Technical Newbie with Punto JTD issues.

Currently reading:
Technical Newbie with Punto JTD issues.

Punto MC

Hi all!

I'm new, so please be gentle:D

I've just acquired a Punto JTD (2001 1.9) (from a relative, its a great car...or it would be if the little faults weren't there)

I was hoping someone might be able to recognise these issues and point me in the right direction, or let me know if i've posted in the wrong place, etc!

Ok, so, the main problems are:

Gearchange - this is very stiff, it feels like the 'spring' action that is apparent (more so in certain cars) has gone. This means that the level has to be pushed/pulled back into neutral / gears Thats the best way i can describe it, it doesn't return to the centre if you let go, if you see what i mean. Its liveable with, but not easy.
When i worked at Ford ages ago, something similar happened with a Focus and i remember it was relatively cheap/easy to sort (a spring was fitted underneath, i seem to think). I can't seem to see anywhere underneath the car, access to the underside of it, so dont know if i can fix it this way!

Next issue:
The turbo doesn't always seem to work. 95% of the time, i dont think its fully active (i say 'fully' as i can hear it spinning up a bit, and it gives just about reasonable pull around town) Its when anything is asked of the engine that the problem is apparent. Say for example, a gradient, the car will accellerate very slowly (almost as if its in 'limp' mode? And will barely pass 3k revs...then...if you keep trying.eventually..the turbo will suddenly cut in and you're away! When the turbo comes in, the car feels like it should, and like it did when i tried it ages ago (its been in the family for 5 years). I say 'cut in' as its like a switch, theres no spooling up, it just switches on instantly! (something used to say to me maybe an electronic / mapping fault, however i've also read something about a wastegate actuator, is this easy to find and fiddle with:eek:) Once it is on, it stays on until you slow down, and it will return to how it was. When cold, it wont come on, when warm, it will come on if the above is tried. If driving very steadily, it will not come on (only ever does if a good amount of throttle is app**** for several seconds at least.

So thats that!

Any ideas? I realise i could get an idea if i went to a garage and hooked up to a diagnostic machine, but i wanted to ask here first!

many thanks!! Great forum btw, i'm a long time lurker, really really want a Panda 100HP but can't afford it:(
Punto is great though, just need these issues (and a couple more) sorting out!

Can't help you with the turbo, but the gear problem is likely to be the linkage on top of the gearbox becoming partially seized. Easy enough to dismantle clean and lubricate.

EDIT:

I miss-read the stiff gears stuff (sorry) but will leave the clutch stuff anyway.

The first one is easy (well almost :eek:) - the clutch is on the way out. The funny pedal action and stiff gearchange are the symptoms. Fiats dont seem to wear the clutch until its slipping instead the pressure plate fails though the friction plate wont be far behind.

It will need a new heavy duty clutch kit (the standard JTD is a bit marginal with all the torque). Also make sure the actuator fork is ok and check the gearbox input shaft doesnt wobble - that would indicate the input bearing is on the way out.

The turbo issue could be the wastegate is sticking open so you are not getting any boost or it could be sticking shut so the ECU cuts the fuel supply to protect the engine. The only way to know for sure is to fit a manifold pressure gauge. A temporary one can be rigged up.

You may be able to see the wastegate actuator moving when you rev the engine but its not going to tell you if its moving correctly. Check its pressure hose anyway to be sure its getting the signal/power it needs to operate.

HTH

Last edited:
Back