General New Owner

Currently reading:
General New Owner

MultiPLF

Hi Folks

I've recently purchased a 51 plate ELX 1.6 petrol, got it on Monday 24th August, however, I had an engine control fault and tick over was very low and "lumpy" so it went back to the garage on the Friday, they replaced a sensor on the manifold, the first one they got was wrong and as it was the bank holiday weekend, I got it back Tuesday evening.

Everything seemed fine when I picked her up, brought her home, went out again and the engine control fault light came on again, tick over was still low and the engine seems to miss a beat (seems the best way to describe it) so it went back to the garage yesterday, still waiting to see if she's ready

Apart from the engine fault, I think she's great, easy to get in and out of, plenty of space, drives really well, handles well for the size, just a shame it smells like a wet dog inside (previous owners must have carried dogs a lot) a problem I'll tackle when I get her back

On a final note, anyone out there any idea of what sort of MPG I should be getting?

Pleased to make your aquaintance

Most common would be a coil pack cracked or a dodgy lead to the plugs but also ignition relays and injector relays all suspects and welcome:D.

It should be fixed soon enough, its not an inherently unreliable engine.

If you do short runs in town you may be looking at 20-25mpg. I had a 15mile mixed commute and managed 30mpg or just over. I did see 36mpg on one run but that was a steady run to London and back.

Its a big heavy engine so takes a bit of time to warm up and therefore inefficient when cold and then when you do get going limit your cruising speed to 60-65 or the aerodynamics/width start to use fuel.

Other than that the 1.6 was a great car to drive, torquey enough and not half as under powered as people say.

I agree with you, regarding not being really underpowered and the fuel consumption.

But if I would drive a 1.9 JTD for a while I would find it hard to accept my 1.6 Petrol.
I do some uphill driving and it's not bothering me. It follows the traffic easily.

On topic:
MultuPLF which code/s did they read out from the ECU ?

There has been trouble with the injectors for the 1.6 petrol engines. I had to change one, and the dealer said they had change quite a few injectors as well in these Fiat 1.6 motors.

Back