Technical New headgasket and chain now tapping???

Currently reading:
Technical New headgasket and chain now tapping???

Outlaw1982

Hi guys, I've recently bought a non runner 2013 fiat doblo 1.3d, I was told headgasket failure was the issue so I bought and fitted a new gasket and timing chain kit, the van now starts easily but its smokey and rough running with a loud tapping noise from the top end, it's also throwing up fault code p2248 which is o2 sensors but this wouldn't make it rattle the way it is, I bought the timing locking kit so it should be all timed up ok, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I through more money at it, thanks

Hi :)

The joys of the untested motor.. :eek:

Did it run at all before.. or this could all be 'how it is'..?

Have you done a chain set .. with guides and 'extras' on one of these before.. ?( buying the tools suggests maybe not..)

I've not.. but the PANDA section has a fair bit of 'new chain' traffic..

That is probably the best place to look..

Somebody posted in last 7 days who has done 'several'

Oil pressure all looking good..? they rely on oil damping IIRC ;)

Good luck.. and let us know what you find

Charlie

Yeah it was definitely a long shot buying it as a full non runner, but the guy seemed genuine?, I've not done a chain on 1 of these before but been a mechanic most of my life so though I'd give it a try, I'm going to pull it 2 bits again once the weather warms up again, the only thing I can think is that it might be 1 tooth out as the flywheel locking tool had a very slight movement on it but the cams locked nicely, thanks bud ?

itsonlyme

Was the person I was thinking of :)

Over the years.. there have been many people on here who have bought similar 'failed chain' vehicles

Access in situ seems to be the common comment.. rather than complexity

And its the 'sacrificial' elements of the valvetrain that cost the money.. if necessary

But the tensioner 'slippers' do tend to get a mention too

Im afraid I dont recall any comprehensive guides on here though.. :(

What was the HG issue? Pressurising coolant??

P.s. P2248 has NEVER been mentioed on here before..
So its obviously a strange one.. ;)

Hopefully somebody with the knowledge will get back to you

Charlie

Last edited:
Hi All
The rule of thumb with a snapped timing chain especially if it broke at high revs is buy a running used engine [ with service history and low miles] replace the timing chain in that engine and fit that
My van has done 109 k if the chain snaps I going to do what I just said
My engine has had a new thermostat and fuel delivery pump over the last year or so i will fit these to the replacement engine when the time comes
There are hundreds of these engines for sale so easy to get one
Luigi

Back