New Brava Model Training and Testing

Currently reading:
New Brava Model Training and Testing

bravo7.JPG

in UK cost is about the same, but you need to remember a diesel will get much better mpg, so the actual cost per mile is much less.

imagine $1.35 per litre for both (google suggests thats is current price is aus, which is bloody cheap!!! [57p/l])

if diesel gets 50mpg
and petrol gets 35mpg
and you do 12,000 miles per year

12,000/50=240 240*1.35=$342 for years fuel
12,000/35=342 342*1.35=$461 for years fuel

so you'd spend 35% more for fuel with the petrol

the extra it cost to buy a diesel is more than paid for by the lower depriciation and running costs if you keep it for a couple of years.

Fuel costs $1.35 per Litre, your calculation is based $1.35 per Gallon.

50 MPG (Imperial Gallon) = 5.65L/100Km
35 MPG (Imperial Gallon) = 8.07L/100Km

Average distance travelled = 15000km a year (I do half this)

((15000/100) * 5.65) * 1.35 = $1144.13
((15000/100) * 8.07) * 1.35 = $1634.18

Cost saving of $490.05 per year if you do 15000km a year. In my case I would save half that.

Depreciation of the diesel is a little better but not that much better than petrol. Service costs should be similar, I believe the service intervals are the same.

Troy.

Fuel costs $1.35 per Litre, your calculation is based $1.35 per Gallon.

d'oh you're right :bang:

average distance for UK driver's in 12000miles (19300km)

if you only do 7500km a year you only do 4660 miles, i do that in 2 months!!

just think, in one year i spend more time driving than you will in 5 years!

Last edited:
Ulpian, if your talking about the FIAT writing in pic 76 thats chrome but it reflected the grass colour. Just drive them anyway, just sneaked one of my customers out on my pdi car and they are sold on the car, very impressed, and if the customers are impressed then thats all that matters.

I love this car - although will want to wait for some better engines before I commit [plus I need to get my finances into order :eek:]

I sat in one at Brooklands as well. The interior was :yum:

Ulpian, if your talking about the FIAT writing in pic 76 thats chrome but it reflected the grass colour. Just drive them anyway, just sneaked one of my customers out on my pdi car and they are sold on the car, very impressed, and if the customers are impressed then thats all that matters.

Thank God. I was beginning to worry.
I saw them at my dealers this afternoon. Only briefly though as I was trying to find a 4wd Panda for a friend.

And yes; they looked good. My friend, who is only semi-interested in cars, said "a beautiful car" as we walked past, and I had to agree.

I'm going back tomorrow for a closer look; they are having a little pre-launch open day thingy or something.

Goody:yum:

Well,

I took a look this morning. And yes, a very, very pretty car. It looked good in the mouse brown on display as well.

Also, a very attractive dashboard and good materials, until you look between the seats....

There, that was reasonably positive wasn't it?

A few negatives however:

There was insufficient clearence for my clutch foot, and no foot rest. Almost enough, but not quite. See how positive I am...oh, and the driver's seat had no under thigh support. Possibly driving would clear this one up though?

The rear room was poor. I am only six feet tall but my knees were pressing into the seatback when sitting behind myself; but a shorter driver would not restrict rear space like this...still positive then ...

There was no spare wheel, only an inflate and go kit. So, on a cold, wet Christmas day, when your tire is cut - you are stuffed! Never mind, this might never happen...upbeat as always...

There were no alloys, just a very unconvincing set of plakky fakes. But I could order alloys as an extra...so I could have them for more money...

The storage consisted of a glovebox, door pockets, and a small cubby...nothing special...

The gearlever was on the 'wrong' side, not having been adapted to RHD...never mind, I could still use it...

There is a very cheap looking and feeling central cubby tray thing made out of nastier plastic than I can find anywhere on my Doblo...but it's only between the seats, so...

The rear visibility was, er, poor, but never mind, rear parking sensors are available as an extra...

This was the 90bhp "something"? version. Sorry, I didn't catch which, and I was told it was very competitive at only £12,450 or thereabouts??!!!!

What!

I then went to look at a Kia Cee'd. Similar 1.4, 90bhp engine. Alloys as standard, oodles of back seat space, a very smart interior which, although not flashy exhibited real quality; a comfortable seat with good support, lots of pedal space and a foot rest; and still with A/C and all the other usual kit. The Bravo has climate control apparently. Big deal.

And the Fiat still has a three year warranty. The Cee'd has a SEVEN year warranty, and costs only £10,000. Save £2,500 and get four more years guarantee then.:(

Oh, I think Kia is doing the 1.6 diesel turbo for the price of the 1.4 petrol at the moment, but I might be mistaken here...

I agree, the Fiat is prettier. Not as roomy or as comfortable, but still, prettier.

I also had another look at the little Panda. This has as much foot room as the Bravo, and feels good to be in as well. I'll wait for the 500 I think...not that I can afford a new car anyway. But I was hoping for the details to be perfect on this new Bravo.

I was told that it undercuts all its rivals. Obviously the Koreans are not considered as rivals. Probably Fiat is right, but I am not so sure. By the way, the salesman had never heard of the Kia Cee'd:bang:

The Bravo will sell well I am sure. I really hope so. There, I am still being positive...:confused:

Last edited:
Well, the salesman told me it was inclusive, and covered the exhaust system as well. I expressly asked about this.

Obviously not brakes and tyres.

I have to be a bit careful because these blokes are trying to sell cars, and although I always say I am only looking I don't want the poor things to get too hopeful.

Also, the little Huyundai Getz 1100, 3 door is being sold, this month only, for £6500, including A/C and non-remote central locking. This includes three years RAC, three years servicing (parts and labour - if you add £100 to the up-front cost) and a five year unlimited mileage guarantee. That's what the man said.

Now, in case you think I am a complete car nut, I am helping a friend look for a new car, so a lot of exploring is going on here...

I don't know where your salesman got his prices from- on the course we were told they start at £10995, and in the advert they showed us, and the advert in The Sun today- page 10. :confused:

For some reason the dealers are all getting the low spec versions first (which yours would've been, having a 90bhp engine). Not everyone wants alloys (in fact some won't touch a car with them), hence why they're an option on the lower spec cars.

Of the techs who drove to the training day, or those who own Stilo's, they all commented well on the improved leg room in the rear, not forgetting the Bravo has the largest boot space in its class.;)

The Kia Cee'd was one of the "rival" cars at the test drive, and many people were impressed with it, but it's all very well having a 7 year warranty if you don't mind it being in the dealer every 5 mins being fixed (I've known people who bought Kia's because they're cheap and deeply regretted it).

The VW Golf was bland and under-powered for the same money, the Toyota Auris was god-awful (I believe NumanR cut his test drive short it was that bad!), and the french cars were typically plasticky and full of creaks/rattles (bearing in mind all the cars had mileages below 3000!).

i was in a Hyundai dealers once when they gave a woman a £200 bill to replace what they said was seized manifold bolts, her car was only a few years old so i guess although exhaust is covered a dodgy dealer will say it don't cover seized bolts that snap off and get money out of you this way

Back