General Nervous newbie

Currently reading:
General Nervous newbie

TomMiller39

Hi all, I've just discovered this site, so thought I'd give it a go.
I have a 2013 Autotrail Tracker FB motorhome, which is based on the Fiat Ducato. I've had it for 3 years, and have added a few extras, tow bar, extra mains sockets, usb sockets, and various other bits and pieces.
My next project is to replace the infotainment unit for an up to date one. The current one is the 13ELE2000, it's really poor and I'm sure it runs on valves. It has an FM radio, TV, sat nav, bluetooth, and a few other bits. Not one of these works well or reliably, so it's time for a change.
Ideally I'd like to chat with someone who's been down this road, and can recommend a unit that fits ok, and works well. I've spoken to Autotrail and they tell me the dashboard is bog standard Ducato, so I guess any unit that fits a 2013 Ducato, will fit mine, but that's a guess.

Hi all, I've just discovered this site, so thought I'd give it a go.
I have a 2013 Autotrail Tracker FB motorhome, which is based on the Fiat Ducato. I've had it for 3 years, and have added a few extras, tow bar, extra mains sockets, usb sockets, and various other bits and pieces.
My next project is to replace the infotainment unit for an up to date one. The current one is the 13ELE2000, it's really poor and I'm sure it runs on valves. It has an FM radio, TV, sat nav, bluetooth, and a few other bits. Not one of these works well or reliably, so it's time for a change.
Ideally I'd like to chat with someone who's been down this road, and can recommend a unit that fits ok, and works well. I've spoken to Autotrail and they tell me the dashboard is bog standard Ducato, so I guess any unit that fits a 2013 Ducato, will fit mine, but that's a guess.
I grew up with valves many years ago. I think that they are still liked by audiophiles, due to lower noise levels.

In post 2006 Ducatos, changing the radio is not just a matter of plug and play. The radio is a node of the canbus network, which will most probably need a proxi alignment if radio model is changed. I am myself a novice in that area as my early 2006 x244 model does not have a canbus network. Proxi alignment can be carried out by Fiat dealers, or DIY is possible with diagnostic software such as Multiecuscan running on a Windows PC. An extra expense to take account of.

Hi i have a 2009 motorhome i put an Atoto 7 " A6 in no issues double din, cut out tray support and got a facia surround for about £14, about £200 on amazon been very happy with it put a fused switched connection to my leisure battery so with key off and out of ignition fully works.

Hi Tom

I can't be certain, but I think the 13ELE2000 was installed aftermarket by Auto Trail and isn't part of the Fiat Canbus System unless it has the steering wheel mounted control option.

As your van has a composite overcab roof panel, it is very likely that Autotrail specified the Fiat factory option of an FM and GPS antenna (aerial) built into one of the cab mirrors. These work ok-ish but aren't quite as good as a roof mounted setup. The TV (if you use it) will likely have a separate antenna on the roof. Depending on the vintage of the van, this may also supply a separate DVB-T tuner for the rear habitation area.

I think what I'm trying to say is that poor radio reception may not just be the fault of the head unit, so by all means fit a more modern unit but be prepared for FM to still be a bit marginal. If the new unit has DAB, you will need a new antenna for that.

I am still investigating, but it is my hunch that Ducatos produce rather more radio electrical noise from the engine management than they ought to, a case of being built to a budget maybe. This can mean that the radio is fine when parked up but less so when on the move.

Hi Tom

I can't be certain, but I think the 13ELE2000 was installed aftermarket by Auto Trail and isn't part of the Fiat Canbus System unless it has the steering wheel mounted control option.

As your van has a composite overcab roof panel, it is very likely that Autotrail specified the Fiat factory option of an FM and GPS antenna (aerial) built into one of the cab mirrors. These work ok-ish but aren't quite as good as a roof mounted setup. The TV (if you use it) will likely have a separate antenna on the roof. Depending on the vintage of the van, this may also supply a separate DVB-T tuner for the rear habitation area.

I think what I'm trying to say is that poor radio reception may not just be the fault of the head unit, so by all means fit a more modern unit but be prepared for FM to still be a bit marginal. If the new unit has DAB, you will need a new antenna for that.

I am still investigating, but it is my hunch that Ducatos produce rather more radio electrical noise from the engine management than they ought to, a case of being built to a budget maybe. This can mean that the radio is fine when parked up but less so when on the move.
I like to be able to hear my navigator when on the move, so radio stays off, and consequently vehicle generated RFI is not a problem. However may I suggest that with the numerous nodes on the x250, it may be more than engine management creating the noise.

Back