New Fiat 500 !!

Currently reading:
New Fiat 500 !!

Yep, looks like Fiat UK have dropped a right one by deciding to start the range here with the 95bhp version at £11k!! Are they nuts????!!!! There should be a basic model on sale for around £6k. This is the market the car was originally designed for. As the Ka will be based on the 500, how much will the Ford be???

Andy.

According to the official Fiat press release there will be, from launch, a 1.2 8v and 1.3 diesel engines, plus a 1.4 16v 10bhp engine.

Where are people getting the information from that we're only getting the top-end models? From everything I've read we're getting the same range as everywhere else.

The 900cc 2cyl turbo engines will be introduced later on in the year with either 90 or 110 bhp with 20% better fuel economy as the 1.2 8v!

It doesn't say the UK is only getting the high-end £11K 1.4 models though... they've just said what ever other site is saying, basically re-writting the official Fiat press release.

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2007/cars/fiat/03/500/2103_official_pr.html

Press Release from Fiat:

On July 4, 1957, in Turin, Fiat presented the Nuova Fiat 500, a real icon of our times, with which Fiat concluded a revival that had begun straight after the Second World War. On July 4, 2007, exactly 50 years later, again in Turin, Fiat will present the new Fiat 500 which will be marketed immediately after the launch. And the new car will conclude an equally important cycle of revival for Fiat Automobiles SpA.

Developed by the Fiat Style Centre and manufactured in the plant in Tychy (Poland), the new 500 is a 3-door model with very compact measurements: it is 355 cm long, 165 cm wide, 149 cm tall and has a wheelbase of 230 cm, The car is extremely entertaining to drive, due to its three engines: a 75 bhp 1.3 16v Multijet turbodiesel unit and two petrol engines, the 69 bhp 1.2 8v and the 100 bhp 1.4 16v, all of which are available with five or six speed mechanical gearboxes.

The model confirms Fiat Automobiles SpA's undisputed leadership in this category - a result of its extraordinary heritage of technical, design and human experience accumulated in over a century - and it takes a quality leap forward in terms of comfort and safety, technology and equipment for this segment. The new 500 is the most up-to-date solution for the motorist who enjoys' his car in complete freedom, appreciates it for day-to-day use, but also wishes to drive a car that is entertaining and practical, environmentally-friendly and accessible, but also appealing and full of fun.

Hahah oops! :p 10bhp could be fun...!

Fiat500.com says the 500 is going on sale straight after the launch in Italy on the 4th July. I thought it was just a launch/preview, but that's great news for potential UK buyers. Hopefully we can expect it Sep/Oct not 'early 2008' as Auto Express was saying. Fingers crossed!

Definatly agree that this is a better recereation than the new Beetle and Mini attempts. The 500 has obviously grown-up quite a bit, and got bigger, but none of the styling has gone.

Can't wait for the Panda 100HP engined variant to come along. Will it have an open tailgate? ;)

:mad: :mad: Yes. But not if the prices are as silly as indicated.

This is a tiny car, and the orientals could easily bring over lots of their own minicars if Fiat creates a hole in the market by getting greedy. The Panda 100 is costly enough for a midget car, at nearly £10,000.

I've just been over to Oman for a break, and there I could get a Suzuki ZX4 2 litre automatic; alloys, A/C (of course), metallic, one year tax, one year insurance and five year warranty - for £9000. Plus it costs £7 to tank it up.

OK, I know such comparisons are invalid, but it helps to show how we are still ripped off here. No Fiats in Oman either by the way. I saw three Alfas and four VWs. Everyone drives Toyotas and Huyundais, and Kia is doing very well too, as is Suzuki with the Swift believe it or not. Lexus seems to be giving Mercedes and BMW a fright at the top end. Only saw one convertible Lamborghini and a handful of other silly cars. Korea and Japan rule.

The 500 needs to be priced sensibly, especially as we are being taxed to death:bang:

I've got to say, i'm getting pretty excited by all the news of the new 500. Originally the panda 100hp was hanging in there at the top of the list, but a chance to own something a bit more chic in the looks department, with the funkiness and quirkiness of a retro car is one i don't want to miss.

If they can carry it off like BMW did with the Mini then it will be brilliant. I must admit, i very much like the idea of being able to spec the car to your own personal tastes.

The Abarth version sounds stonking, though really for my requirements (relatively cheap running costs) then the 100hp panda running gear would suit me fine.

I'll bet its going to be a similar weight to the panda. Unfortunately the days of light cars seem far behind us.

I got an ultra cool brochure/booklet through today from Fiat about the New 500, it's called 'The Story of Joy', it has flip-up panels and tells a story of the 500.

Great marketing by Fiat (y)

Si

I got an ultra cool brochure/booklet through today from Fiat about the New 500, it's called 'The Story of Joy', it has flip-up panels and tells a story of the 500.

Great marketing by Fiat (y)

Si
I got one of those through today aswell! Quite bizarre really. It tells you nothing about the car. It's like a Fiat 500 advent calendar!

This car is all about marketing and 'image'.

The Mini sells as a fashion accessory; it's no use as a car, being fat, cramped and nothing special to drive either.

I had hoped that Fiat would tread a more delicate path between style, function and genuine value. Everywhere else they are selling a cheap(ish) car, here they know we have a constituency of suckers who are drooling to spec up their little bolides in order to cruise around showing off how rich their daddies are. Good for Fiat. But a lot of sensible people may rankle at the cynicism of the company.

The Mini sells as a fashion accessory

I had hoped that Fiat would tread a more delicate path ......

... suckers who are drooling to spec up their little bolides in order to cruise around showing off how rich their daddies are. Good for Fiat. But a lot of sensible people may rankle at the cynicism of the company.

I dont see this happening with the 500... lets be honest, everyone knows what a mini is... i mean it's heritage, it's the italian job, it's just pushed in our face for as long as i can remember, and to be honest it's cool..

i hate to say it... but the 500 isn't in the eyes of the public... I very much doubt any of my friends have even heard of it.
Me on the other hand i love it but that only because i've been exposed.

i dont see this becoming the same level as the mini, but i can see them flying off, as they are cool cars in their own right! (y)

maybe that will work in its favour, less hostorical baggage, more people can approach it afresh, and decide wether its for them purely on what they see and feel about it on its own.

i know the mrs had never seen one before i showed her the 2004 geneva concept, after which i showed her the originl, which whilst she thinks is cute, prefers the new one, something to do with turbos......:bang:

Back