Technical New Clutch today

Currently reading:
Technical New Clutch today

HornetUK

Established member
The Stilo is going in for its new clutch today to cure the creaking clutch that occurs after about 20 mins of driving. Dealer said its the diaphragm, I still reckon its too similar to Punto slave noise. They have also said they will look again at n/s driveshaft that is still leaking even though it was replaced a week ago!

They have estimated 4 hours and it will be fixed, I presume thay wont test drive it / leave it running to see if noise still occurs after 20 mins when new one fitted? I just know I'll be back there tomorrow to show them the creaking noise is still present!

I'll let you know tonight.

For pinponting the source of a noise like that you can't beat an engineer's stethoscope. Get them on ebay for around £5

If you can get the g/friend to dress up in a nurse's uniform too then there's hours of endless fun:)
Again though, watch your dangly bits in those rotating thighs-uh parts- uh

Deckchair5 said:
For pinponting the source of a noise like that you can't beat an engineer's stethoscope. Get them on ebay for around £5

If you can get the g/friend to dress up in a nurse's uniform too then there's hours of endless fun:)
Again though, watch your dangly bits in those rotating thighs-uh parts- uh

As the caped crusader of stilo owners Decks you shouldnt have the problem relating to dangly bits in your tights (y)

45 min journey home from dealer no noise. They say they have fitted new clutch assembly. Slave not touched.

Only just noticed my receipt says RECOND. CLUTCHES KIT. Do Fiat supply reconditioned clutches under warranty?

Cost on bill £341 inc £280 labour, bet it wouldn't be this cheap out of warranty for a paying punter!

No sign of any work underneath though! Only drivers side driveshaft covered in oil! Hope its what they left rather than a new leak! I thought I'd see more signs of new clutch being fitted with bolts undone etc?

Last edited:
I thought Fiat only pay for a set no. of hours for each job. Presume out of warranty it would have taken much longer!

I'd only done 19k, when they say 'clutch assembly' is that the actual clutch or the surrounding workings like diagphram? It feels alot softer :)

HornetUK said:
I'd only done 19k, when they say 'clutch assembly' is that the actual clutch or the surrounding workings like diagphram? It feels alot softer :)

Clutch assembly means the whole thing Plate/cover/and release bearing and as for the softness well nothing will be the same and strangely enough I have usually found that its the original clutch that lasts longest has anyone else found the same ?

The thing is it's hardly ever the clutch itself that wears out- it's the damned release bearing which starts to seize and then grinds its way into the pressure plate fingers which produces the creaking and eventual collapse of the pressure plate. That's what Hornet, Stiloboy and Randomman had too.

If you ride the clutch or hold it on the clutch as a habit or sit in trafic with your clutch down for long periods then it just accelerates the bearing wear. Thing is that it's real easy to ride the clutch on the Stilo as it's very light, bites high and there's usually nowehere to rest your left foot (Unless you do a mod like I did)

Stilo clutches are soft and nice but that means they're a bit on the edge of their ability ie they only just carry enough friction to transmit drive and not much in reserve, as you find if you start doing some fast starts on a hill with that burning smell. Start doing some Angel tuning and it puts an overload on things and that CAN wear the actual clutch out but most of the time it's just the bearing. YOu could just change the bearing but by the time you've got access to it you may as well do the lot

It feels nice and soft when new which shows what a bit of lube in the right place can do. Lub some of the pressure points- notably the ball joint where the slave cylinder piston rod meets the clutch actuating lever and it can make a hell of a difference to the lightness and smooth action of the clutch when it's half way through it's life

Last edited:
Yes Cant agree more there with your comment[THEIR ON THE EDGE] and the accessability to the clutch pedal but Ive got dinky size 8 tootsies Decks so that doesnt worry me to much but yes Ive found that if you do push the car a bit the clutch does slip a little [now and again];) thats why its going to be a competition set up/uprated clutch next time round :)

HornetUK said:
I thought Fiat only pay for a set no. of hours for each job. Presume out of warranty it would have taken much longer!

From what I've been told, there are two labour rates; one for FIAT warranty that gets charged back, and one for retail paying customers. This is where the difference will be. Also I expect that warranty parts will be done at cost (or maybe a little in it for the dealer) whereas retail parts will have a greater markup.

Back