New Top Gear

Currently reading:
New Top Gear

Gotta say I happened to re-watch the 1st few minutes as I'd missed it originally and yeah I really do see what people mean about a bad Clarkson impression from Evans in the intros.

Give it time how many people remember new TG with Jason Dawe instead of James May?

You hide it well...
I know. Actually, I shouldn't slag off speccys because without them I wouldn't be typing this. It's just ginges, with their moley little eyes and grey skin. I seem to remember there's something in the Bible that infers God doesn't like them either and HE made them!

Haha this thread is nearly as much of a trainwreck as the show #shotsfired

Saw the opening on Gogglebox (couldn't face the actual show), and even that made me want to just cry.

Also look at this guy on Twitter. He's obviously very insecure and aware, or else he wouldn't be so actively defending it. 1000's of people watch that awful video with girls and cups, and differing quantities of the two. Doesn't make it an enjoyable experience.

Attachments

• Untitled222.png
    Untitled222.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 28
Can you blame the poor sod though? He's trying his best, but everybody hates him for daring to replace Jeremy Clarkson.

Let's face it, it really doesn't matter at all who the BBC got to present Top Gear: regardless of who they were, there was always going to be dark mutterings comparing them to Clarkson, May and Hammond.

Can you blame the poor sod though? He's trying his best, but everybody hates him for daring to replace Jeremy Clarkson.

Let's face it, it really doesn't matter at all who the BBC got to present Top Gear: regardless of who they were, there was always going to be dark mutterings comparing them to Clarkson, May and Hammond.

That's exactly right. He's trying to "replace" Clarkson - and the others. It's not a new show. Its the same gimmicks, it's the same awesome editing, heck, I LOVE the concept of the rally-x instead of the boring normal reasonably priced car. But it's sticking too much to the roots of the former show, which it shouldn't. There should be a clear departure as far as I'm concerned, new content, styles whatever. What I saw of it, it was an identical set up, Evans hollering like some youth climbing on a 3 foot brick lampost stand on a night out in Bournemouth striving for the attention of anyone (it happens), in some sort of Clarkson-esque style. It's the right formula as far as I'm concerned, i think Le Blanc is rather good, but it just doesn't have the same sparkle. Chemistry, what even is that?

Plus he wouldn't put people's backs up if he didn't keep trying to be "right". That and there was a big deal made about him stabbing them in the back by taking the job. Not sure what the fuss was, but apparently that was a thing.

Last edited:
But again, see it from Evans' point of view: he's damned if he changes the show, and he's damned if he tries to carry on where the others left off. He really doesn't stand a chance of pleasing people tbh.

But again, see it from Evans' point of view: he's damned if he changes the show, and he's damned if he tries to carry on where the others left off. He really doesn't stand a chance of pleasing people tbh.

Well yeah, but he knew this when he signed up. I cannot fathom he didn't realise the problems he'd face. :rolleyes:

The powers that be of the Beeb have told Evans & all concerned to keep the same format. They obviously seem to think this will be a cash cow even without Clarkson &co. As I said earlier Evans, like him or not didn't really stand a chance. Early days & all that but it's all been filmed.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Evans,but he's not too irritating. He can present & has done some things right, he's not short of a few bob. Top Gear however is a whole new ball game for him. To be fair it wouldn't have mattered who took on the job of presenting Top Gear, they would have suffered the same onslaught.

For me personally Top Gear is dead as we all new it. This would have been an opportunity to put a new slant/stamp on things. Would anybody on here step up to the job & convince the viewers of doing a sterling job of presenting Top Gear, I doubt that very much.:D

I thought it was better than the previous week although Christ they must be spending mega bucks on guests.

Still beautiful to watch if nothing else.

Something that has been annoying me crystallised this week...Chris Evans doing the power testing, I know Clarkson had a pretty penny but Evans is in a different league. Whenever they feature something rare and old I'll suspect it's from his private garage. He was going on about the mclaren F1 and all I could think was the only reason you haven't got one of these is because you chose not to buy one new or since...

Clarkson was more relatable somehow even though he was a million miles from his rotherham advertiser roots.

The difference would be something like the Veyron or the eagle speedster Clarkson seemed genuinely sad that this thing was out of his reach, (like the vast majority of people watching)Evans would be on the phone to his broker asking of they could get him 1 in white.

Last edited:
I'd imagine he knew he'd face problems, but I don't imagine he expected to receive this much pure hatred before they'd even started filming.

I can't believe for a minute he doesn't read his own press, he must know he's one of the biggest 'marmite' presenters on tv.

Back