Currently reading:

Hi Charlie, It's a 1999 Ducato 2.5 Tdi, engine number is 520716, I don't know what series but you might be able to tell me based on above info. It starts and drives really well but I feel it could do with a few more horsepower when climbing steep hills so I wouldn't need to change down to 4th gear.

There may be a chassis plate on the bulkhead, door frame or under the bonnet somewhere with loads, towing weights etc. that could have the engine Series number, hopefully something like 8140.** which should tell the Hp etc.

OK Bugsymike, I don't have access to the camper as I'm away at the moment. I'll have a search in a couple of days and report back, Regards, LarryK

I remember seeing 8140.47 on a plate under the bonnet, Regards, Larry

I remember seeing 8140.47 on a plate under the bonnet, Regards, Larry
Another Forum member just sent me this , so should have plenty of power, if that model and all running good.

8140.47​

The 8140.47 is identical to the 8140.27, has direct injection and a charge air cooler and provides 85 kW (116 hp) at 3800 min -1 ; Torque 245 Nm at 2000 min -1

OK, thanks for that info Bugsymike. The engine starts on first turn of the key, drives very well and isn't thirsty on diesel. I think the shape of the Luton body with overhead cab causes a fair amount of wind resistance which creates more noticeable drag when climbing hills. I suppose I'm comparing it's performance against a more aerodynamic car which isn't a fair comparison, Regards, LarryK

OK, thanks for that info Bugsymike. The engine starts on first turn of the key, drives very well and isn't thirsty on diesel. I think the shape of the Luton body with overhead cab causes a fair amount of wind resistance which creates more noticeable drag when climbing hills. I suppose I'm comparing it's performance against a more aerodynamic car which isn't a fair comparison, Regards, LarryK
Yes, the Luton is a bit of an "air brick";). If it is fairly quick of the mark pulling away, but loses it at higher speeds then aero dynamics may be the cause.
A few things, are you sure the turbo is giving full boost, no air leaks on hoses etc. Have you checked what weight overall camper is, by their nature they tend to have everything including the kitchen sink, so quite often may be near to 4 tonne than original design weight. How near to the rear bump stops is it.
Is it single or twin wheel, original design load may have been less than 3.5 tonne.
In the past with RWD it was fairly easy to fit a lower rear axle gearing to help , but more of a problem with a FWD transaxle unit.

Back