Technical Noob Cam belt help

Currently reading:
Technical Noob Cam belt help

muddy dunk

Hi first time noob poster here, i have tried searching for the info i am after but i did not find it :cry:. I have just brought myself a 1998 Seicento Sporting for the very cheap price of £50 :) the only problem is the head gskt has gone. So tonight i pulled the head off and lined the cambelt up to the timing marks that Audodata shows. But i am a little worried, Autodata does not show a very clear image of where the marks are and now i have removed the head no1 piston is not at tdc it is a little before. So has anyone got any pics of the timing marks so i can double check i have lined it up correctly. Thanks Duncan(y)

There are a few pics here somewhere (but they seem to have gorn missing from the Guides!). Anyway, pointless looking just yet. Get the head skimmed, the valves cut in and the clearances re-shimmed. Just replacing the HG is almost always a mug's game.

The pics in the Haynes Cinq manual and the Porter one are pretty clear.

Thanks for the replies. The other thing that worries me is the head gskt looks quite new, so either they did not fit it correctly or the engine is us:bang: i will have another look and see if i can find the pics:)

I have found a post in the guides bit showing how you change the head gskt on a cinq. The pic on there is not the best so can anyone confirm is the lower mark where the corner of casting sticks out or as mine was set with it lining up further round to the dent in the caseing. By the amount of bolts that where missing there is a chance that the monkey who did it before had it a tooth out so i want to make sure i get it correct.

I am taking the head in today so i should be able to put it back on tonight if i can sort the timing marks out :confused:

I think i have found a pic. Is my engine a fire engine or are they the same timing marks ? The thread i have found is in the punto tech section in the stickies. I can not post the url as i dont have enough posts yet.

Cool in that case the cambelt was out 1-2 teeth :eek:. The monkey who fitted it before also did not have the head skimmed correctly. The place that skimmed the head said it was miles out. They reckon it was done by someone with a stone, so they have skimmed it flat now. So i will be changing the stem seals tonight and checking the head over then i will put it back together tomorrow.:)

Back