Technical New key

Currently reading:
Technical New key

madrat

I need to get a new key for my Marea, I have the red key and the locksmith on my local market says he can provide a new blue key and program it for £19, even if I didn't have the red key he said he could do it. Dose this sound right or not? I haven't asked Fiat because knowing their prices I might have a funny turn:eek:

Do you trust the bloke? I was under the impression getting new blue key programmed was a bit more complicated than that.

He seams OK and hes their every week, really just wondered if anyone but Fiat can program a key.

Just found that, is it true, can it be so simple:idea:

I dont get how a new key would already have a code programed onto the chip?????

Last edited:
Transponders in Brava/o Marea are manufactured by Temic (now Atmel) and are supplied pre-programmed amd fixed code (not re-programmable).
Punto are Marin EM4102 and are pre-programmed and fixed So it is possible to buy the transponders and put them in any key. Thats what Fiat do. Thats also why Fiat cant program a key, because their specification is for a fixed key.
Its also possible to get a programmable transponder, think up a 32 bit code, run it through a calculation, and produce a final code to go into transponder. This transponder then will behave exactly like a genuine Temic or Marin key.
I use part of this last system to reproduce working keys, but I get the required code from the immobiliser for lost key situations.
The local market guy has probably got a genuine key and just copies it onto a new programmable key, and He's not doubt done dozens the same. Remember that the security of the system is the fact that ALL genuine keys have a different code.

Last edited:
I will give him the red key to cut the new blue key (original blue key is very worn) but ask him to copy the code from the blue key.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm looking to buy my first Marea Weekend Diesel and they're not that easy to find. However, I've come across one that I like and at a reasonable price, but the guy only has the blue key.

Now, I'd read that you had to have the red key as it wouldn't start again without it once the battery had been disconnected, but after reading all this I'm really confused.

So, should I run away as fast as possible or is it safe to buy this with only the blue key?

It'll be fine - I bought mine with the blue key only and no probs regarding disconnecting the battery.

Thanks for the reply Tim, but I bought one with both keys in the end.

Back