New Top Gear

Currently reading:
New Top Gear

I have nothing at all against Chris Evans but he gave me a headache on TG. Must be the pitch of his voice or something. The show has enough people to run without him. I think Chris Harris is excellent and Rory is good too, even if he doesn't know how to overtake safely in a left hooker! Matt has been a big surprise, and Sabine is a legend of course!

I've got to say, it's a real pity that Chris felt he had to leave. Bearing in mind that was the first series since the departure of Clarkson, May and Hammond, I thought they did a superb job, and if people had given him a proper chance, I reckon he would've found acceptance, and the ratings would've eventually started to climb.

It's alright lads, I've got my car sticker on order.

Untitled.png

Viewing figures have been plummeting & the Beeb have still been throwing money at the show, they obviously still want the brand to do well. It's certainly not the cash cow it once was. Threads like these tend to go round in circles & become repetitive, we all as petrol heads, have our own individual views on things.

I certainly don't hate the show, the cars will always be the stars. Even forgetting Clarkson & co, I would've had a better view if the show had even tried to put a different stamp on things, but it's not just similar to what once was, it's a carbon copy in some scenes & places, & even the wording was identical at times.

I don't for one second for all to agree with me, this is just my thoughts.....:)

Last edited:
I think the BBC misunderstood why the Clarkson show worked. It was three friends larking about and entertaining the viewers. The format developed from this, not the other way around.
I think to replicate the Clarkson show was the wrong decision, it created expectations that were never going to be met. I think the presenters have improved throughout the series and it is more a car show now, but the bits from the old show detract. Someone needs to be brave enough to invent a new show. It has been a car show in the past, but with a minority audience, it seems to be heading back that way. For car nuts, we'll probably love it, but for a mass audience it will miss the mark.

So now the challenge, invent a new show, with the theme of cars running through it, but not necessarily the main theme each week. Having presenters that gel together will help. So anyone have any ideas, send them to the BBC, make yourself a fortune.

Back