General New brakes making a clunking sound

Currently reading:
General New brakes making a clunking sound

pc99

Hi

I just had new front brake pads and discs fitted to my Abarth about a month ago.

Everything was fine, but just recently I've noticed on braking that just as I come to a stop I sometimes hear a clunking noise and feel it through the brake pedal too. It happens about 1 out of 3 or 4 times.

Any ideas what this might be? Is it possible that there's something wrong with the fitting (I just got a local garage to fit them)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

dan-the-man said:
You could take the front wheels off and see if the pin has been put back in the caliper properly.

Some twonk at a garage forgot to put mine back in on my punto and I was driving round without a pin for about a year.

Now I dont know if the 1.2 front caliper is the same as my 1.6 but if it is it doesnt use the pin through the pad system of fixing one half of the caliper fits onatop of the other and are bolted together top and bottom shims are in between the two halfs to apply pressure and stop moverment :)

PNL said:
Now I dont know if the 1.2 front caliper is the same as my 1.6 but if it is it doesnt use the pin through the pad system of fixing one half of the caliper fits onatop of the other and are bolted together top and bottom shims are in between the two halfs to apply pressure and stop moverment :)

ok then maybe not :D i haven't had the wheels off my Stilo JTD yet so never really looked at the setup, but I do need to check the level of my pads as they're the originals with 44k on them:chin:

Dan

had the same proplem when i jammed on i could hear a clunky noise an the pedal felt as if it was pushin up from the floor,its your a b s sensors take them out an clean em with a toothbush problem solved

dan-the-man said:
ok then maybe not :D i haven't had the wheels off my Stilo JTD yet so never really looked at the setup, but I do need to check the level of my pads as they're the originals with 44k on them:chin:

Dan

If you have alloys on your stilo Dan you may be able just to see the pad thickness if you turn each wheel out at the front of the arch its all according what spoke pattern you have the pad changing on the front of the stilo is simple and ime sure you will see this if you take the wheels of (y) if you cant suss it out post on here for help and we will all come a running :D

Well, it's still doing it.

PAW. I'm not too mechanically minded I'm afraid, but whereabouts are the ABS sensors. If it's straightforward to clean them maybe I'll give that a go.

If not, I'll just take it back to the garage and get them to have a look.

Thanks everybody for the input.

Well, I took it back to the garage and they stipped the brakes down again and put them back. They couldn't find anything wrong.

They then took it for a roadtest and it didn't make any noise.

However on my drive back to work it did it a couple of times. So it seems to be less frequent but it's still there.

Hmmmm hard to guess without hearing it,Well if it sounds hollow metal it could be a little excess play in caliper mount bracket or disc itself.
Are these std fiat stuff or aftermarket?

Might sound silly but my mountain bikes disc brakes can do the same as wot i think u might be saying,all i do is to clean disc and pad with a bike cleaner like "muck off" as it leaves no residue and is safe for everything as its water based.find a safe hill travel at 35+ then jump on the mother f***ers:devil: :slayer: .
OH and i take no responsibility!
Give "muck off" a try if u have no joy.
discs and pads react to even small amounts of cr@p residue.

If not find a empty straight on a indust est and hamper on the sqweaks to bed um in to see if it gos away.

Last edited:
Well, it didn't happen at all on the way to work this morning.

So maybe it was just some muck that's now gone.

I hope so.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back