't. i bet that wasn't an isolated case either
This is a criminal offence which will result in a significant jail sentence for the probation service employee and the offender(s) involved. Whoever posted about this needs to go to their nearest police station and make a statement.

This is always assuming that the original allegation was based on fact and not supposition.

Community Service whilst i agree is good for the community is a Joke as a punishment.
Plenty of people see it as geting out the house for a couple of hours a week. You can meet other criminals a collude more crime/ find potential customers. (y)

Community Service whilst i agree is good for the community is a Joke as a punishment.
Courts can't impose community service, thats a voluntary activity people can decide to do. Courts can impose unpaid work as part of a Community Order.

it is not uncommon for offenders to refuse to accept an unpaid work punishment even though they know they will go to jail. It is fairly common for offenders who start an unpaid work program to do a few hours and refuse to complete the order. They also go to jail. They don't do this because it all so easy.

This is a criminal offence which will result in a significant jail sentence for the probation service employee and the offender(s) involved. Whoever posted about this needs to go to their nearest police station and make a statement.

This is always assuming that the original allegation was based on fact and not supposition.

it wasn't a probation service employee, it was the person who marked their hours at a charity organisation, they got caught that is how i heard about it

We have the justice system we deserve. People don't talk to prospective MPs and explain that to get their vote they must agree to clamp down on low sentences. People don't bother to talk to their MP and complain about this sort of thing. People don't bother to respond to public consultations about sentencing. If they bother to do anything they complain on forums like this one - I doubt very much if the politicians and civil servants who influence law and sentencing practice come here for information.

The Sentencing Guidelines Council are currently running a consultation exercise on sentencing for assault. How many of the posters here who think courts are too soft have actually responded to it?
http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/sentencing/consultations-current.htm

I HAVE written to my MP and told him what I think about the system and I have given suggestions. I got a letter back full of the usual platitudes.
Then again, what can you expect from tory MPs when the majority of them are borderline criminals anyway.
The only way the law will change is if it is one of their own that is affected directly.
And regarding the consultation exercise, where was this advertised? My MP certainly hasn't thought to point me in the direction of this & it would be almost impossible for your average Joe to trawl the web looking for consultation papers on the offchance that there might be one.

Last edited:
There is only one sentencing guidelines council who conduct all the sentencing consultations so there is no need to trawl the net. I check at intervals but actually found out about this consultation on the TV news. It was also in the national press.

There is only one sentencing guidelines council who conduct all the sentencing consultations so there is no need to trawl the net.
Not something your average joe would know

I check at intervals but actually found out about this consultation on the TV news. It was also in the national press.

If I had seen/heard/read about it, I would have been onto it like a shot - so thank you for the link

Back