Technical new cam belt problem

Currently reading:
Technical new cam belt problem

janes57

hi
ive just got me an uno 999 fire as a cheap run around and looking through the service history found no mention of a cam belt change so bought a kit and put new one on today.
it starts up eventually and runs like a bag of nails, overheats and squeals.i am going off little uno and will be back driving omega till uno is better.
my manual has not come yet so could someone please tell me which is my number one cylinder so i can get it fixed thanks
jane

Number 1 is on the left hand side as you look from the front, the one on the alternator side.

It's probably just a tooth out, it's easy to do, mine ran like a bag of spanners for about a week til I worked out what i did... not sure about the squealing or overheating, it might need a bit more investigation.

The squealing could be an over tight tensoner bearing. Belts make alot of noise when they are too tight (same goes for alternator belt).

thank you all
never had problems when doing cam belt on other cars will sort it tomorrow.
jane

I did my cam belt and when tensioning it, the top sprocket moved around a few degrees. It ran like a bag of spanners.

Looked at how far it moved, then adjusted it back accordingly.

Then looked at the timing. Works wonders now.

all sorted now it was out by one tooth, all i need to sort now is the rattle,handbrake,passenger window,speakers,idle speed and a few other bits.
thanks
jane

jjhepburn said:
The squealing could be an over tight tensoner bearing. Belts make alot of noise when they are too tight (same goes for alternator belt).

Been there done that. In my old 45 motor, it would continously jump teeth, then I got f**ked off at it, so grabbed the biggest longest screwdriver I could find and jammed the tensioner up against the belt tight as I could get it then did up the tensioner.

Made a god awful noise for about 4500km, then the starter gave up and the gearshift snapped off in my hand, and then I did the Turbo conversion.

Back