2023-10-29 01 Classic car meeting, Blackbushe Airport (Large).JPG

500 (Classic) Noah's "Ark"ive

LHD 1971 Fiat 500L

Introduction

My 500 arrived with me at the end of August. Summary:

• LHD 1971 500L in blu scuro with bordeaux upholstery
  • Originally registered in Viterbo, then from 1975 in Rome.
  • Imported to the UK in June 2021
  • Registered by DVLA in the UK as a 1975 on a P plate
The Italian reg document had a date in 1975 based on the Rome reg. Date. VIN, features (e.g. type of badging, instrument cluster) point to a 1971 car. I also have a copy of an ACI inspection giving 01.01.1971 as date of "immatricolazione" and 20.10.1971 as date of first registration.

Based on this info and a letter from the Fiat 500 Enthusiasts Club and details of a list of VIN ranges and manufacture dates, DVLA updated the V5C and issued a 1971 reg :)

Here's how it looked with the Rome plates, and then with the first UK ones.

Named Noah since Noè is Italian for Noah (original UK reg was NOE)

And with current (1971) plates ;)
Reactions: porta and ben
OK: fuel pump removed along with the 2 pieces of hose (one end of which was partially cracked, the other end of which was pushed onto the metal pipe with no clip at all) and the jubilee clips which were not fully tightened. Replaced with a single piece of modern fuel hose and proper fuel hose clamps. I cut off the top of the filter to have a look inside and it looked pretty clean, so hopefully missing out the filter will not be a problem :)

Of course, I mean fuel filter removed :)

OK, here's a pic of the revised engine bay - no more fuel filter!

Also, I refitted the exhaust - after a long run out a couple of weeks ago I found that all of the exhaust nuts were very loose, and there was only half a gasket on one side and none on the other. Took everything off to check and to be able to fit new gaskets, and found a loose joint between one of the pipes and the silencer. Now all rewelded and back on (one thing I pondered on: the whole exhaust system is tiny compared to most cars' which have long headers, metres of pipework and multiple boxes...).

Also, I noticed that the air filter lid is badly corroded, so that will have to be replaced. (and it looks likes there's a clip missing from the right hand end of the hose from the air filter to the top of the carb...)

Finally, I gave Noah a little reminder of his roots with the "I" sticker on the engine lid... let's see if it get ruined by exhaust heat through the lid but for now it looks quite smart.

Attachments

• 2021-10-31 01 Fiat 500 (Large).JPG
    2021-10-31 01 Fiat 500 (Large).JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 2021-10-31 02 Fiat 500 (Large).JPG
    2021-10-31 02 Fiat 500 (Large).JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 2021-10-31 03 Fiat 500 (Large).JPG
    2021-10-31 03 Fiat 500 (Large).JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Look on the "Van de Laan Fiat 500" website. In the 'bargains' section of their 'webshop' they have a 2nd hand topcover for the fan-housing---E25! I will have a look among my bits and see if I have a spare top---I removed the complete filter housing on the top-cover of the engine that has a Dellorto FZD on it.

Look on the "Van de Laan Fiat 500" website. In the 'bargains' section of their 'webshop' they have a 2nd hand topcover for the fan-housing---E25! I will have a look among my bits and see if I have a spare top---I removed the complete filter housing on the top-cover of the engine that has a Dellorto FZD on it.

Thanks - I see that on the VdL website but I don't actually need that part, only the lid with the elbow hose fitting which seems to have rusted through along several inches of the edge where the clips fit into. I see that Ricambio has plastic replacements

Give me a coupleof days and I will look in my 'parts dept' and see if I still have that 'surplus to requirements' lid. If I have, you can have it.

My 500L had a plastic one so I am not sure when they fitted the plastic ones. I thought that the metal ones were only on the early cars but I have never seen one rusted through. I might have a spare one if Tom does not turn one up.

My 500L had a plastic one so I am not sure when they fitted the plastic ones. I thought that the metal ones were only on the early cars but I have never seen one rusted through. I might have a spare one if Tom does not turn one up.

Thanks to you too! Mine is a 1971, first registered in October as fr as I can tell. I don't know about metal vs plastic

I have had a good look through my 'spares dept'--I SHOULD have a spare, but I am darned if I can find it----sorry. Take David's (Toshi) offer up.

Thanks - I see that on the VdL website but I don't actually need that part, only the lid with the elbow hose fitting which seems to have rusted through along several inches of the edge where the clips fit into. I see that Ricambio has plastic replacements

I would avoid the plastic ones. I had one for a relatively short time and when my car started giving all sorts of strange running issues I eventually tracked it down to a split which had developed where the elbow is socketed into the round lid.....that can't happen with a steel one.

Well let’s face it the plastic started sometime in the production run of the 500 and continued throughout the 2,500,000 production rum of the 126 so they can’t be that bad.

A metal lid is a better option, anyways the build looks clean. There's a lot to polish but the update looks good.

OK, plastic air filter lid and replacement breather hose now in place.

The metal lid was really giving way in places - see the pic of holes rusted through on the edge plus one small hole starting in the centre.

The breather hose was also in a right state - not sure if it was originally intended for the 500; it looks the right shape but the end seems to have been torn off and the inside diameter is so big that it was just held in place by the shape of the hose. The new hose doesn't have any clips but pictures I've seen of other engine bays also don;t seem to have them and they are probably not essential since the hose was a bit of a force fit (boiling water over the ends before fitting helped make it easier) and there's about 5cm of hose on each fitting.

Also fitted a clip to replace the missing one on the main pipe from the lid to the engine, so now hopefully everything will stay in place nicely.

I'll keep an eye on how the plastic lid does.

Attachments

• 2021-11-04 01 Fiat 500 air filter lid.JPG
    2021-11-04 01 Fiat 500 air filter lid.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 2021-11-04 02 Fiat 500 breather hose (Large).JPG
    2021-11-04 02 Fiat 500 breather hose (Large).JPG
    394 KB · Views: 42
  • 2021-11-04 03 Fiat 500 breather hose.JPG
    2021-11-04 03 Fiat 500 breather hose.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 2021-11-04 04 Fiat 500 engine bay (Large).JPG
    2021-11-04 04 Fiat 500 engine bay (Large).JPG