Not using wheel trims affect anything?

Currently reading:
Not using wheel trims affect anything?

falconsflame

Hi there! This is probably a silly question but it has been bugging me a while.

Do wheel trims actually protect anything in the wheel from dirt/rust etc? I've got a pretty cheap car with only three trims, it's more economical just to go without them I think!

Thank you! :)

As far as protecting you car from anything, I can think the effects would be negligable.
But If they are relatively smooth in appearance with not many spokes then they can improve fuel economy.

Tom

Those trims held on by springy wire often damage the wheel, when you take the trim off you can see where the wire has made contact with the wheel - generally rust marks. It's not disastrous but can look unsightly.

First thing I used to do with a car was remove the trims & revamp the wheels, rotating with the spare. Clean them up & apply a good thick coat of anti-rust type paint.
Annoyingly, trims supplied often cost an arm and a leg. Somebody loses one & you could end up having your nicked.

I only have 3 left as well, lost one somewhere which is odd considering how tight they were. I think I will go down the repaint the standard ones for a try at something different

Summer without - hence alloys to help keep the brake cool and reducing the chances of brake fade

Winter - keep em on
Many swap to steelies (for winter tyres)
But it shields the brake a lil better and can keep em a lil warmer - since its soo cold i dont know how much warmer they'd be

Ziggy

Wheres the 4th then :confused:

I don't know why: but the fourth hole on each wheel is slightly different; whereas the other three have a kind of lip, which is what the bolts tighten up against... :confused:

(Sorry: this sounds like gibberish. See the picture of this item on eBay -- it might make things a little clearer....) ;)

Hopefully, someone with more of a brain than me will come along later, and explain why...! :idea:

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back