Technical |Need Some More Help lol|

Currently reading:
Technical |Need Some More Help lol|

Brae91

hi all...

i was thinking...how could i get a gearstick in a X1/9 to look like the one below...

many thanks

Brian

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 207
Its been done, you first would have to build a center console to house it, and brinh it to the correct height. then extend the gearstick etc etc

p1x200 have done one in their lastet project.

i just had a look on google for p1x200 and couldn't find anything....

i am bit of a noob to X1/9's could u explain what u mean by that?

thanks
brian

A word of warning on this subject

The X1/9 gearshift is (as I'm sure you've noticed already) a bit sloppy. Whilst in gear you can move the gearstick side-to-side across its entire range of movement. This isn't intentional of course, it is just the way it ends up.

If you go for a nice external gate like this you *have* to be prepared for some serious noise and vibration from the stick vibrating against the gate unless you take measures to dampen the vibration.

I would suggest shortening the gearstick and using the lightest gearknob you can find (the stock 5-speed one is pretty good actually). The gate itself would be a matter of experimentation as the exact shift points in the horizontal plane are not precise and depend on how the gearbox is feeling and how tough your engine mounts are, not forgetting the lollipop joint in the linkage.

If you "feel" how the linkage shifts from say 2nd to 3rd you will find it doesn't just shift up, then across, then up again, instead it is basically a diagonal movement direct from 2nd to 3rd with a short vertical section at the start and finish of the movement. This isn't a matter of being sloppy, it is how the mechanism works and very deliberate.

It can all be done of course but you couldn't just grab an old gate from a 70's Ferrari and expect it to work...

hi jimbro

i wasn't expecting it to be easy TBH....i just wanting to know if it could be done...and how it would be done...lol...

so you are saying....

1. shortening the gearstick and using the lightest gearknob
2. find out how big the gates have to be...(could i just measure it from when it is in netural to when in gear...then draw the gate to the measurements on carboard and cut it out and see if it touchs....then try it with stainless steel and hope for no diffence).

:confused:
thanks

brian

Shortening the gearstick is just an effort to remove some of the large vibration you get, effectively you are raising the frequency of the vibration which could prove to be worse if I am wrong so don't go cutting the gearstick yet. This is theoretical.... maybe I should have said that earlier.

For the gate I would suggest working with somehting like high density styrene sheet, it is flexible, fairly easy to cut and you can stick a few layers together to make something more solid.

The main point about the gate is that it won't be just a single horizontal sweep with vertical appertures along it (mimicing the pattern shown on the gearknob). Instead you will have to shape the gate to look more like a saw blade. (I'll try and put a mock-up illustration together and post it here later).

You *could* go with the traditional "H" gate but you may find you have to double clutch in order to change gear cleanly if you do.

hi

i have got me dad to get me some aluimuim from work to create the housing for it...i should start making it tomoz...i will put pictures of it when it is nearly done....

(y)thanks all for the help!

brae

Back