General New Number Plates

Currently reading:
General New Number Plates

Maxcaddy

As I'm taking the car to France this year I see that currently it has a plain set of plates and no GB sticker.

In the past I've bought new plates for cars that included a UK/Euro badge at the side which was all that was needed. However in the light of Brexit does anyone know what is required re Number Plates, i.e. a UK badge, a St George Badge, the words GB, or what ?

Cheers :cool:

Cheers, and that's a totally independent 'GB' ?, and not one as part of the plate ?.

I checked out the 'Gov Web site' and the're still quoting having a EU circle with 'member states underneath https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers :(

That webpage is about what you are allowed on a number plate, not specfically country identification.. While the mark on a plate was (is during transition) acceptable as an alternative to the GB sticker, the sticker is still acceptable and easier and cheaper to get than a new number plate. The mark on a plate may or may not be acceptable afrter transition but the GB sticker will be because it's an international convention, not just an EU one.

Robert G8RPI.

So in simple terms for an old person like me.......:)

You need a 'GB' either on a sticker, or on the Plate, from now until Transition, and after that no one knows, but most likely a 'GB' sticker will do.

Is that right ?

:confused:

As I'm taking the car to France this year I see that currently it has a plain set of plates and no GB sticker.

When driving in France you will also need:

UK driving licence.
V5C vehicle registration document.
MOT certificate (if applicable).
Car insurance certificate.
Warning triangle.
High-vis jackets for all people in the car.
Breathalyser calibrated to French alcohol limit (marked NF).
Headlamp beam converters if your headlamps are not adjustable for driving on the right.
Spare bulbs for external lights.

You could be fined 1500€ for carrying a speed camera warning device. This includes sat-navs, even if you have one in the car but don't use it.

You may need an emissions sticker ( Crit'air ) to drive in some towns and cities in France.

The mark on a plate may or may not be acceptable afrter transition.

According to the Gov.uk website, from 1st January 2021; "You should display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle, even if you currently have a number plate which includes the GB identifier."

Absolutement.

For anyone else venturing into France, I would also strongly suggest a Dash Cam as the frogs are ace at claiming right hand drive drivers were on the wrong side of the road etc :D

Also, the Breathalysers have a shelf life, I think about 5 years or so.

There is a weird situation with breathalyzers, in that it is law that you carry them, you have to carry 2 so if you use one you still have one. Also the law was never enforced as, a the time it came in companies could not supply enough of them (there where only two companies that made them) and the politician who introduced the law, just happened to have a family member who owned a factory that made them. As there where not enough to go round and a possible corruption problem with the law it never stuck. I still carry a couple anyway but if you didn't have them the french police don't normally care, as long as you have all the other bits.

Back