Not Impressed at all!

Currently reading:
Not Impressed at all!

took my stilo abarth in to Caledonia Manchester today to have a faulty heated mirror and rear screen checked out. Got a call back from the dealer and they say it needs new mirror glass - £65 and a new heated rear screen -£155.

I didnt want to pay these prices straight away without checking around so arranged to pick the car up. when I got back to work i noticed that the mirror was now cracked in two places, i rang them about this and they said that theres always a chance that the mirror could crack when checking it.

IMO they should have rung me to ask whether this was ok to go ahead with seeing as now i have a f**cked mirror whereas before it just didnt heat...

all they would offer is a 10% discount. What do you think i should do?

Ive only had the car 6 months and when i bought it i was told that it had a 3 yr warranty...

Please help!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Also does anyone have the contact details for Fiat HQ so i can complain about the service?

Last edited:
i understand that the mirror is thin and can break easily, but i should have been warned plus it wasnt mentioned. i only noticed when i drove off, but i had to be back at work.

I phoned a mate who runs an independant garage, and he said it was very unprofessional in his opinion. If he did that, 1) he would warn the customer 1st and b) he would replace the mirror for free.

as for the screen, two or three elements aren't heating and they have said i need a new screen

They broke your mirror and so they should replace it, esspecially as they let you drive away with it broken (which is actually illegal) without even mentioning it. I'd get back onto them myself and demand a replacment for free, ask for a manager if you don't get anywhere. Its only a small issue really but thats not the point - i would have been expecting at least a call before collection to say the mirror is broke and i wouldn't have been happy about that either.

Seems to be easier in general to remove a faulty part and replace with a new one rather than repair these days, it gives a more troublesome free life to the customer incase the repair isn't top notch then they would be back in complaining again.

Most newly trained mechanics in the big franchises could be called "fitters" likely.

Liam

if its only a few wires then get some conductive paint from somewhere like maplins.
mask of the area of repair,if oyu look very closely you should see the break.
apply the paint with a very fine paint brush.the masking keeps it within the line as bodged lines show up every time you look in the rear view mirror

Stilochris said:
Also does anyone have the contact details for Fiat HQ so i can complain about the service?

Send stilosporting a PM, he's currently dealing with them over a problem. He'll have the phone no i think :confused: :)

thanks for the number sportingsmissus...

but, we have a result!!!

after much arguing with the garage, and lodging a complaint with Fiat, they have now relented and agreed to fix both the mirror and the rear screen on warranty. Woo hoo!!

i should be getting a call today to tell me when to bring the car in, well happy now
(y) :slayer:

Stilochris said:

but, we have a result!!!

after much arguing with the garage, and lodging a complaint with Fiat, they have now relented and agreed to fix both the mirror and the rear screen on warranty. Woo hoo!!

i should be getting a call today to tell me when to bring the car in, well happy now

I would lodge a formal complaint with Fiat anyway. They tried to charge you for parts covered under your warranty, which is just unacceptable.

Stilochris said:

but, we have a result!!!

Wait till you get the car back from the dealer and inspect every inch of it before you get too happy about the situation ;)

KoArAnG said:
Wait till you get the car back from the dealer and inspect every inch of it before you get too happy about the situation ;)

Yeah i will, dont you worry! after the farce yesterday, i wont be going back to them at all after Ive had the glass replaced

good to hear you got it sorted.

I just don't know where these garages get off, like last time we took the 2001 a6 to get new tyres (@£109 a piece I may add, although they are 19":rolleyes: ) they changed just the front as told (hard braking kills tyres apparently :rolleyes: ) they prised the centre caps off (plastic with a metal chromey coating, as they are the s line jobbies, an £1100 option:eek: , thank funk we didn't buy it new, they must have been sking around the workshop on them as when we got the car back there was a crack in the chrome where they had prised it with a normal screwdriver and not the audi tool in the boot, which we told them about, even offered to get it for them, and loads and loads of chrome had been scoured off the front of them for being smashed around on the ground:cry: , wheels weren't on the car, cost £600 on ebay with new tyres (Then eagle F1's, now Toyo proxes something), and from audi new centre caps would be about £190+VAT:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

they refused to pay and said 'these things happen and thats its just 'normal wear and tear', took em to small claims court and won, but only just, as the court reckoned that these things also happen and that it 'could be down to prior kerbing'. And since when do you see 19"/2 high kerbs:confused:

well, after last weeks ranting and complaining, the car has been in and is now back in A1 condition. Rear screen and mirror replaced and the work has been done to an excellent standard.

The service receptionist was courteous as well, but im still not going back to them for any more work!

cheers for the comments everyone(y)

Back