Network/Internet Problem

Currently reading:
Network/Internet Problem

So i was happy browsing the net before when suddenly the computer decideds to restart. I thought how odd, nvm ill carry on.

So i get it back up and running, browsing the net and suddenyl dont find any sites, wont find my router or anything.

Restart computer, same again as above. happened a few times. Now i cant even browse the net.

I am using a Wireless Connection, Router im currently on wirelessly with my laptop. It says its all connected and ive got an ip and everything seems normal when i do ipconfig/all.

Used the msn connection trouble shooter and it says "your gateway appears to be offline.".

When you repair the connection it doesnt go much further than "disabling the wireless network adapter" and when it is disabled it wont re-enable and just says "connection failed". when i try to enable the LAN NIC it says the same thing.

Anyone have any ideas as im stumped and at my wits end with it :(

OS is Windows XP Home SP3
Wireless Card is an old D-Link G520+

ciurrently doing virus scans and so on.

Tried turning the router off and on again?

Do you know if your DNS is working at all?
Tried a "tracert www.google.co.uk" at the command prompt?

Do any other PCs in the house have this problem?

Able to connect via wire?

Router of multiple times. Got 5 Other Computers/Laptops and they all work.
Cant get Cat5 to connect. Reason being it is a problem on the computer as far as im aware

Driving me mad, what use is such a computer (Gaming, primarily online gaming computer) to me without the net :cry:

Ok, so at least we know it is a generic networking problem, rather than just a wireless problem.

All firewalls off? (including the Windows one)

When you get an IP wirelessly, are you able to tracert to any websites?

When connected by cable, do the network lights on the port flash at all?

Well ive just turned it on, connected to network, its connected to skype and all that crap automaticly, ran cmd and done "ping google.com". It responded with the first 2 and the last 2 got lost, repeat, all lost.

Done tracert on the google.com ip address and it says request timed out and wouldnt even tracert on www.google.co.uk.

It is still has its IP address, default gateway and all that. everything is fine when i do ipconfig/all

Cannot go to the otuside world....... or my little world known as my home network, wont go to the router ip or domain.

Turned the windows firewall of and nothing..........

Network cable is plugged in, its a massive peice of cat5 used on a regular basis across the house for various things but doesnt seem to work on the computer.......... says "network cable unplugged" still :( even after disabling and enabling........

just disabled wireless, tried to re-enable and it said connection failed again.

Have you tried just a normal reinstallation?

Do any other PCs in the house have the same problem?

You could do a repair install, rather than a full install, which would keep all your programs intact. :)

There's plenty of easy guides on the Internet, its not complex at all, it just involves pressing a different button than normal when installing. Thats it :)

What about removing the wireless card, then connecting via cable?

Ill have to try n see, not done that one yet :)

You could do a repair install, rather than a full install, which would keep all your programs intact. :)

There's plenty of easy guides on the Internet, its not complex at all, it just involves pressing a different button than normal when installing. Thats it :)

Yeh ive done reinstall repairs before, very easy to do :)

...suddenly the computer decideds to restart. I thought how odd, nvm ill carry on.
Really? I would have thought "it's broken". Random restarts are usually (though not always) a sign of failing hardware.

Interesting. That's usually one of two things:
  • Windows Update doing its own thing, and restarting a PC when an installation has taken place that was scheduled for a time when the PC was off. If you're a local administrator you get a warning message and the option to postpone. If you're not, you get no warning. Yes really, I know it's **** design.
  • A critical Windows service (like RPC) has failed. You should get a message box with a 30 second countdown timer when this happens though. 30 seconds to sort any open documents out and save them. Yes really, I know it's **** design.

Right ive had a busy few days so not had 5 minutes to even turn it on......

Got it on now, Got it connected on my mahoosive cat5 lead across the house.

Took out the Wireless Card and booted it up and all connected up instantly. So seems my Wireless Card is foobered.

Anyone recommend me a wireless card with a decent range on it and thats going to perform well. Never had problems with wireless until now( card is very old). And ive gamed on it alot and am happy with wireless.

I know i could go and use cable or homeplug but i dont want to just now...

Thanks alot :D

Im down with Netgear myself.
however, I've always found any wireless equipment to be a bit of a gamble.

Do, however, steer well clear of D-link.

Good call :slayer:
:rolleyes: :D
Linksys are my fav home networking company at the minute, belkin have been poor at wireless in my experience.

I was thinking Linksys due to the fact there basicly cisco components. Never used belkin my self though

Im down with Netgear myself.
however, I've always found any wireless equipment to be a bit of a gamble.

Do, however, steer well clear of D-link.

I have never had a problem with my d-link, until now. Its about 6 ish maybe even 7 years old at a guess. Could be more, cant remember when i first went wireless lol.

Any specific cards that are worth a look at with a larger range and speed etc?

Back