Technical New Fiat Owner - Plus Questions!

Currently reading:
Technical New Fiat Owner - Plus Questions!

Se7enS1ns

Firstly, hello all - I've just test driven and subsequently put a deposit down on an '08 Fiat 500 Lounge 1.2 Auto (in yellow with Italy bonnet/roof stripe and electric sunroof) - collect on Saturday, and frankly, I can't frickin' wait - it's been so long since I've driven a "new" car that's actually made me laugh in a good way!

Whilst I was very impressed with the test drive, and pleasantly surprised by the clever little 'Dualogic' auto box, I did find the ride to be a little... skittish, for lack of a better word. I have a long history of driving fairly worked classic minis (still have a stage 4 spec'd '78 GT as a weekend toy) and so (if you know anything about Mini's, you'll know what I mean by this) I like my little nippy town cars to go round corners like their on rails - as all good little cars should! The handling was surprisingly very good, and more than acceptable in terms of comfort.

My only criticism really is that as standard, and running on 15"s which I can only assume were inflated correctly, is that I felt a little high up in terms of seated position centre of gravity, which felt as though itself could compromise cornering with enthusiasm. The ride didn't feel overly harsh - although from driving old Mini's, anything over rigid mounted hubs could be considered sophisticated (y)

Ok questions: I've done a little homework and read that the travel of the rear suspension is fairly limited in terms of travel before hitting the bump stops. I've seen for sale a full Abarth suspension kit, as retained parts from the Essesse upgrade. Firstly, would this be standard fitment to an '08 1.2 model without need for modification? Secondly, could anybody give an indication as to what drop in ride height this would give? Whilst I'd like to see a couple of centimetres lower ride height, I don't exactly want to be riding round on the spine shattering bump stops.

Lastly, any thought on the Abarth suspension? would I see a noticable difference in ride height and handling quality?

Sorry for the long post - thanks in advance for reading :)

Dan

Personally I'd go for bikstein b14 coilovers over the abarth stuff. It'll cost a little more but will improve things greatly.

Hi there, I am also an old mini man from way back 1966 Hydroelastic and rubber suspensions a speciality. Although I dont drive a Fiat 500 I do drive our '12 Ford Ka and this does corner prety good (but not as good as my old 1071S). As both the Fiat 500 and the Ford Ka share the same chassis then theres a starting point for you.

Personally I'd go for bikstein b14 coilovers over the abarth stuff. It'll cost a little more but will improve things greatly.

True, but at the minute I'm just spending the change from haggling on the price ;)

Do you happen to know if the standard Abarth suspension components are direct fit to a 1.2 model?

Hi there, I am also an old mini man from way back 1966 Hydroelastic and rubber suspensions a speciality

I like the cut of your jib sir! (y)

I did like the "chuck it in and correct as necessary" handling style of the 500, similar to the minis, at worst all you get is a touch of understeer, which feathering the throttle generally corrects - but the very upright stance of the car did make it feel a little topple-happy. The rear end did have a touch of hop and skip, but a bit of fettling with tyre pressure might assist a touch here. I didn't hit the bump stops though, which is a plus.

I didn't notice any particularly alarming body roll, but I do feel a slight drop in height and increased firmness of suspension travel would help a lot.

I'd like to have a little play with an Abarth setup just out of curiosity, but I'm not sure if it's standard direct fitment to an '08 1.2 model without need for modification.

Nice! Cheers (y)

What's the drop rate in terms of ride height of the Abarth suspension? I've been trying to find some book / technical figures, but no joy so far...
Well, being that the 1.2 is lighter, it won't be as low as an Abarth. Can't remember how much of a drop the Abarth is compared to a 1.2.

The Bilstein's come with revised bumpstops ;)

I think Jason might be able to talk the talk on this one. He does tend to drive his 500, how shall we say, on the fast side.

So I suspect he has somewhat modified suspension.

Are revised / reprofiled bump stops available separately?
Not that I'm aware. If you want to just lower the car for looks the Abarth suspension is fine, but the Billies are really the Rolls Royce of 500 suspension and do the job in terms of lowering, handling and relative comfort.

Not that I'm aware. If you want to just lower the car for looks the Abarth suspension is fine, but the Billies are really the Rolls Royce of 500 suspension and do the job in terms of lowering, handling and relative comfort.

I couldn't really give a monkeys about looks as I'll be inside the car driving it, not outside admiring it, but I do tend drive on the, well, enthusiastic style, shall we say...(unless my missus is with me).

In my head, fitting the abarth suspension will give a standard 1.2 (auto ;)) Abarth-esque handling - I know this won't literally be the case in reality, but any handling gains over standard without massive compromise to the ride quality would be a bonus.

I think an all singing all dancing coilover kit with adjustable ride height and rebound / stiffness rate would be a little wasted on an automatic gearbox unfortunately - as nice as it would be in theory!

I couldn't really give a monkeys about looks as I'll be inside the car driving it, not outside admiring it, but I do tend drive on the, well, enthusiastic style, shall we say...(unless my missus is with me).

In my head, fitting the abarth suspension will give a standard 1.2 (auto ;)) Abarth-esque handling - I know this won't literally be the case in reality, but any handling gains over standard without massive compromise to the ride quality would be a bonus.

I think an all singing all dancing coilover kit with adjustable ride height and rebound / stiffness rate would be a little wasted on an automatic gearbox unfortunately - as nice as it would be in theory!
Not adjustable in terms of rebound and stiffness, only ride height.

At £600 for the whole kit including inverted monotube dampers all round and proper damping and springs I think that's a bargain. I have been tempted many times to get them...... You're going to spend a chunk on labour to fit whatever you get, you might as well get something which is 100% ;)

You're going to spend a chunk on labour to fit whatever you get, you might as well get something which is 100% ;)

What is this "labour" word you talk of? ;)

You don't own a tool collection the size of mine and then pay some one else to do work for you! Never paid a mechanics labour charge in my life - other than an MOT test.

What is this "labour" word you talk of? ;)

You don't own a tool collection the size of mine and then pay some one else to do work for you! Never paid a mechanics labour charge in my life - other than an MOT test.
Fair enough ;) Still, go for the Bilstein's as they're shiny and beautiful ;)

Fair enough ;) Still, go for the Bilstein's as they're shiny and beautiful ;)

Maybe next - for the £160 for an unused Abarth setup, I think I'll dip my toes and see what improvements over standard it gives. I can always sell it back on at another date and try some of these Bilsteins if I'm not happy. I won't exactly be driving with all that much gusto in a semi auto anyway, more's the pity (GF can't drive a manual, hence the auto).

Cheers for all your help, it's very much appreciated :) I'll pop up a post with the results for future reference.

Back