Technical Newbie with a few issues!

Currently reading:
Technical Newbie with a few issues!

acmo

Hi all
Just got back with an ebay bargain, a 51 plate 110 JTD to travel around france in Aug (fingers crossed)
Needs a lot of small things doing like anti roll bar bushes etc, But the main things are:
Its losing coolant and needs the expansion tank filling up daily, although on route home from picking it up she sat at 80 on motorway for 4 hrs and temp gauge stayed on 2 bars, Once on the quiet roads of devon I put my toe down and temp climbed to 5 bars!

There seems to be a boost problem, its as if there is a split hose and under boosting rather than overboost. Although when i Filled up with diesel, i removed filler cap and the tank sucked in air as if breather blocked.

Im not familiar with these JTD engines and just wondering if anyone has any pointers.
Cheers

If its dripping coolant from the belt end of the engine, I would say water pump! Its only a crappy o ring and mine gave me all sorts of bother!
Problem is, its a cambelt off job...but that's a fairly easy job in itself..

Anti roll bar bushes are not as straight forward as other cars, The clamps that hold the bushes are welded together at the factory and so you will need to split them with a large flat screwdriver/chisel and hammer. You can get them from here... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-MULT...arParts_SM&hash=item19c94b393a#ht_1107wt_1163 Did mine recently and makes a hell of a difference!
The coolant problem could be anything from a split hose to a head gasket blown (although I'd be more inclined to say not the head gasket) is the electric radiator fan switching on? only when on the motorway it wouldn't need any extra help to cool, try running it at home for a while to see if the fan kicks in, leave a sheet of card under the engine bay so you get an idea of where any coolant may be leaking from.
Hope you get it sorted!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks for the tips guys, I have found the leak! return hose from under the engine cover to the bottle, some muppet bent the steel part so the rubber was touching the engine mount. Replaced and tested...all good.
Going to get underneath and look to see whats knocking over the weekend.
No progress with the power issues although MUCH better having replaced derv filter, and the air filter was SO bad it was heading up the inlet hose!

Does anyone know if you can blank off the EGR valve without the ECU throwing a paddy?

If it's been 'benefiting' from what sounds lack a severe lack of maintenance (judging by your comments about the filters), I'd try a strong dose of injector cleaner.

If the air filter was no longer properly seated, it's quite possible that you've got some crud stuck in the intercooler too. Perhaps remove it and blow it out in the reverse direction?

I'd replace the oil filter and change the oil as it's been a little unloved, if the air filter wasn't doing it's job properly the MAF sensor could be affected..
MAF sensor is a fine piece of wire which doesn't like any foreign objects at all, I'd disconnect the MAF and see if it runs any better, Sensor is just after the airfilter box, the connector has an awkward retaining clip BTW.
Intercooler can be removed but the front bumper has to be removed to do it, 30 minute job provided you've used penetrating fluid on all the screws and nuts the night before!

Yes
There is no doubt its been used and expected to start and drive perfectly with zero maintenance!
I'm just going to start with the basics oil and filters, suspension parts etc.
I will give the MAF a light blast with some contact cleaner. (I have the same issue with my audi)
Can you blank the EGR valve on these engines?

I will post a pic of the air filter! I have Never seen anything like it!

Last edited:
Did u get the 18mm bushes then?
Some places say 19mm...who's correct?

yes I did get the 18mm ones, apparantly the 19mm ones are for "a few rare models" according to the guy that sold them to me... they fit a treat! :)

EGR is fairly easy to blank, the EGR itself is behind the engine, top right.
If you look to the top right of the cam-cover, there is a silver corrugated pipe with a couple of joints that feeds into the inlet manifold.
Split one of these joints, there is a metal gasket in there which you don't want to lose down the back of the engine!!! Using the metal gasket as a template, cut a suitable blanking plate out of a large tin and you're sorted.

Cheers Momoe
Just wasn't sure if the ECU on the Fiats would like it! Already sussed out where to blank it ;)

Boilermansab, The "exhaust gas recirculation" recycles a percentage of the exhaust gasses in order to re burn and produce less emissions, Only in doing this it cokes up the inlet manifold and head, plus it will give you a little more go!

Cheers
Ben

Here's the Air Filter......No wonder she was cuffing out black smoke!

P2100005.JPG

P2100004.JPG

Although when i Filled up with diesel, i removed filler cap and the tank sucked in air as if breather blocked.

Im not familiar with these JTD engines and just wondering if anyone has any pointers.
Cheers

Mine does this also, I know I'm reviving a dead thread but is this an issue/concern?

Where is the breather located and how is it fixed?

Ta :worship:

Take a look at Eper (On the top toolbar), looks like there are two breather pipes coming from the tank which exit at the top of the fuel filler tube.

Back