No map in mopar

Currently reading:
No map in mopar

Morning guys
ive had a look to see if there’s a relevant thread to my problem but no luck.
I have a fiat tipo 2017 with tomtom uconnect live but went onto mopar and registered to then enter my vin number to find out no map update.
so went onto tomtom as i have an account and typed in the first two letters of the serial number ie sv and tomtom don’t offer either so i contacted fiat and managed to get elusive customers sales wanting me to book a slot and take the car for diagnostic check for £136 which i assume includes the update.
here’s the problem, the map in the car is 2016 which is out of date and i have a tomtom stand alone unit with lifetime maps, so not sure if it’s worth the £136 to update the built in nav when I have a tomtom or just part with the money to have the conveniance to continue to use the built in one OR does anyone know a way around it that i can update via usb?

hope you guys can help

thanks

max

Attachments

• 6AD5D273-ED0D-40F3-A990-4EB83B76B240.png
    6AD5D273-ED0D-40F3-A990-4EB83B76B240.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 244
Deciding if it is worth it to update is a tricky decision.

I have a 500X 2015 that came with TomTom. I updated it for the free period and when that ran out I did not. I also have a Garmin with lifetime updates. I did manage to gat a later TomTom update for free (just appeared on TomTom site for no explained reason ,,,,, maybe a tempter as i had not updated after the free period.

Personally I find the Garmin to be better than the TomTom. A big feature I love and use when motoring across Europe towing is the fuel stops on the right of the display. It is not perfect as it doesn't distinguish between "on your road" or maybe a mile or two off your road. However you can easily select the next/other fuel stop and the Garmin navigates you to the fuel stop and then get you back on your main route again.

The TomTom in the 500X does not have this feature which is a shame.

So when I compare 500X onboard TomTom with the Garmin then the Garmin wins especially on the long journeys. So I use Garmin for big trips (a pain to have setup in car) and the TomTom for general/emergency "oops I'm lost" moments.

Thankfully road changes (new or route changes, bypasses etc.) in the UK are few and far between so out of date maps for me is not a big issue. However were I a delivery, taxi, trucker driver then up to date maps would be fairly essential.

Have you done some test trips with both your satnav system running side by side? Even though both are TomTom based how do they compare?

Deciding if it is worth it to update is a tricky decision.

I have a 500X 2015 that came with TomTom. I updated it for the free period and when that ran out I did not. I also have a Garmin with lifetime updates. I did manage to gat a later TomTom update for free (just appeared on TomTom site for no explained reason ,,,,, maybe a tempter as i had not updated after the free period.

Personally I find the Garmin to be better than the TomTom. A big feature I love and use when motoring across Europe towing is the fuel stops on the right of the display. It is not perfect as it doesn't distinguish between "on your road" or maybe a mile or two off your road. However you can easily select the next/other fuel stop and the Garmin navigates you to the fuel stop and then get you back on your main route again.

The TomTom in the 500X does not have this feature which is a shame.

So when I compare 500X onboard TomTom with the Garmin then the Garmin wins especially on the long journeys. So I use Garmin for big trips (a pain to have setup in car) and the TomTom for general/emergency "oops I'm lost" moments.

Thankfully road changes (new or route changes, bypasses etc.) in the UK are few and far between so out of date maps for me is not a big issue. However were I a delivery, taxi, trucker driver then up to date maps would be fairly essential.

Have you done some test trips with both your satnav system running side by side? Even though both are TomTom based how do they compare?
Thanks for the reply, yeah not run side by side yet and have contacted tomtom to see if they offer an update

Thanks for the reply, yeah not run side by side yet and have contacted tomtom to see if they offer an update
With these systems I believe you have to download the update to a usb stick then put that into the unit then go through the menus on the car for it to find the update, I have no personal experience of doing this but there is an instruction on the tomtom website. If you can do it yourself then it’s going to be a lot cheaper than the silly money fiat want. Sadly these days built in sat navs are rarely worth the cost of continual updates.

Thank you Andy.
Yeah i only wanted it as part of a basic package options on my next newer car as i do a lot of travelling and the fiat tipo has a lot of features you’d pay a fortune to have on the likes of Ford,Vauxhall,VW ect

Thank you Andy.
Yeah i only wanted it as part of a basic package options on my next newer car as i do a lot of travelling and the fiat tipo has a lot of features you’d pay a fortune to have on the likes of Ford,Vauxhall,VW ect
These days most manufacturers are moving away from built in satnav in favour of things like android auto and apple car play, these use the satnav provided by your phone and never need updating by the car manufacturers normally they are updated free by apple or Google maps.

Generally these are seen as essential so are usually standard options rather than cost options on new cars

With these systems I believe you have to download the update to a usb stick then put that into the unit then go through the menus on the car for it to find the update, I have no personal experience of doing this but there is an instruction on the tomtom website. If you can do it yourself then it’s going to be a lot cheaper than the silly money fiat want. Sadly these days built in sat navs are rarely worth the cost of continual updates.

To be fair the fist price ain't too bad £99 for 3 years not cheap but not a total rip off

Back