500 Newbie

Currently reading:
500 Newbie

Susisu

Hi, just joined, had trouble navigating this site as I'm a thicko with technology! I bought a lovely used Fiat 500 a week ago, I guess the seller turned the EML off to sell it, I had a diagnostics check and its the lamda sensor, apparantly I've been told there are 2, I'm taking it to a different garage than the one I had a check at. I'm having both done to be on safe side. When i bought this car the passenger door won't open from the outside, anyone else had this issue and can't afford to have it fixed yet, hope its simple job and not too dear. I also have had another light come on intermittently, its the stop start light, I don't have the stop start thing on it as it doesn't cut out when at lights ect, why would the light show up on dash if it doesn't do it? Its a 10 plate car.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210217-132826_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210217-132826_Facebook.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 22
Welcome, most people end here with an issue to start with but we're friendly here.
Have you checked how much both Lambda sensors will cost to replace with original equipment equivalent ones will be, they can be EXPENSIVE have a garage with the correct software to diagnose which is faulty and only replace that one.
The door handle, is the outside handle OK? not detached at one end? I would suspect the cable from the handle or rods have become detached probably not a particularly hard fix but may take some time.

Just disable the stop start and ignore the warning(for the time being)

Does "everything" on the hatch/tailgate work correctly?

Welcome, most people end here with an issue to start with but we're friendly here.
Have you checked how much both Lambda sensors will cost to replace with original equipment equivalent ones will be, they can be EXPENSIVE have a garage with the correct software to diagnose which is faulty and only replace that one.
The door handle, is the outside handle OK? not detached at one end? I would suspect the cable from the handle or rods have become detached probably not a particularly hard fix but may take some time.

Just disable the stop start and ignore the warning(for the time being)

Does "everything" on the hatch/tailgate work correctly?
Is it possible that the sensor just needs a clean? Maybe someone nearby could help out with MES face mask n all

Hi, just joined, had trouble navigating this site as I'm a thicko with technology! I bought a lovely used Fiat 500 a week ago, I guess the seller turned the EML off to sell it, I had a diagnostics check and its the lamda sensor, apparantly I've been told there are 2, I'm taking it to a different garage than the one I had a check at. I'm having both done to be on safe side. When i bought this car the passenger door won't open from the outside, anyone else had this issue and can't afford to have it fixed yet, hope its simple job and not too dear. I also have had another light come on intermittently, its the stop start light, I don't have the stop start thing on it as it doesn't cut out when at lights ect, why would the light show up on dash if it doesn't do it? Its a 10 plate car.
where are you based?

I asked the garage who did the diagnostic check if it was pre cat or after cat, they woukdnt tell me, I have asked another mechanic to look at it. As for the door the outside handle is OK, the tailgate is fine.

I asked the garage who did the diagnostic check if it was pre cat or after cat, they woukdnt tell me, I have asked another mechanic to look at it. As for the door the outside handle is OK, the tailgate is fine.
It could be the rod has popped out inside the door hence the inside handle won’t trigger the mechanism it’s straightforward to check just need to take off the interior door card 3 hex type screws two behind the door pocket trim and one behind the handle cover then the plastic card just gently pulls out and off

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi,

Very pretty 500.

Baglady is a good cheer leader for learning about how things work and having a go at diy if you wish too. Plus she is now very knowledgeable regarding the 500 having done a lot of work herself.

Good questioning if eml on due to pre or post cat o2 sensor code, shame they wouldn't tell you.

Fingers xed you find a good local garage.

There are a variety of codes relating to o2 sensors which trigger the eml each with their own reason. If you do find a good garage ask them to write down the fault code and let you have it , post it on here and you will receive help.

Door not opening from outside will need to be fixed for next mot.

Best wishes

Jack

Last edited:

Hi and welcome :)

Thats a nice looking car (y)

As you may have read.. the door handles are NOT robust..
It is quite likely the passenger handle has been apart.. and a fiddly plastic clip on the inside has come off.. so no longer connected to the lock :eek:

Well worth getting the sensors changed..
No warranty with the car?

You SHOULD be able to read WHICH sensor is flagging the fault.. swap them over ( once cleaned)

IF the fault comes back.. but on the other position.. you know its a dodgy sensor

Keep out of FIAT dealers.. just too expensive with a 10 year old car

The location of a garage : workshop will have a massive effect on hourly labour rates ;)

Charlie . . Near the M4

Last edited:
I also have had another light come on intermittently, its the stop start light, I don't have the stop start thing on it as it doesn't cut out when at lights ect, why would the light show up on dash if it doesn't do it? Its a 10 plate car.

Pretty little car - welcome to the club.

If the car has a Stop/Start light then it's most likely the S/S just isn't working - that's why the engine doesn't stop. The intermittent light probably indicates it wants to stop the engine but the operating parameters haven't been met*. There's should be a switch to turn if off below the heater controls, but you likely need to do so every trip on a car that age.

*For example S/S needs the battery to be in at least 100% condition.:)

Back