Technical No fuel range or instantaneous fuel consumption showing

Currently reading:
Technical No fuel range or instantaneous fuel consumption showing

smoglee

Hi,
2012 1.2 panda.
Just failed MOT on emissions and on way home I noticed that the computer dash thingy won't show fuel range (despite the tank being 3/4 full) and there is no instantaneous fuel consumption showing. The average mpg is stuck at 5.6mpg.

The car has been stood for a while and all was good before.

I'm wondering if the emission issue is related to some poor data or such like.

Car runs like a dream.

Any advice welcome.

Sorry that my first post is a beg for help

Hi,
2012 1.2 panda.
Just failed MOT on emissions and on way home I noticed that the computer dash thingy won't show fuel range (despite the tank being 3/4 full) and there is no instantaneous fuel consumption showing. The average mpg is stuck at 5.6mpg.

The car has been stood for a while and all was good before.

I'm wondering if the emission issue is related to some poor data or such like.
I don't have anything specific to the 1.2 (my experience is TwinAir) however...

If it is just a short drive to the MOT tester then the trip computer will not have had enough data (distance) to start to make any meaningful calculation. Also, if you simply drove a short distance for the MOT and the car wasn't properly warmed, then perhaps turned off until your turn, the MOT should have warmed the car to a normal operational temperature but if everything was still "wet" from the two cold starts then I could see that the CAT might be struggling to clean up the exhaust.

If this scenario sounds possible (and there is no engine management light on the dashboard) then I would rebook an MOT but take the long route, perhaps via some dual carriageway which has the national speed limit and get everything properly warmed up...

If there's an engine management light on then you are going to have to get some codes read via the OBDII port and get the issue properly diagnosed, finding the root cause for the codes reported (don't just throw random parts at the error which seems to be way of the world these days ;) )

Good luck.

First of we need to see what it fails on there’s at least three things tested

CO
HC
lambda

And by how much

Post the fail print out

Before we can start to diagnose this part

Hi

If its had a flat battery.. and done very little since it may well be that the ECU isnt properly keeping the Fuel trim correct

Powered down it will foget all the 'learnt' adaptations that happens over the last months of use,

So the suggestions of a Long Drive may be even more relevant :)

Hi, I stupidly didn't receive the print out so I don't know what was bad or by how much.

😬🤦🏻‍♂️
Dam

If they just fail on

CO then take the car out and keep the revs high is normally enough to pass. You don’t have to drive fast just don’t change to the next gear

High HC would more than likely be a misfire

If it fails by quite a bit there’s likely to be a faulty part O2 sensor, Cat and do on

But without more information we gave very little to go on.

Are you sure it’s not stapled to the fail certificate. I had MOT done at different garages. It’s what they have all done

Fuel range and instant consumption disappeared on my 100HP when I had an intermittent throttle problem (poor connection, reseated connectors, cleared fault code and was fine again).
It had been sat for a couple of months which it seems to dislike!

Not sure it will be specific

🤷🏻‍♂️
Google
Mot history

Type in the reg number

Should show something like this punto

Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
  • Exhaust emissions likely to be affected by an exhaust leak front pipe broke (8.2.1.1 (b))
  • Nearside Front Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect (4.1.2 (c))
  • Offside Front Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect (4.1.2 (c))
  • Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid very weak (3.5 (a))

In my experience, garages rarely give you the printed page of the emission result. It may be to save on ink?

MoT database only shows pass or fail issues, not specific readings unless the tester types them in. When I had a diesel Accord fail, he told me verbally how far over the limit it was, 20 miles in lower gears than necessary with a bottle of redex in it got it passed. :) It's not called an 'Italian tune-up' for any other reason....

'REDEX'..?

a pouch of 'Uncle Sams' seemed more apt with my experience of 'Burning Rice' :rolleyes:

You are probably correct with printouts.. :)

Ive not had notable emissions fails BUT
Have marvelled just how LOW my twinair emissions are..

Those Zero VED cars obviosly had something right (y)

Back