new car

Currently reading:
new car

just lately with some repairs needed to my car ive been thinking about getting a new one, petrol or diesel.

it requires about £200 spending on it in the next few weeks, followd by another £200 or around christmas time (as well as tax etc), and then the service and cambelt follows that a few months into 2009. Ive been offered around £2300 part ex for it, and was hoping that if i did sell it privately i could hopefully get about £3000 ish or so. thats a 3 and a half year old car worth 25% or so of its new value :eek:

im unsure at the moment wether to fix the car up, and get it all sorted, or sell now and get something else.

what im looking at atm is mini coopers (as they hold there value), as they have similar power (if a bit less toys). i dont mind going older or newer with these, and understand that they may have there problems as well.

its either that or try and get a few year old 1.2 panda or punto and save money that way.

hopefully in the new year i will have a decent wage rise and bonus, as well as a part time job so have lots more money to play with (a few £100 more a month).... i found this on ebay... which seems to good to be true, yet a bargain :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:uk

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Josh if your happy with the car I'd be inclined to say keep it and just pay what you need to keep it tip top. What sort of repairs?

Its a nice specimen of a Stilo and the part ex you'd get would be a **** take and you'd loose a lot of money no doubt. Also if you buy a Mini I'll slap you lol.

If you really do HAVE TO sell as long as its all in order I may buy it off you. One of the few stilo's I'd buy :slayer:.

Last edited:
it needs:-

new drop links (x 2) and front brake pads and discs (quoted £199 fully fitted at my local kwik-fit type car garage - bryan leightons)

a new light motor, and a new horn fitted.

as im hopeless at fitting these, i wouldnt attempt it myself.

i dont know how much i would get private, ive seen 5 year old ones in similar spec for around £3500 private round my area.

my tires have still got 7mm of tread left on them to.

if i knew how to fix things, i would be keeping the car i think.

it needs:-

new drop links (x 2) and front brake pads and discs (quoted £199 fully fitted at my local kwik-fit type car garage - bryan leightons)

a new light motor, and a new horn fitted.

as im hopeless at fitting these, i wouldnt attempt it myself.

i dont know how much i would get private, ive seen 5 year old ones in similar spec for around £3500 private round my area.

my tires have still got 7mm of tread left on them to.

if i knew how to fix things, i would be keeping the car i think.

Josh you can do all them things (except maybe drop links) yourself in 2-3 hours lol. If you paid my petrol I'd come do it for you (except for drop links quite easy but I havent done them before) :p.

And WTF is a light motor? unless its the levelling device? lol.

Last edited:
its the motor in the light, you can hear it whining when the engine is turned of but the follow me homes are on. its dropped the light a bit onto the road, so it doesnt shine straight ahead. it may be the case its either jammed or broken :(

So....

Front disks £50
Rear disks £36
Front pads £44
Rear pads £33
Total = £163 to do those yourself so £199 for them to do it (and drop links) seems pretty good (prices from shop4parts)

Headlamp scrappy (between £80-£90 new!!!) easy fit yourself

You know you dont want to get rid of it josh lol

i cant help but think im gonna spend quite a bit of money on my car for it to be quite worthless in a bit.

the mini in a way is exactly the same spec (maybe minus the roof/decent stereo).

the mini should also hold its value quite a bit better, and maybe in ayear or two be worth the same amount.

even if i choose to keep my car, theres no harm if having a look around at a few :p

when im 21 i might be in line for my company car anyway ;)

Last edited:
Theres only one thing this thread needs....
112_06naias_06z_mini_cooper_traveller_concept_front_driver_side.jpg

Josh do you want to be associated with that???? its over 4 meters long and is going into production...

i might maybe look at puntos/pandas around the £3500 mark?

i dunno if im being silly, or thinking with my head :(

im going to be spending about £1000 if not more on my car over the next year

Well look at it as how much you'l spend on the current car vs how much of that you would have to fork out on a new one, tax for example may be a mute point (depends on the state of the new car), same with 'light' maintenence with things like brake pads that may need changing but you don't know till you take a look after buying (not many folk like you pulling wheels off the car they're trying to sell).

See where I'm coming from? :)

screw that.... thought it looked a bit to good to be true tbh

'Hello,
You have contacted me for my 2003 MINI COOPER 1.6 Full chrome pack, chilli pack - 260297166433 that I have for sale at £3,200 on ebay. At this moment the car is stored in London and it will be transported to the buyer, to any address in the UK as i am paying the shipping. No scratches, no dents, no pets, non-smokers and meticulously maintained. I am working for Hilton Hotel and I have started a new contract for two years in Madrid, Spain and I am forced to handle the transaction from here and that's why I sent the car in London so it can be transported on my behalf. The transaction will be done through eBay and they will assist and help us during the transaction.
If you are interested in purchasing it i will need your full name and the delivery address so we can get the ball rolling. I will look forward to hearing from you
regards,
Susan Guy'

i asked her about 10 questions, and i get this reply which isnt even helpful :(

bank of mum and dad can help me fix my car up.... and maybe treat myself to a sub and remap for christmas with my bonus :devil:

i will just shop for our new staff car at work now ;)

They're tiny inside but big outside. Think reverse tardis.

Build quality is rubbish. A friend has one and it's falling to bits and rusting... rust! Flagship Cooper S too.

Think you're much better off fixing up yours. I'll sort your brakes out if you want - bet I can get the parts for about £60.

Back