Off Topic New remote keys for MK2/MK2b Puntos

Currently reading:
Off Topic New remote keys for MK2/MK2b Puntos

Well I took the plunge and signed up as a trader on the forum.
So I can now offer a bit of what I do for a living on the forum.
Which if it wasn't obvious from the title is keys. Remote or non
remote for any mk2/2b Punto (as well as most other things) My
remotes look different to the remotes Fiat originally supplied for
the 2/2b. But as a bonus they can be used with all the replacement
covers Fiat make for the later models.

Couple of pictures. Single button remote on the left that replaces the fixed blade remotes and three button
remote that replaces the flip remote from some of the higher
Spec models.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
Okay, so for those of us with only one working key how do we go about acquiring a second / third etc?

You presumably need our working key to copy? I assume you do mail order?

Price? Website or direct through the forum?

No I don't need a key to copy but I do need access to the car. Or I can program a new key by return post. But need the body computer for this.
If you take I look at the traders section all my contact details are there. Although my website is down at the moment.

Tim

No I don't need a key to copy but I do need access to the car. Or I can program a new key by return post. But need the body computer for this.
If you take I look at the traders section all my contact details are there. Although my website is down at the moment.

Tim
Hi.
Does your service only apply to remote control keys or manual ones as well?
I lost a manual key and had a mobile guy make a new key for me. All was well until some days later I needed to disconnect the battery for a maintenance job. After that the immobiliser prevented the car from working unless the emergency procedure was followed. I bought the original pin code from Fiat and that didn't work either. Fiat said that the body computer had been corrupted.Ended up changing all the locks, the, ignition barrel, ecu and body computer. It would be great for you business if you could re-assure everybody that your service wouldn't suffer this fate that I did!
Please don't misunderstand me - I am not in any way doubting you or your service. Just giving you the platform to re-assure that your work wouldn't end the same way as mine did!

Hi.
Does your service only apply to remote control keys or manual ones as well?
I lost a manual key and had a mobile guy make a new key for me. All was well until some days later I needed to disconnect the battery for a maintenance job. After that the immobiliser prevented the car from working unless the emergency procedure was followed. I bought the original pin code from Fiat and that didn't work either. Fiat said that the body computer had been corrupted.Ended up changing all the locks, the, ignition barrel, ecu and body computer. It would be great for you business if you could re-assure everybody that your service wouldn't suffer this fate that I did!
Please don't misunderstand me - I am not in any way doubting you or your service. Just giving you the platform to re-assure that your work wouldn't end the same way as mine did!

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Were you present when he made the key for you? If so do you know what method he used? Did he remove the body computer and program the key directly or did he plug into the diagnostic socket to program the key?
It is possible for a body computer to become corrupted but very unusual on Fiats. I did it to my Punto once starting the car on a booster pack. (only partially corrupted mine lost a couple of functions central locking and rev counter) but its something that can be resolved very easily.
But I have never corrupted a body computer programming keys and if I did i could resolve it in a few minutes on the car.
I would have been chasing the guy that did it to get it sorted. If nothing else he should have had your pin code to save you ordering it from Fiat and depending what equipment he used to program your keys he may well have had a backup of your body computers memory.
Without having the parts from your car to look at its hard to say what happened. Just to check did the code you ordered from Fiat work for the emergency start but not for programming to the body computer? If so then this would suggest that indeed the body computer was corrupted.
I would suspect either he had the body computer out to do it and programmed directly to the eprom. Then made a poor job of re soldering the eprom back. Or just a freak coincidence that you got unlucky and the corruption happened because of a voltage spike when changing the battery. (Unlikely but possible) This is far more likely to happen if the battery is connected with the ignition on.
If you still have the old ECU and computer. I'll happily take a look at them (free of charge) and see whats gone wrong. Even if the memory is shot to bits I can reprogram it all and get it working again. Then you could either keep it as a spare or sell it on to recoup some of your costs.

Tim

You sound like the guy I needed to be speaking to at the time! A great answer - thank you.
Thanks for your kind offer but it's not necessary now thanks.
To cut a very long story short - this is what happened:
The car a Mk2 Punto was daughter's car (passed on from her brother).
Daughter was away at Uni so I allowed the son to use it as it was cheaper to run than his lairy Japanese machine.
He lost a key at work when somebody had to move the car. He only owned up to it a few days before his sister came home. I went mad at him and told him it was up to him to replace it.
An original key from Fiat was around £150 iirc.
So he bought a blank key and took it, along with the car to a friend of a friend who was a mobile key man. I believe he did take the body computer out, but I wasn't there so I can't be sure.
So both keys worked fine and we were all happy. Then I had to disconnect the battery for some reason - but I am always very careful and the ignition would certainly have been off.
When I came to re start the car it was clear that it was immobilised. In the handbook there is a routine involving opening the throttle a certain number of times, and doing that enabled the car to start. But doing that before every start was not going to be an option, and as I didn't have the pin code I bought it from Fiat. I did speak to the guy that did the job, but as these sort of guys know full well, once you admit to having disconnected the battery who is to say I hadn't caused it? "Never happened before mate "etc etc. As my son already felt terrible I didn't want to make the matter even worse by getting in to a row I would probably lose, so once I realised that the pin code was not being remembered by the body computer, after some advice on tis forum, I eneded up at a scrap yard buying a matching set of ecus, computer and all keys. It took me a day but I swapped everything over and from there on it worked a treat.
So there we are!
You sound like a top bloke who knows his stuff- so good luck with your business. I always think that honest guys do well - I hope so anyway.
Cheers.

I can also offer a service but i only program the ecu via the diagnostic port and using your security code.

Not really had time to strip ecu's and work on them directly... its time consuming and i have a young family and a job so not really an option to spend my time reading hex etc... would love too though.

Can somebody here supply me with two remote keys without the electronics?

I have the original keys and mechanical code

Is fiat forum member Minirib still in business? Or is there a problem about sending keys to Finland? He quoted me for two keys and then I heard nothing when I asked him to go ahead.

Can somebody here supply me with two remote keys without the electronics?

I have the original keys and mechanical code

Is fiat forum member Minirib still in business? Or is there a problem about sending keys to Finland? He quoted me for two keys and then I heard nothing when I asked him to go ahead.

Tbh..
I've not seen a post lately...

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

Thanks. I suppose you must be happy with the quality of the plastic or you would have said........

Still have to get the key cut and I have no idea where. All I know here is talk of 150 euro to have a key done. Could be a Finnish law where only fiat can do the keys

I will have to PM the finnish members here and see what they can tell me.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks. I suppose you must be happy with the quality of the plastic or you would have said........

Still have to get the key cut and I have no idea where. All I know here is talk of 150 euro to have a key done. Could be a Finnish law where only fiat can do the keys

I will have to PM the finnish members here and see what they can tell me.

you can do that with mes
cables + transporder capsule and code

i wonder can you do that on transporder capsule that is already coded or does it have to be virgin, anyone tried it?

attachment.php

Attachments

• mes keys.PNG
    mes keys.PNG
    96.1 KB · Views: 124
you can do that with mes
cables + transporder capsule and code

i wonder can you do that on transporder capsule that is already coded or does it have to be virgin, anyone tried it?

attachment.php

Flisko

I only want the new blank metal key cut. I have all the other parts.

Maybe if i buy the blank key and give the local locksmith the perfect spare I will be able to get it done for less than 150 euro!

Back