Technical Multipla JTD gear change issues

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla JTD gear change issues

balldee1

Had a rear brakecylinder changed on jtd multipla a few weeks ago and am now not able to engage gears. Engine off I can change gear, but as soon as engine starts, unable to do so. Had a brake fluid level low warning and when topped up a little, warning stopped, but now no gear change. Any ideas?

The clutch and brakes share the same fluid and reservoir, so I'd wager that you've got some air in the system
Have a search on here for a how to on bleeding the clutch, which is a tad fiddly,but if i can do it,most should be able to.
Good luck,and let us know how you get on.

I fitted new/good second hand clutch pipe recently with help of mechanic.

He back bleed the system with "oil can" and short hose with all air bubble flicked out. Put this onto slave cylinder bleed nipple. I pumped peddle back and forth. It was done in about 15 minutes. We did not need to open bleed on bulkhead half way along. Turkey baster taking fluid out of top when it fills.

My kit is pressure bleed forward and is not as quick or as good as this seemed to work. Bubbles want to rise so going backwards is logical in getting them out.

Mine was empty.

First I would just try normal bleeding, I would squeeze the slave cylinder with hand to make sure nothing is in that and let air come out.
Bleed the nipple at back on bulkhead - that has helped me in past.

Took it to three local garages. First said gearbox linkage, second said clutch and third said definitely gearbox.. Mentioned to third garage the brake fluid low issue and thet said the clutch can't be bled. I persisted and showed them links on this forum and they agreed to try the backfill method---WHICH WORKED---can now change gear without issues AND have a healthier bank balance to boot and all thanks to this forum. Keep up the good work and let's keep the uglybugs rolling!!

I normally "prat" about for a couple of hours with forward bleed and you get there but needs 2 and you cannot get anything near to take the fluid that is coming out.

Backwards fluid goes to reservoir and you turkey baster it out. No nasty brake fluid all over engine bay.
Flick clutch pipes to help bubbles rise out.

Back