New Driver cheap insurance tips wanted

Currently reading:
New Driver cheap insurance tips wanted

UCLoz

Hey im a new driver and have just brought my first car , a 1.2 grande punto 56 plate, im 17 looking for the creapest insurance and i am willing to go on my dads insurance, does anyone know any good insurance companies and tips on getting cheap insurance for young drivers, thanks :)

Don't go on your Dads policy. Two reasons:
1) Fronting is illegal
2) If you're being raped for insurance, you might as well earn your own NCB.

Bend over, and take it like a man. Insurance is expensive.

Be honest, and look at fully comp.

Don't go on your Dads policy. Two reasons:
1) Fronting is illegal
2) If you're being raped for insurance, you might as well earn your own NCB.

Bend over, and take it like a man. Insurance is expensive.

Be honest, and look at fully comp.

Exactly what he said.

Do not front.

Look at every insurance company possible and try different things like it might be cheaper to insure your car on the drive than in the garage and things like that.

Dom

As the above to have said, and your dad will only be able to use his NCD on one car at a time if your thinking of going down the dangerous road of fronting - seriously, its not worth it.

Can't afford insurance? Then sell the car and get a group 1 insurance car like a Panda Active etc.

Still can't afford insurance - get the bus (y)

Or a push bike.

Also try variations on your job title, can work.

I'm in an odd position where I'm both a full time student and employed full time. Confused my insurers - so they left it as student as it was fractionally cheaper for me (I'm assuming there is a note on their system somewhere).

I could get away with Merchant Seaman, Merchant Navy Officer, Sailor, Commissioned Officer (bit of a stretch, whilst I hold a commission, it isn't the Queens Commission like the RN) or Student.

ok thanks for the advise, what would you expect someone of my age to get for insurance if i were third party, and with my car ? also would it beneficial for me to have my dad on my insurance , say i was the main river and he was a name driver ? thanks :)

ok thanks for the advise, what would you expect someone of my age to get for insurance if i were third party, and with my car ? also would it beneficial for me to have my dad on my insurance , say i was the main river and he was a name driver ? thanks :)

No one can really say what it should cost you as there are so many variables, but stick it in your name and add your dad, mum and anyone else at the home who is older with a good driving history as a named driver and it should help to lower your premium (y)

Oh yeah, forgot that bit - do what you were thinking with insurance, but the other way round. Don't add Mum or Dad if they have any points/accidents/claims etc

Talking of forgetting, don't forget to compare Fully Comp quotes as well. TPFT isn't always cheaper.

Fiddle with the amount of excess too. Try both high and low amounts for it, might find (like I did) by reducing the excess by £100 you got £50 off. Not saying you will - it's worth a shot.

I would be surprised if you got anything less than a grand. Searching for insurance is like a game, you just keep playing with everything you can and see what works out best.

Thanks guys, have done what uve said and it made the quotes alot cheaper, and your right i found fully comp insurance alot cheaper then TPFT. just need to pass my test now, then ill be on the road.

Im 21 now, i haven't got a NCB but no incidents either.

I pay around £800 a year on a 1.2 Fiat Panda, witch isn't much less then what i was paying for a 1.1 Fiat Cinquecento when i was 18(n)

Adding parents can make a decent difference, i added my dad as he would be using the car too and it did bring it down a little.

Im 21 now, i haven't got a NCB but no incidents either.

I pay around £800 a year on a 1.2 Fiat Panda, witch isn't much less then what i was paying for a 1.1 Fiat Cinquecento when i was 18(n)

Adding parents can make a decent difference, i added my dad as he would be using the car too and it did bring it down a little.

How have you been driving 3 years but without obtaining any NCD then :confused:

I have found in the past that adding someone with more driving experience as a named driver on the new drivers policy brings the premium down.

Also try Adrian Flux and say you have a K&N filter fitted. Believe it or not they can undercut many insurance companies even with a modification declared. But they're only cheaper if it's a modded car! We fitted a comical exhaust to one of our promo vehicles and once we declared that we saved about 30% through Adrian Flux over the others as a standard car.

But other than that, there's not much you can do unfortunately. It's not what you want to hear I'm sure! :bang:

OP, trying "Ingenie". They fit a box in your car (boo hoo) but i promise you, it doesn't effect the way you drive.
It rates you on Turning, Speed, Braking ETC.

At the moment, i've been with them for about 4 months and my monthly installments have already dropped. and I RAG IT ABOUT.
For my 1.2 8v Punto.
I got my insurance for £2200, steep i know, but SO much cheaper than the 5-8k quotes i was getting!

I'm 21, 22 this year with 3 years NCB and pay £800 per year with Elephant for my 2009 Bravo Sport 2.0 Multijet 165T, seems a bargain compared with what I've been reading!

Anyway, Elephant and Admiral (same company) are very reasonable for young drivers - in my experience anyway.

Just go on compare the market, you'll struggle to find anything much cheaper.

Last edited:
Always always go fully comp if you dont and you have a crash you are screwed but as people have said go on compare the market, and admiral are always cheap for new drivers. Plus put named drivers down cause as long as they've had no claims or convictions it should bring the premium down!

Back